Thread Tools
Nov 04, 2019, 05:44 AM
Registered User
PaunFD's Avatar
I need a bit of help choosing a proper split-like camera for Nano-Talon BOp and for the Dart 250g (due to arrive).

I bought the Caddx Turtle V2 and turned out to be a bust in term of FPV feed, especially at distances above 8km but i did get some B/W image in my goggles even if my bird was around me within like 300 -400m up to 3km. Here is a quick example of the video quality that i've got in my goggles DVR from the Caddx Turtle V2 ...
PICT0498 (5 min 5 sec)
Idea is that anything that can give me a better FPV feed than this, worth considering. I'm looking at Foxeer Mix 2, but ... all the reviews that are out-there are done with multirotors which does not go further than 500m, and most (if any) does not have GPS on-board so i don't know (and i do need to know) if the camera's EMI jams GPS and 868Mhz or not.

To add to that, i "heard" that Runcam Hybrid 4K and Caddx-Tarsier do jam GPS big time ...
Sign up now
to remove ads between posts
Nov 04, 2019, 06:05 AM
Registered User
mshagg2's Avatar
Ive got the runcam hybrid 4k perched atop a pan/tilt mechanism on my FPV cruiser/test bed (bixler), which wont go much beyond 5km due to limited battery capacity. Have been really impressed with the picture quality and clean image I'm getting back from the hybrid.

No issues with GPS, but I have really good seperation on that plane, and run on 915Mhz (for what it's worth).
Nov 04, 2019, 06:33 AM
Registered User
PaunFD's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by mshagg2
Ive got the runcam hybrid 4k perched atop a pan/tilt mechanism on my FPV cruiser/test bed (bixler), which wont go much beyond 5km due to limited battery capacity. Have been really impressed with the picture quality and clean image I'm getting back from the hybrid.

No issues with GPS, but I have really good seperation on that plane, and run on 915Mhz (for what it's worth).
Thanks!

I'll keep on waiting for answers before i pull the trigger, i hope you don't mind.
I'm hopping that some of those who where very vocative in the past, in this topic, have encountered such problems or they have found some reliable solutions for using a split-like camera ... and i also hope that they are willing to give an advice on the matter.
Nov 04, 2019, 07:35 AM
Registered User
mshagg2's Avatar
Nah of course, I'm not here to sell anything lol.

To be honest I think I prefer the simplicity of a regular FPV camera + action cam for long range with a fixed camera as these zohd planes are built around. The split systems are also quite expensive here, but are great for getting HD footage on tilt and pan setups.
Nov 04, 2019, 08:22 AM
Registered User
PaunFD's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by mshagg2
Nah of course, I'm not here to sell anything lol.

To be honest I think I prefer the simplicity of a regular FPV camera + action cam for long range with a fixed camera as these zohd planes are built around. The split systems are also quite expensive here, but are great for getting HD footage on tilt and pan setups.
Same as I, and TBH i'm fan of KISS (keep it simple stupid) principle and split types cameras are by no means complying with the KISS principle. However, a split camera is great for planes like Nano-Talon, Dart 635mm wingspan and Dart 250g ...
Of course i could add to the Nano-Talon a Runcam 2 camera type, but for me, that will simply add too much drag and will infringe heavily over the speed what i would get for a given throttle (given Amp draw).

A Runcam 2 camera, i know for a fact that they don't interfere with 433Mhz, 868Mhz, 5,8Ghz or GPS freq, even if it stands on top of each of that antenna ... Given that, at this moment i'm tempted to buy some Runcam 2s so i get them out of their boxes and install into those planes. I'm not gonna do that just yet, hopping that there might be a split like camera which other people have tested with good results, because the Runcam 2 FPV feed is ... simply outdated in terms of many things, including resolution (600TVL).
Nov 04, 2019, 06:57 PM
Registered User
viper1's Avatar
I like my Runcams, even in the past from before the splits where around. When certain sensors where available from different 'manufacturers' I always choose runcam. Best service, easy resource of replacement parts, quick shipping and their cams have never let me down.

I can't help with a split, only had one split style camera , (not a runcam though) but that was rubbish and I didn't know how quick to part from it.

I will have an old HS1177, and a runcam 2 HD on my GT both on FPV feed switchable.
Nov 05, 2019, 11:45 AM
Registered User
PaunFD's Avatar
Thank you!
Nov 10, 2019, 07:46 AM
Registered User

DJI Digital System


I'm thinking of setting up a dji digital system in the Talon Rebel....I guess I would have to install the air unit outside of fuselage to keep it cool....wondering if anyone has already set this up? pics? Thanks....
Nov 10, 2019, 08:54 AM
Registered User
PaunFD's Avatar
There should be plenty cooling for the air unit in the Talon Gt's nose too.
However, i don't own a DJI Digital system ... so take it with a grain of salt.
Nov 12, 2019, 01:07 PM
Registered User
I hesitate between talon gt rebel and dart xl. Which is the best ?
Nov 12, 2019, 01:26 PM
Registered User
PaunFD's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by zeblade64
I hesitate between talon gt rebel and dart xl. Which is the best ?
If you want a bit more sporty flying, go for Talon Gt. If you want some real long-range relaxing cruising - go for Dart XLE.

In term of stability, i cannot tell that one is more sable at some noticeable levels, than the others. I do thing that the Dart XLE is a bit more stable, just a bit.
And with their stock power plants and both with 8x6 prop, Talon Gt is a bit faster for same Amp draw from same pack, Talon Gt getting at 85 - 92kph air speed while the Dart XLE is getting at 76 - 82kph air-speed.
However, Dart XLE can take onboard li-ion 18650 4S3P or 20700 4S2P which enables it to go against some 40 - 45kph wind-speeds, ranges above 30km, while Talon GT cannot take on board more than 4S2P unless there is no additional HD/4K camera or AUW is kept under 1400g. Dart XLE can fly at 1700 - 1750, or even 1800g without issues.
If Talon Gt's AUW goes above 1400g, things will complicate quite a bit in terms of launching, stalling speed and of course - landing speeds.

I no longer have the Dart XLE (i sold/donate/something to a close friend) so ... i cannot talk too much about it. But if you chose Dart XLE or Talon Gt, do note that even dough they can be used briefly (few flights) out of the box - some mods are needed to either of them. For those mods, you kind of need to read quite some pages from their respective topics and to filter information ...
To be fair, i have yet to get a plane to which i have not needed to do any modding ...

Hope that helps!
Hope that helps!
Nov 13, 2019, 04:53 AM
Registered User
Sebastos's Avatar
I think that Talon GT is safer too.
If you lose an aileron servo on Talon GT (maybe a tail servo but not sure), you can go back without any problems.
If you lose a servo on a Dart (and it's true on any flying wing), the game is over.
Nov 14, 2019, 07:07 AM
Registered User
mshagg2's Avatar
Alright. Back in action after my hull loss on the first Talon GT. Built around a 722 Wing this time, as I had one soldered up and ready to go from another project. Couldnt go without having one of these in my hangar.

Has anyone got tips on roll rates for INAV? From memory the plane defaults (250deg/s for roll, 150 pitch and 90 yaw) were perfectly safe, but I feel like it's a fairly agile frame and the flight controller would go well with a higher rate. Guess if I want to do it properly I can pull the logs from the blackbox and see what she will do in manual mode.

Paun - I've decided to run the runcam hybrid in this build. Idea being that it shaves a notable bit of weight compared to an FPV cam + action cam. Needed a small about of material to be removed to fit in the centre hole on the front panel. Will report back on performance. It will take a while to build my confidence back up before I send her off on any decent distances after the last one lol.
Nov 14, 2019, 02:25 PM
Registered User
PaunFD's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by mshagg2
Paun - I've decided to run the runcam hybrid in this build. Idea being that it shaves a notable bit of weight compared to an FPV cam + action cam. Needed a small about of material to be removed to fit in the centre hole on the front panel. Will report back on performance. It will take a while to build my confidence back up before I send her off on any decent distances after the last one lol.
Thanks! No rush!

It might take a while before i'll be able to buy a new camera, and ... i want to be as properly informed on this matter as possible ...

However, i dont see too much trouble with EMI inside Talon Gt's fuselage, because there is plenty separation possible between camera (and its electronic board) and any other electronics or antennas.

Again, thank you!
Dec 03, 2019, 03:52 PM
Registered User
Quote:
Originally Posted by mshagg2
Alright. Back in action after my hull loss on the first Talon GT. Built around a 722 Wing this time, as I had one soldered up and ready to go from another project. Couldnt go without having one of these in my hangar.

Has anyone got tips on roll rates for INAV? From memory the plane defaults (250deg/s for roll, 150 pitch and 90 yaw) were perfectly safe, but I feel like it's a fairly agile frame and the flight controller would go well with a higher rate. Guess if I want to do it properly I can pull the logs from the blackbox and see what she will do in manual mode.

Paun - I've decided to run the runcam hybrid in this build. Idea being that it shaves a notable bit of weight compared to an FPV cam + action cam. Needed a small about of material to be removed to fit in the centre hole on the front panel. Will report back on performance. It will take a while to build my confidence back up before I send her off on any decent distances after the last one lol.
just about todo same to mine, any more pics, how did you mount it?
PS. has anyone noticed that the the session mount and the runcam 3 mount does not put the camera in the correct place?
or is it just me?


Quick Reply
Message:

Thread Tools

Similar Threads
Category Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
New Product Talon MINI FPV plane--official thread FPVSTYLE FPV Aircraft 16048 Dec 03, 2019 11:57 AM
New Product ZOHD Nano Talon 860mm Wingspan ***Official Thread*** guyst FPV Aircraft 4423 Dec 01, 2019 01:45 PM
New Product NEW ZOHD PLANE (Official): ZOHD Dart XL “Extreme” SonicModell FPV Aircraft 3100 Nov 28, 2019 08:38 PM
New Product ZOHD Nano Talon 860mm, ZOHD Orbit Wing & ZOHD Dart Sweepforward Wing 635mm D Gains FPV Aircraft 242 Aug 16, 2019 02:06 AM
Video ZOHD Nano Talon...it's also a FANTASTIC RC trainer plane with beginner gyro mode DominicM Beginner Training Area (Aircraft-Electric) 2 Nov 29, 2017 03:06 PM