May 03, 2019, 09:29 AM
An itch?. Scratch build.
Thread OP

Slowly, slowly .....

A bit more get added.

I decided that some work also needed doing regarding my garden and things around the house, so progress on the Lanc has slowed.

I have been applying some film, not to the model, but to the glass roof of the conservatory to reduce glare and heat. I have never sworn so much in my life . I should have just stuck some depron sheet to the glass.

But some latest pics of the progress. The other wing is now partially completed. I'm leaving the final sheeting until I am sure I have all the internals in place, and the outer panel is fixed to the inner.

Physical room to assembly the model is just a bit limited.

Ray.
to remove ads between posts
May 03, 2019, 03:21 PM
Build straight - Fly twisty
It all looks to be well up to the awesom standard we have come to expect from your mini (very) aircraft factory.
It's pleasing to see the progress. Good things take time...
Jul 04, 2019, 02:55 PM
An itch?. Scratch build.
Thread OP

Long time since an update.

Slowly, slowly, ....... shelved it, ........ got it out again.

This one is going very slow.

Ray.
Jul 04, 2019, 03:58 PM
Build straight - Fly twisty
Nice!
Any progress is better than no progress...
Jul 05, 2019, 04:28 PM
Looks brilliant. I gain so much inspiration from your builds.
Jul 08, 2019, 06:14 AM
Youtube channel : solentlifeuk
Nice one Ray ...

I too am engaged on a slow build Lancaster ... Chris Golds 93" version. But not in block foam as he has. Mine has a ply and pine box to fuselage then 6mm Depron sheet. Wing has all the ribs cut with ply for those carrying nacelles / CF rods .. and 6mm Depron for the rest.

Like yourself - space to work on it is the problem and mine is 'shelved' till I finish my Workshop.

Work has taken up so much time that I have had to delay Workshop completion.
Jul 08, 2019, 01:52 PM
An itch?. Scratch build.
Thread OP
Ply, ???, pine, ???

That sounds more like a full size Lancaster

Well I do admit I have used a little ply to screw the motors to, and some for the retracts.

Ray.
Jul 08, 2019, 02:04 PM
I cut out formers in ply with my Laser and then pine strips with bench saw ...

Created a skeleton and then sheeted with depron. Given the sheer size - I wanted strength but lightness ...

Back to YOUR Lancaster ... following with great interest.
Jul 08, 2019, 02:48 PM
An itch?. Scratch build.
Thread OP
Currently into doing the 'wallpapering', though using a mix of newspaper and a lined paper pad sheets, (fairly light), with a load of PVA glue for adhesive.

A job I hate, (along with many others).

Ray.
Last edited by eflightray; Jul 08, 2019 at 02:53 PM. Reason: Added picture
Jul 09, 2019, 06:20 AM
An itch?. Scratch build.
Thread OP

A slight deviation from wallpapering, still got the wings to do ...

The motor cowls. I really needed to sort these out so I can finish the nacelles.

My original Lanc used vac formed cowls using ice-cream tub lids for the material, (yes, there was method in my madness, I had to eat the ice-cream first ).

This time I decide to try some 3D printed cowls, (my Prusa was gathering dust). Just needed a good 3D CAD model. The result, ..... I learned to swear in 3D .

Back to the vac former with a slightly modified old balsa plug and some 0.5mm petg plastic sheet. (Well I blame the vacuum cleaner for sucking such swear words out of me ). Darn 'webs' in every corner, and considering it's quite rounded ........ . There's a great video I found on Youtube on how to get rid of webbing, ..... that totally fails to do so

Later, I bought some 1mm Plasticard, (styrene sheet), and decided to have another go, (you do know I'm crazy ? , but once a scratch builder, always a crazy ).

So these are the pictures hot off the press, or should that be hot off the suck

Still a quite a way to go, for a start a better finished plug. But I could almost say it was a success, ...... almost.

Ray.
Jul 09, 2019, 07:04 AM
Arrrr now ... I have Lanc 3D files !!

OK - what I did was modify another cowl to give me a 'near' lanc cowl.

Exhausts :

Cowl :

Turrets etc and cowl :

Files attached ....

They can be scaled to fit ... not exactly scale - but at least not far off ...
Jul 09, 2019, 07:04 AM
Danish? Don't U eat that??
Ice cream tub lids, eh? Bloody brilliant, if you don't mind my "french". To be honest, using any large emptied food containers that would have otherwise just gone in the bin makes a lot of sense. I'll have to try that sometime. Do you by any chance remember what temperature you set the oven at for that material? I'm guessing it's PE or HDPE...?

Oh, and the Lanc build is just a pure pleasure to watch. Well done, Sir.
Jul 09, 2019, 08:56 AM
An itch?. Scratch build.
Thread OP
Thanks for the offer of the files, Nigel, look like a good back-up just in case.

DKChris, oven temperature ?, same as I set for for a meal, probably 180 -200C for the 1mm plasticard/styrene, the oven doesn't show any numbers.
The 0.5mm petg was set lower and drooped considerably as it heated.

A warning though, some plastics can give of 'nasties' when heated and may affect food, beware what you put in a domestic oven.

Ray.
Jul 09, 2019, 11:08 AM
I'm no good when it comes to shaping .. I can never get each side to match - even with card templates etc.

The nacelles / cowls - I searched hard for something that could substitute. Little bit of work in Mesh Mixer and I had a passable item.

I modified to 2 sizes .. long and short ... once I get back to building again - I will choose which suits best.
Jul 10, 2019, 01:20 PM
An itch?. Scratch build.
Thread OP
Trimmed the cowl to see if it will fit and look right(ish).

This is were you realise you now have at least three more to make

Ray.

Quick Reply