Oct 25, 2020, 01:50 PM

Test fit all parts

Took some time today to test fit all parts. Everything fits fine also the tail where i had some doubts.
All parts including 4 servo's weights 211gr only have to add a reciever and battery.
Now i will take the time to assemble the falcon.
to remove ads between posts
Oct 25, 2020, 03:00 PM
Team Falcon
Excellent!

I'm sure you know this already - if you are going to launch right handed, the rudder looks to be upside-down in current orientation. Hinge-gap and rudder horn will be on opposite side compared to the throwing peg.

Looking good!

Jason
Oct 25, 2020, 03:15 PM
Yes, I know that.
I have a deviant here that is build correctly ( not by me) and will use that as a reference.
Oct 26, 2020, 07:38 PM
awesome sauce
Any news on the 2 piece wing yet?.... buddy of mine really want a 2 piece and liked my falcon.
Oct 27, 2020, 12:20 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scrib
Excellent!

I'm sure you know this already - if you are going to launch right handed, the rudder looks to be upside-down in current orientation. Hinge-gap and rudder horn will be on opposite side compared to the throwing peg.

Looking good!

Jason
is that to create drag and keep the plane turning right?
Oct 27, 2020, 02:45 AM
I am not the expert.
But I noticed some offset on the connection of the tail to the boom, could be to keep a straight climb during launch.
Also the servo will pull on the control horn of the tail (rudder). That to ensure that the offset you want to give during launch tothe rudder will stay that way.
If you mount it the otherway around the spring should keep that offset from the rudder. I don't think that will work. Because a lot of force will be applied to the rudder during launch.
(As a right hand launcher you plane will got to the left during launch i believe, so you should be able to correct that with the rudder)
Oct 27, 2020, 04:43 AM
Team Falcon
Quote:
Originally Posted by jp747
is that to create drag and keep the plane turning right?
There are a couple of reasons:
1) The first wag of the tail when you let go during launch is a severe kick to the outside of the turn. The rudder has an air-foil and built-in angle of attack so that it provides better 'lift' in this first tail wag - reducing the amount the tail kicks out after you let go. This has a notable benefit to launch height as less energy is wasted during the early part of launch.
2) the pull string / spring - you want the servo power to hold the rudder firm during the first critical tail wag (see #1), rather than only the spring power.

Note that the rudder appears to have a slight angle when mounted on the boom, this is actually 'straight' when you consider the airfoil shape. It is easy to have rudder trim incorrect because the airfoil shape is hard to eyeball.

Launch peg: despite a few posts I have seen that claim the launch peg affects the launch trajectory, this is NOT the case in my experience. My Falcons, and many DLGs before, launch straight as an arrow given the following:
a) wing is straight and has no warp or deformity
b) aileron trim is even/neutral
c) Rudder is correctly trimmed

Wing does not need to be laterally balanced.
Peg offers very little drag.

If your plane dives straight without any roll or yaw, it will also launch straight. Same same.

On older designs for some launchers there was a benefit to adding some 'right rudder' into the launch preset, to help with #1 above. I think this is not necessary on newer designs with large airfoiled rudder and lighter wing tips - but maybe something to play with if you think it will benefit your launch.

Hey Oleg, do you use a straight edge across the rudder flat side to set the trim, or should the flat side be slightly concave to match the airfoil design?

Jason
Oct 27, 2020, 08:17 AM
Oleg Golovidov
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scrib
Hey Oleg, do you use a straight edge across the rudder flat side to set the trim, or should the flat side be slightly concave to match the airfoil design?
Jason, thanks for the nice explanation about the launch mechanics.
Always install the fin such that the control horn is on the outer side during the launch, and the cable is in tension.

Yes, the "bottom" of the fin airfoil should be mostly flat.

For me, even with these larger fins, a small rudder offset is beneficial during launch.
The rudder control cable will stretch a little (not so much the steel itself, but the slack being taken off), and the rudder will deflect some under load. This also depends on how much rotation one puts into the plane. Some pilots are able to launch well with less rotation speed at the end; they do not need a rudder preset as much.
Oct 27, 2020, 09:00 AM
in awe of glide...
Regarding the weight of the launch peg, there is one instance where I notice it's effect although it is very slight.

When flying in dead calm air at minimum sink speed (with the ailerons trimmed for level flight for most other airspeeds) the left wing w the peg does tend to drop a tiny bit making a very gradual left hand turn. This is NOT apparent at any other typical flight speeds, fast or slow.

At first I thought it was the Rudder trim until I realized it was the slight weight imbalance in the wing. Of course, a couple/few clicks of aileron trim take care of it.

Oleg (or anyone), have you ever attempted to see the difference between a balanced wing AND an unbalanced wing w ailerons slightly offset while flying in min. sink speed?
If we could even be consistent enough to measure such a slight difference! I'll have to give it a try if I get the chance.

After writing this I realize I may be getting in to the margins of diminishing returns. Lol
Last edited by Kirkerik; Oct 27, 2020 at 09:09 AM.
Oct 27, 2020, 09:30 AM
in awe of glide...
On second thought, if one were to try and correct this slight left hand turn with right rudder (as we often rudder around while flying min sink) one may inadvertently enter a slight slip decreasing air time. Yes?
Oct 27, 2020, 11:59 PM
@Scrib .. thanks for clarifying that..I guess it also depends on how one launches it at a straight level release or at a rolling release inadvertently which banks the plane to the left if right handed..
@Kirkherik, I have noticed that slight turn or bank in still air.. if you balance the plane on a table it will obviously lay on the wing with the launch peg so I guess naturally in flight a slight weight on 1/2 of the wing will make an effect ..
Nov 05, 2020, 03:05 PM
Team Falcon
Part of Team Falcon met up for a practice session in central NC today. Weather was really gorgeous. 70F with light variable winds, sunny blue skies and some varied clouds.

For the most part we were crushing every 5min AULD with ease. Lift was usually reachable even with a questionable read/launch.

The standard layup Falcon was working very well, launching high and circling beautifully.

I think the team boss is gonna be mad that we didn't invite him! hahaha

Jason
Nov 05, 2020, 05:41 PM
Oleg Golovidov
Thread OP
Mmmmmm. Nice field and gorgeous day.
Wish I could be there with you...
Nov 05, 2020, 08:23 PM
Greg Short
That is a nice field. I’d be glad to come fly there one day.
Nov 06, 2020, 06:42 AM
Team Falcon
Hey Greg,

That's my local club field in West End, NC. If that's not too far from Snow Camp, I'll send you a shout next time there's something going on.

Jason

Quick Reply