Feb 21, 2020, 01:00 PM
F3B and F3K
I saw the Falcon perform at the last ECHLGF and I was impressed how well it launched ( Dick Proseus was out launching me...) and how well it handled and also hanged.

I bought a Falcon with small blems from Olegís latest delivery, which arrived yesterday.

Some nice engineering details, like the included ballast tube, finally a rattle free, integrated solution! Also the flaperon deflection jig and two different 3D printed servo trays are nice features.

The fuselage radio compartment is large, radio gear fits without any pains on a trial run.

Last pictures compare the nose cones of the Falcon and a NRJ (also a 4 in the pod design). I would estimate that the cross-sectional area is about 25% larger for the Falcon. However, radio and ballast install are painful on NRJ, and seemingly trivial on Falcon. So a little additional area goes a long way on convenience.

I was hoping to build an internal flaperon linkage using the parts from the Snipe 2 ( I made a similar install on my NRJ, and it turned out well). However, the Falcon fuselage narrows around the flaperon hingeline, making an internal linkage more challenging. Not sure yet how I will proceed.

Best,
Reto
Last edited by RetoF3X; Feb 22, 2020 at 09:19 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Feb 22, 2020, 09:55 PM
Brent Lytle
I, too was lucky enough to to be in this wave of Falcon deliveries.

I am blown away with how quick and easy of a build this was, and what a beautiful fit and finish! I started the build on Wednesday night and finished Saturday afternoon, I didnít intent on getting it done in a few days, but things just plugged in and worked. Only two times I mixed epoxy. The servo tray was a perfect fit, Tail plugged right in and was very simple to align. The pictures donít do it justice, but the glass tails are BRIGHT and well built.

Maiden tomorrow. As per tradition I took the pristine pre maiden photo so I can memorialize it if things donít go well. ;-)
Last edited by blytle; Feb 23, 2020 at 01:03 AM.
Feb 23, 2020, 07:31 PM
Brent Lytle

Maiden (2) complete

So I got the pleasure of getting to maiden the Falcon twice today.

First time I discovered at about 30% power launches the rudder would flutter. Cause? Ummm, well, vertical was mounted upside down - rookie mistake. In my defense, I knew the horn needed to go in the right side, but my time working on top mounted CX5s, my mental picture was upside down! Amazing how quick it let me know.

So, back home and on the bench. Cut the vertical off, flipped it over and mounted it the old fashioned way with two carbon patches. CG didn’t move, so it was a clean enough install. Since I had to re-string the tail, I had used up the supplied string in the kit, so off to the store to get some more beadalon. I like the coated beadalon better anyway.

Back to the park and maiden number 2. Much better! All trimmed up and ready to throw hard. Launches great! Looks like my tail install is straight enough.

Weather was very bumpy but it handled it well. Even with a fairly aft CG.

Final CG is 65mm. Neutral in a dive and elevator position stays fairly neutral in all modes.

Feels good to have it done and available to play with next weekend.
Feb 23, 2020, 09:16 PM
Can't wait to see it in person, Brent! Hopefully I'll have mine by the next TPG event.. eagerly waiting news of a a batch with mine in it so I can part with some $$ 😄
Feb 24, 2020, 07:39 AM
Team Falcon
Those sexy new Falcons carried me to 2nd place in the prelims at San Felasco, and without a couple of bad decisions on my part during the flyoffs it would have been a podium finish. Ended up 5th, and pretty happy with that!

I will confirm that the visibility of the glass tails and white fuse is second to none when at distance. I would not have traded that combo for anything. Being able to easily differentiate your glider in a gaggle of others is a significant plus IMO.

BTW as I wrote in the contest thread, I buried the standard layup (red) straight into the ground at significant speed - I had to be on the field in seconds from a ways away and when I pulled flaps a few feet off the deck, my elevator mix was a little to aggressive for such a high speed stop.
I thought it would be trashed based on how hard it hit, but it doesn't look to have taken a scratch. It got a few full power launches after that just to be sure.

So it seems that the current standard layup is pretty strong!

Team Falcon go! haha

Jason
Feb 24, 2020, 09:18 AM
Build and Fly
I managed to capture a pic of Scrib's falcon post "emergency landing." It's certainly a tough (and lucky) bird!
Feb 24, 2020, 10:39 AM
Wayne Wimbish
Now that's 'sticking the landing'
Latest blog entry: Paying for Purchases by PayPal
Feb 24, 2020, 10:52 AM
Oleg Golovidov
Thread OP
Jason!!!
Congrats on your strong finish and thanks for representing the team so well.
Try to be gentle with them Falcons next time
Feb 24, 2020, 12:30 PM
Great flying, Scrib!

Stuff ALWAYS happens and itís how you shake it off that matters. Well done!

Iíll be interested in Retoís build and his impressions of the model.

Our CO contest season starts next month and Iím excited to get going with the Falcon. But tomorrow itís time to shred some gnar pow (do they still say that?) at Mary Jane/Winter Park. Full winter in the Rockies.
Feb 25, 2020, 09:56 PM
in awe of glide...
Congrats on your great success, Jason!

I can't say I never stuck a landing before! Reminds me of that cool lawn dart game we used to play when I was a kid. Lol. It's good to know it's tough.
Feb 26, 2020, 09:48 AM
Team Falcon

SanFelasco

My Falcon and I started out very strong, in Jespers words, above my pay grade. By round 4 (poker) things started to change for the worse, I made a call that was to big and got stuck with something like a 2 minute flight! Things only went down hill from there. The plane flew well , but sinking air is sinking air. I must work on air reading skills. All in all a fun contest!
Last edited by CuttingEdgeBen; Feb 26, 2020 at 09:53 AM. Reason: Pics did not come thru
Feb 26, 2020, 11:45 AM
Oleg Golovidov
Thread OP
Ben! great job!
Even if Poker got the best of you
Thanks for representing Falcon in the warm sunny Florida!
Feb 26, 2020, 12:48 PM
Got the word this morning that my blue Falcon has arrived. I just started flying DLG 3 months ago. I hope I'm getting good enough to do the Falcon justice.
Feb 26, 2020, 02:57 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by RCphotoguy
Got the word this morning that my blue Falcon has arrived. I just started flying DLG 3 months ago. I hope I'm getting good enough to do the Falcon justice.
From experience upgrading from a vandal to the fireblade...
I can say the falcon will bring YOU justice!!!

Have fun!
Feb 26, 2020, 11:31 PM
in awe of glide...
Quote:
Originally Posted by RCphotoguy
Ooh nice,! I haven't seen a blue one yet. Congrats, and please post some pics.

Quick Reply