Sep 12, 2019, 03:26 PM
Nice flight!
to remove ads between posts
Sep 15, 2019, 12:26 PM
You not gonna believe this ... 2013 was a great year for a friend of mine who now emigrated in Canada (i think is Canada, i cannot be 100% sure). He gave me some of its video archive and there i found a flight done by him in September 2013 with its Talon Gt ...
Here is part of that flight where its plane reaches out 29,5 maybe 30km range mark and turns the plane back:
Talon GT 29,5 - 30km range (15 min 35 sec)

Was so relaxing to replay the DVR recording on my goggles while i was sitting down in the lawn-chair at the flying field!
Sep 21, 2019, 07:41 AM
Searching thru my friend's old video archive (that friend of mine that i've told you he emigrated in Canada in 2014), i stumble upon a video in which he was doing some sort of cloud chasing with its Talon Gt, back in September 2013 ....
Talon Gt 2013 ver, some cloud chasing (15 min 35 sec)

Video recording of the flight was a bit longer than that, and it looks like plane needed to fly straight for about 14km to gentle climb to clouds altitude and a bit above. Luckily looks like plane have enough battery to sustain that climb and still be able to fly above the clouds for another 30 minutes ...
Last edited by PaunFD; Sep 21, 2019 at 07:49 AM.
Sep 22, 2019, 01:09 AM
Sooo,

I finally could start on my GT.
Besides playing with the Flight controller and setting up,
Here are some "things" I've done so far.

I did not like the small resolution left after reducing the servo rates that much so I have replaced all the 12mm horns on aileron and V-tail to 16mm ones.

I noticed that the VTX I am going to use (Matek VTX-HV) will get quite hot on high power settings, so I hope this cooling solution will work. The theory is that the pressure difference above -and below- the wing will force the air through.
The VTX is mounted "floating" so the board has space around it on both sides.
The cooling inlet is on the bottom, before the VTX. And the exit on top, behind the VTX. IF there is any airflow at all, it can only go along the circuit board. High temperatures usually also have a negative effect on power output I found.
0.5 mm ABS sheet is used for the hatch cover.

Also I have looked at a neat solution to mount the Flight controller, as the GT is perfectly prepared for a standard 30.5 mm hole pattern FC, which does not work for the Matek F722 Wing. I didn't like the idea of double sided tape directly onto the plywood tray, as that means I have to screw the boards apart every time I remove the controller.
What I did was cut a 1mm Carbon plate and put it on anti-vibration rubber stand-offs (also Matek) which are screwed/glued into the plywood original tray. The FC is stuck to the Carbon with double sided tape. Only four short nylon screws to remove the FC !

Last edited by viper1; Sep 22, 2019 at 03:31 AM.
Sep 22, 2019, 12:00 PM
Good luck with your maiden!
Sep 23, 2019, 07:04 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by PaunFD
Good luck with your maiden!
Thank you.
That will be still a while though, it’s still a bit chilly spring here ‘down under ‘ plus I’m still figuring out some sensors. I also want to make a pitot tube. Just got my sensor in, slow boat from China .

To answer one of my own questions I asked earlier in this thread (for those who wonder about the same),
I tried a GPS receiver with compass, but the hatch magnets are too strong. Whenever I brought the gps even near the fuselage the compass went haywire. I’m now using a single GPS without magnetometer. I understand it’s not really needed anyway for fixed wings.
Sep 23, 2019, 07:36 AM
If you're not gonna use this plane for aerial work tasks where precision is needed, than you not gonna need a compass enabled.

On the other hand, you can remove the magnets and ... glue the hatch if compass is needed ... However power wires also will disturb the compass too, so you need to put at least 3cm between those wires and the compass.
Sep 23, 2019, 03:12 PM
For being only my 3rd flight, I think this plane is very promising in deed.

Aldalen 2.0 Talon GT Rebel edition (7 min 13 sec)
Sep 23, 2019, 03:57 PM
Nice landscape! Great flight!
Sep 23, 2019, 04:25 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by PaunFD
If you're not gonna use this plane for aerial work tasks where precision is needed, than you not gonna need a compass enabled.

On the other hand, you can remove the magnets and ... glue the hatch if compass is needed ... However power wires also will disturb the compass too, so you need to put at least 3cm between those wires and the compass.
True , It is helpful with copters to find direction when they are not moving, but with wings you usually move fwd anyway so at least you have the flight path direction from the gps. Without compass you might be looking (in the osd) in a different direction, due to strong crosswind for example. That’s all assuming you fly in a area that’s familiar to you, and I usually do.
Sep 27, 2019, 04:33 AM
Zapping around my friend's old video archive, i stumble upon an yet another interesting flight, done back in the days.

Here is his Talon Gt (an early pre-release version, as one could guess) flown in some heavy nasty wind:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-v0R...ature=youtu.be
Is not exactly "cloud chasing", as it is more like cloud avoiding, because those clouds where filled-up with water which if not avoided - might have created problems with electronics.

In the photo attached, was the wind-speed according to weather prognosis, in the location where he flew.
According to that, wind speed was at about 86kmh ...
Sep 29, 2019, 11:40 PM
flight with 45 kms of wind when going, trying options to take it to its limit

Travel between two towns (25 kms Max) 50 Kms complete (5 min 52 sec)
Sep 30, 2019, 01:30 AM
That's what i get out of my Talon Gt routinely too.

You did landed your plane with the wind blowing into the plane's tail ... You should not done that. You did had enough juice in the battery for turning the plane around and do a proper landing ...
Hope the plane got undamaged!

I did pushed it to 29,5 - 30km range in almost similar conditions ... Maybe the wind was a bit lower at 40 - 42kmh. However, i did land the plane on "fumes", meaning that the battery was almost flat - something that i will try as hard as i can to do not repeat ...

Congrats! Nice performance!
Oct 13, 2019, 10:19 PM
Making small steps here, too windy to fly anyway.
I made some pitot tubes for the airspeed sensor, surprising how light you can make them !

Am I correct that there is no voltage divider needed between the F722-wing FC and the MPXV7002DP ?
Some older info online suggests ( before the F722 existed) that a voltage divider should be installed in the output.

The Matek website (with their own board) instructs a direct connection http://www.mateksys.com/?portfolio=aspd-7002#tab-id-2

I'm using the CJMCU-36 breakout board.
Last edited by viper1; Oct 13, 2019 at 10:29 PM.
Oct 14, 2019, 06:30 AM
I dont know anything about F722, unfortunately.

Talon Gt and GitUp Git2 Hypersmooth (15 min 35 sec)

Quick Reply