Thread Tools
Oct 11, 2020, 05:39 PM
Registered User
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xedos9er
After selling my Dart XL months ago, I want to get back in the game, since DJI now increased the range to 13km.
I'm struggling to decide wich plattform to use for my next build. First I wanted to build a mini drak, but at some point I don't want to spend 165€ just for the foam.
My goal is to use my 4s2p 18650 pack 6000mah or even a 6s1p 4000mah (45A Molicel P42A) and have higher speed than on my DXL. The dart xl could fly 120kmh on 2216 1400kv and 8x6 prop. I want 140-150kmh and flight time 30-45min is more than enough. But this could be an issue on the talon GT, since it's aerodynamics is way worse than mini drak.

Is there anyone here running high power setup on this plane (4-6S)? Any recommendations on a good and fast wing/plane with decent flight time?
You should check out the Strix Goblin. I've heard some pretty great stuff about it. It's supposedly incredibly fast and efficient with great flight characteristics. Andrew Newton on youtube just did a build and maiden of the nano version. I think he got the 1 meter wingspan version (which is the one I linked to) as well, and will likely do a video of that as well. Just something to consider, especially if you're looking for speed!
Sign up now
to remove ads between posts
Oct 12, 2020, 02:35 AM
Registered User
I know that wing, but it's hard to launch has high stall speed and wobbles significantly on rudder axis.

I need to decide between talon GT, Mini Drak, Harrier S1100 and good old mini Talon

EDIT:
Ok I pulled the trigger on the talon gt.
I also ordered the airB motor and 60A 6S ESC
Let's see how fast it can go on 7045 prop and 6S.

I also ordered a harrier s1100 kit to compare.
Last edited by Xedos9er; Oct 12, 2020 at 04:26 AM.
Oct 12, 2020, 07:52 AM
Registered User
PaunFD's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xedos9er
I know that wing, but it's hard to launch has high stall speed and wobbles significantly on rudder axis.

I need to decide between talon GT, Mini Drak, Harrier S1100 and good old mini Talon

EDIT:
Ok I pulled the trigger on the talon gt.
I also ordered the airB motor and 60A 6S ESC
Let's see how fast it can go on 7045 prop and 6S.

I also ordered a harrier s1100 kit to compare.
I hate people who spread "urban legends" ...

Would this seems "wobbling significantly on rudder axis" to you?! (keep in mind that the wind speed and turbulence are great enough so most of those "urban legend spreading" pilots would have not even considering getting out of their pajamas ... Just listen to the wind, and see the almost dried grass after plane lands... cause if would tell you that the wind-speed at 100m altitude was at 45kmh, you might not believe me)
Talon Gt, routine 50kmh winds speed, as usual. (15 min 34 sec)


Ah: you need to put some distance between the prop and the fuselage ... if you gonna install the RaceStar Air B.
The RaceStar motor is shorter than stock, so the prop will be closer to the fuselage - therefore motor + prop efficiency will be decreased. To deal with that problem, you need to put something between the RaceStar motor and its mounting plate, 2 or 3mmm thick, so the prop gets to the same distance from the fuselage as if it was on the stock motor.
I used some ... wood thingies from the ice-cream on the flat-wooden sticks ... and made some 4mm thick, 2 pieces plate.
Also the stock motor metal cross, does match only 3 screw holes ... but because the motor will push the plane, 3 screws instead of 4 should be enough.
Last edited by PaunFD; Oct 12, 2020 at 07:58 AM.
Oct 12, 2020, 08:35 AM
Registered User
Calm down, I was talking about strix goblin. It wobbles for sure.

Regarding the motor mount. I will design an adapter and 3d print it.
Last edited by Xedos9er; Oct 12, 2020 at 08:41 AM.
Oct 12, 2020, 10:52 AM
Registered User
PaunFD's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xedos9er
Calm down, I was talking about strix goblin. It wobbles for sure.

Regarding the motor mount. I will design an adapter and 3d print it.
Aaaa.
I have no idea about Goblin family, so I cannot talk about those.
Oct 13, 2020, 05:34 PM
Registered User
Quote:
Originally Posted by PaunFD
I hate people who spread "urban legends" ...

Would this seems "wobbling significantly on rudder axis" to you?! (keep in mind that the wind speed and turbulence are great enough so most of those "urban legend spreading" pilots would have not even considering getting out of their pajamas ... Just listen to the wind, and see the almost dried grass after plane lands... cause if would tell you that the wind-speed at 100m altitude was at 45kmh, you might not believe me)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JQNKz9P7MUI

Ah: you need to put some distance between the prop and the fuselage ... if you gonna install the RaceStar Air B.
The RaceStar motor is shorter than stock, so the prop will be closer to the fuselage - therefore motor + prop efficiency will be decreased. To deal with that problem, you need to put something between the RaceStar motor and its mounting plate, 2 or 3mmm thick, so the prop gets to the same distance from the fuselage as if it was on the stock motor.
I used some ... wood thingies from the ice-cream on the flat-wooden sticks ... and made some 4mm thick, 2 pieces plate.
Also the stock motor metal cross, does match only 3 screw holes ... but because the motor will push the plane, 3 screws instead of 4 should be enough.
Good to see that video, mostly the landing. Looks a lot like mine, steep glide slope and fairly high speed. I need to get back out and fly, just moved so not a lot of areas around that I trust yet due to airspace and whatnot.
Oct 14, 2020, 12:16 PM
Registered User
PaunFD's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by Herp Derpula
Good to see that video, mostly the landing. Looks a lot like mine, steep glide slope and fairly high speed. I need to get back out and fly, just moved so not a lot of areas around that I trust yet due to airspace and whatnot.
To be fair, that was a ... fairly hasty landing ... Usually i land a this plane bit slower, but not by much.
Oct 15, 2020, 05:26 AM
Registered User
Received my plane yesterday. I immediately noticed that the foam ist stiffer, than on my Dart XL from the first batch. Quality is really good. I also got a 8x6 APC prop and mounted the 2216 1400kv Sunnysky motor that I was running on my DXL.
I also ordered a 8x6 Folding Prop from Aeronaut. Let's see how it performes.
Oct 15, 2020, 01:31 PM
Registered User
PaunFD's Avatar
Good luck with the maiden, fingers crossed!


Quick Reply
Message:

Thread Tools

Similar Threads
Category Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
New Product NEW ZOHD PLANE (Official): ZOHD Dart XL “Extreme” SonicModell FPV Aircraft 3331 Today 07:20 PM
New Product Talon MINI FPV plane--official thread FPVSTYLE FPV Aircraft 16826 Nov 25, 2020 03:57 PM
New Product ZOHD Nano Talon 860mm Wingspan ***Official Thread*** guyst FPV Aircraft 4772 Oct 30, 2020 02:11 PM
New Product ZOHD Nano Talon 860mm, ZOHD Orbit Wing & ZOHD Dart Sweepforward Wing 635mm D Gains FPV Aircraft 246 Sep 28, 2020 04:31 PM
Video ZOHD Nano Talon...it's also a FANTASTIC RC trainer plane with beginner gyro mode DominicM Beginner Training Area (Aircraft-Electric) 2 Nov 29, 2017 03:06 PM