View Poll Results: What would you like to see done with Daylight Saving Time?
Get rid of it and use Standard Time year-round. 11 52.38%
Use Daylight Saving Time year-round. 3 14.29%
Keep it like it is now. 7 33.33%
Voters: 21. You may not vote on this poll

This thread is privately moderated by Miami Mike, who may elect to delete unwanted replies.
Nov 03, 2019, 03:11 PM
Build a scale plane already!!!
Maybe we can cancel leap year too and have Christmas in the Summer 300 years from now,,
Nov 04, 2019, 07:38 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by scale_only
It's all good if you want to let your kids walk to school in the dark I guess, just one reason,,, moving the patch of blanket to a useful area makes sense if you think about it

What's easier,, changing the clocks, or changing the time of day people go to work/school??
Those kids and how they get to school are not my problem. They are the responsibility of their parents, not me.

Sounds harsh but that is the reality. Every day I drive by groups of kids waiting for the bus while fat mommies sit in the SUV watching over them.
Nov 04, 2019, 10:40 AM
2.1.9 Forever
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by roids
Those kids and how they get to school are not my problem. They are the responsibility of their parents, not me.
I see it slightly differently. I'd say "Those kids and when they go to school are not my problem." Schools should adjust their starting times throughout the school year in accordance with changing sunrise times, if that's necessary for kids to not have to walk in the dark. They do that for park openings and closings, why not for schools? Working parents will just have to deal with it if their work places can't also adjust.
Nov 06, 2019, 06:48 AM
Build a scale plane already!!!
An easier solution is to have all the people who can't deal with it to move to mountain time,, problem solved,, you're welcome
Nov 06, 2019, 08:26 AM
ƃuıʇɐǝʞ ʇʇoɔs
I'd fine with it as-is (actually preferred the dates used before the last extension in 2005. But then again I'm biased as my work schedule has generally always been dictated by the sun, not the clocks.
Latest blog entry: Sagitta 600 build 2018
Nov 18, 2019, 10:10 PM
(deleted)
Last edited by aeronaut999; Nov 19, 2019 at 04:10 AM.
Nov 18, 2019, 10:21 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by BernardW

Finally after *three* referenda, I think it was the Liberals in power at the time and they accepted that people really, really didn't want it, and it was starting to smell bad that it got voted against but they didn't want to accept that and made us vote all over again. It felt like they were saying "And this time get it right!!" and failing to respect people's wishes and the democratic process. Of course we don't get to vote on anything of substance, the only other issue recently we got to decide was whether shops would be allowed to open for extended trading on sundays, holidays and so on. We don't for example, get a vote on the death penalty, voluntary euthanasia, abortion and so on... government doesn't trust us to decide for ourselves.
I'm surprised this post wasn't flagged as being political and thus not allowed in this forum. For a reply see https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/show...99&postcount=4 .

!!!!
Last edited by aeronaut999; Nov 19, 2019 at 04:30 AM.
Nov 19, 2019, 12:17 PM
2.1.9 Forever
Thread OP
As OP I suppose I could delete it, but why bother when it's already 6 months old and nobody would have noticed it if you hadn't called attention to it.

And remember, this is in Australia where I assume they "spring back and fall forward", plus there's this:
Quote:
Originally Posted by BernardW
the Liberals are in fact the conservative party...
I guess even daylight saving time and political ideologies are reversed in The Land Down Under. (And I'm not sure about daylight saving time.)
Nov 20, 2019, 07:56 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by aeronaut999
I'm surprised this post wasn't flagged as being political and thus not allowed in this forum. For a reply see https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/show...99&postcount=4 .

!!!!
My take is its not reportable. He was explaining the situation, not taking a position.
Nov 20, 2019, 08:00 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Miami Mike
I see it slightly differently. I'd say "Those kids and when they go to school are not my problem." Schools should adjust their starting times throughout the school year in accordance with changing sunrise times, if that's necessary for kids to not have to walk in the dark. They do that for park openings and closings, why not for schools? Working parents will just have to deal with it if their work places can't also adjust.
Good point about the schools adapting. The rubes around here fought off the "block" system like used in Denver.

My personal property taxes went up this year so the breeders with the eaters would have an improved school system. No one liked my suggestion of charging the parents 2 grand a year for each kid.
Nov 20, 2019, 08:18 AM
2.1.9 Forever
Thread OP
I must have been in a bad mood when I wrote that last part. I just think that those who are affected by the Earth's axial tilt need to make their own seasonal adjustments rather than imposing an annoying bi-annual clock change upon everyone.
Nov 20, 2019, 10:58 AM
What could possibly go wrong?
Quote:
Originally Posted by roids
My take is its not reportable. He was explaining the situation, not taking a position.
Thanks, though reading that post again I did criticise what happened and effectively directed that criticism to one party, so yeah, it's partisan/political to that extent. I hadn't meant to take a position for/against a particular party or their policies, and what I meant to do was just give a history of the DST issue here, but I did end up poking at one specific party. For the record, I despise both major parties here equally, and have no wish to tell anyone how they should vote or think. I don't remember who was in power for the daylight savings trial run(s) or any of the referenda, I just remember thinking it was a mess of a situation.
Personally I found that having DST here was of limited benefit, and that was all to do with having dealings with people or companies interstate. This was before live 24/7 internet banking and e-commerce, so it was more important to make your calls during Australian Eastern Standard Time back then. Now I think it's much less relevant. The main point against it was towards the end of the DST period, when dawn is later and evening sooner anyway, and it's still dark when you're going to work at like 7 or even closer to 8am. You adjust to anything, of course, but always, ALWAYS, a large proportion of people will forget to adjust their clocks at the beginning or end of the period, and there's always a large number of people late/early until they remember.
IMO it's more trouble than it's worth for the limited benefits.
aeronaut999, thanks for the reply, for the record I took no position on either abortion or euthanasia. FWIW, our state govt. is presently debating the form of new laws for voluntary euthanasia, I believe public opinion is strongly in favour, but nobody's mentioned anything about a referendum on it that I've heard of. IMO there should be one, so that the law can accurately reflect whatever the majority public opinion is.
That is a post *about* politics, but AFAIK it doesn't break the RCG policy on political posts in that it doesn't take sides. If that's not how it works, I'd appreciate it if someone would explain it to me.
Dec 01, 2019, 03:36 PM
People can't spend money while in bed so......

Quick Reply