Mar 09, 2019, 02:17 PM
An itch?. Scratch build.
Thread OP
Discussion

Started a replacement Lancaster

This could be a long term project.

After the demise of my previous Lanc last year, ( attack of the killer hedge ), the salvaged parts, everything except the body, wings, tail, kept staring at me, pleading me to make them a new home.

I started drawing up an A20 Boston/Havoc, then realised it looked too much like my B-25 but with only one fin, and only two of the motors. To use up those four motor it just had to be another Lanc. Well they do look ....... special.

So, another scratch build, and genuinely starting from scratch as there were no usable drawings of my original, but then that's the fun of making it up as I go along. Though I may later regret using the word 'fun'.

I don't do detailed build threads, just a few pictures occasionally, the rest of the 'design' is still in my head.

So here she is so far --

Ray.
to remove ads between posts
Mar 09, 2019, 03:06 PM
An itch?. Scratch build.
Thread OP

The continuing problem of being a cheapskate, and not wanting to buy more stuff.

At the start of the build I realised I had run out of 1/4" balsa sheet, I normally use it for full depth wing spars.

Then to add to the problem, my usual 1/2" balsa sheet for the leading edge was short. But I did have plenty of 1/8" balsa sheet.

So, thinking out of the box, (box of balsa ), I decided to try multiple 1/8" spars, and no leading edge, just wrap the Drepron sheet right round.

Why not ?

Here's another picture showing how the multi-spar arrangement will eventually work. Going to be a lot of 1/8" sheet striped down into 1/4" and 3/8" wide strips. This is just a try out, no glue yet, but I feel it will make a strong and light wing.

Ray.
Mar 11, 2019, 04:38 AM
Nice going Ray. I'm about to venture into the world of large depron models so I'll be watching your progress. regards
Mar 11, 2019, 07:48 AM
An itch?. Scratch build.
Thread OP
Thanks AMcC, here's the original Lancaster if it helps with any ideas ---

Another Lancaster, balsa and Depron, 98" span.

A few things are changing, the fuselage on this one starts with an inner 6mm Depron box, then the part formers added outside, then the skin.

The wing design is also changing. The original had 1/4" balsa spars, and a balsa leading edge, this one will be more like an early free flight model wing with multiple small spars, no leading edge, the skin will wrap around the front.

Many ways to end up with the same thing, and hopefully just add more lightness.

Ray.
Mar 14, 2019, 05:26 AM
An itch?. Scratch build.
Thread OP
A couple of additional photos.

The wing spars are now all glued in plus some bottom 3mm Depron sheet added to get the trailing edge position. The wings have come out quite stiff considering I am only using 1/8" balsa for the spares

I'm trying a new adhesive to me, 'Unibond 100% Power Glue 0% Solvent. Seems to work quite well. Not a contact adhesive like UhuPor, and has a longer time to 'grip', so fitting the sheeting should be easier. It still has a fairly short dry time.

Now to sort out where the wire runs will go, 2x ESC to motors, plus the aileron servo and retract leads. I like to keep things separate to reduce any cross-talk. I cut plenty of holes in the ribs, but not necessarily where I want them, now i'm starting to consider the assembly. All needs sorting before the final sheeting.

Experimented with a 3mm Depron wrap-around leading edge, works well, and with probably a little glass cloth should be quite durable.

Ray
Today, 11:00 AM
treefinder
Ray, the unibond glue sounds like a non foaming Urethane. Do you wet one surface for bonding? (found that in the fact sheet for it). How do you like it so far, and how long does it take to cure?

Quick Reply