Mar 10, 2019, 03:29 AM
Thread OP
Idea

Another way to "scratch" build

Just stumbled up on this if You got space and money enough You could make your own factory produced model

My assumptions:

1. Make a 3D model of the plane You want to produce (maybe some may do this for You too)

2. Request for price of production/delivery
https://www.alibaba.com/product-deta...65cc45b9ScrpBV

3. Get 500 unassembled kits for 5-10$ each
Edit :found an alternative 50 kits 20$ each
https://www.alibaba.com/product-deta...61694a21ijbDZG
Or 10
https://www.alibaba.com/product-deta...45643a798s9cKQ

If You don't need 500 / 50 / 10 kits

4. Distribute the overflow for X$, maybe this is the new way of running a LHS today

BTW: I've no comercial interest in this!

Last edited by FLOEY; Mar 10, 2019 at 03:38 AM.
to remove ads between posts
Mar 15, 2019, 08:41 AM
Wow what a great idea. If we can come together with our own good design we could actually make money out of this.

Worst case scenario $10 per plane. When typical retail cost is $95.

Keep 4-5 each and sell the rest at $75 a pop.

I vote for a better version of the Multiplex Stuntmaster.
Mar 15, 2019, 12:04 PM
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dean Marshall
Wow what a great idea. If we can come together with our own good design we could actually make money out of this.
It's probably some hidden risk here, just my guess ... but it would be interesting to try!

Warning: Do not copy others comercial designs, good lawyers ain't cheap ...
Mar 16, 2019, 05:02 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by FLOEY
Do not copy others comercial designs, good lawyers ain't cheap ...
Agree, but i never copy anything, but as a Designer, we always start with 'Knowns', good knowns, otherwise you are not a true Designer as a true Designer uses facts and info to make the best possible design.

I think commercial designs are never optimum for flying, they play safe too much with the looks and aerodynamic aspects, hoping to appeal to the masses.

I.E. Where are the EPO models that look a bit different? Because of the huge costs involved obviously no one made anything noticeable.

IMO this is why EPO models haven't took off like they really should have done.
Mar 16, 2019, 06:08 AM
Are you sure the price shown actually includes a one off cost of the moulding tool?
The tool cost normally run into serious dollars - even in China!
Mar 18, 2019, 06:43 PM
low tech high tech
Yup, doesn't include tooling costs. Or shipping.
Mar 18, 2019, 07:03 PM
I Look, Listen, and Learn
Deleted.
Last edited by Timbo383; Yesterday at 06:04 AM. Reason: Not revelant
Yesterday, 03:36 PM
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by vtdiy
Yup, doesn't include tooling costs. Or shipping.
One of the slightly hidden extra cost ... I guess so go for 500

To do something like this requires some serious planning and preparations and expect to fail.

Just thought it would be fun playing with the idea.
Today, 09:06 AM
If my admitted limited experience is anything to go by the tooling costs runs into thousands or even tens of thousands of $ so for 500 tooling would likely be several times the cost of the parts and tooling would likely have to be paid for up front.
I suspect this sort of thing only makes business sense if ordering a production run of say, ten thousand.
Today, 01:59 PM
low tech high tech
And then you're talking advertising, distribution costs, retailer markup... business overhead, product liability insurance, office and warehouse rental, taxes and accounting costs. And the need for ten thousand modelers who want to build your particular airplane, which doesn't include gear. And that you sell the inventory in a year. Let's not forget the need for support staff, after sale, or to deal with returns, missing, and damaged items.

Hmmmmm......it's a lot easier, cheaper, and more effective to just build a model from scratch yourself, and then go fly it. It really is the only way to "scratch build", and still have fun at it!

Quick Reply