Jun 15, 2019, 12:28 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by PaunFD
As usual, if have not posted anything, that does not mean that i have not flying.
Here is the part of another routine flight with Talon GT, but this time range was 23km. I did not uploaded to YT the entire 62 minutes of flight because i'm 100% sure that not many people have 62 minutes free to ... watch my boring, uneventful flight.
https://youtu.be/s_H9_mumizs
What battery are you using to achieve such range? I am planning to build a lion
to remove ads between posts
Jun 16, 2019, 04:12 AM
This in a 4S2P pack: https://eu.nkon.nl/rechargeable/1865...18650-mj1.html
Jun 17, 2019, 07:24 AM
I find this model very interesting, so I pulled the trigger and purchased one, got one question, are there any 3D files available for the tail fins? I think it would be better to replace them with some 3D printed ones.
Jun 17, 2019, 01:01 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by FPV_BOB
I find this model very interesting, so I pulled the trigger and purchased one, got one question, are there any 3D files available for the tail fins? I think it would be better to replace them with some 3D printed ones.
Not that i've know of so far. But i'm sure that someone will do those too.

However, i would highly suggest to tape them with clear tape, and use some clear tape to reinforce the .... play-wood thingy that tail-fins gets installed too. In this way, at lest i have done more than 50 landings so far without any other tail-fin braking, removing or ... anything else.
Clear tape seems to do wonders for those tail-fins and the wood thingy where they get installed.

And ... IMHO if one designs some 3D printed tail-fins ... they should be printed from something as light as possible so they don't add too much weight to the plane.
Jun 17, 2019, 08:18 PM
Quote:
Not that i've know of so far. But i'm sure that someone will do those too.

However, i would highly suggest to tape them with clear tape, and use some clear tape to reinforce the .... play-wood thingy that tail-fins gets installed too. In this way, at lest i have done more than 50 landings so far without any other tail-fin braking, removing or ... anything else.
Clear tape seems to do wonders for those tail-fins and the wood thingy where they get installed.

And ... IMHO if one designs some 3D printed tail-fins ... they should be printed from something as light as possible so they don't add too much weight to the plane.
Good advice I will try that when I get it, maybe just print something to protect the edge of the fins?
Jun 18, 2019, 01:35 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by FPV_BOB
Good advice I will try that when I get it, maybe just print something to protect the edge of the fins?
Way better idea, but I would protect just the bottom of the tail find.
Jun 19, 2019, 10:01 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by HighBKFly
What battery are you using to achieve such range? I am planning to build a lion
Cool great website! Did you have to change the LVC setting in the ESC? Also how about the gear that needs 12v like the video tx when voltage of the pack drops below 12v?
Jun 20, 2019, 08:23 AM
Quote:
Cool great website! Did you have to change the LVC setting in the ESC? Also how about the gear that needs 12v like the video tx when voltage of the pack drops below 12v?
It looks like the stock ESC do have LVC setting, but i think that i manage to lower the LVC to 3V/cell aka 12V/pack ... And as long as i do usually land when Foxeer Falko reads 12,8 - 12,9V ... i'm safe.

For 12V i dont use anything that is limited to just 12V ... FPV camera, and FPV Vtx are capable of using 5S or even 6S so ... i dont need 12V. But if would need 12V, i would use pins from the balance plug of the main battery.

My guess is that those devices do work even at 8V ...
Jun 23, 2019, 01:58 PM
Talon Gt 23,5 - 24Km range (15 min 35 sec)

So people dont believe that i have not flown lately ...
Jun 24, 2019, 06:03 AM
Quote:
https://youtu.be/yZQt6a0VWZI

So people dont believe that i have not flown lately ...
How are you getting such smooth footage? Mine has some jello, I guess due to vibration of the motor

By the way your4S2P lion pack can deliver only 20amps, isn’t that a bit short?

Thanks
Jun 24, 2019, 08:34 AM
I told few pages back that i have balanced dynamically motor + prop ensemble using zip-ties. Since i've build my very first APM based multirotor i become very perfectionist when comes about balancing motor + prop ensemble ...

My 4S2P pack can sustain 30Amp consumption ... according with some tests available on the web. Of course, in those tests - individual who did those tests did stopped the test after some time due to the fact that cell's temperature rises too high when cell's where discharged at 15Amps ...

Yet i don't use WOT (when 8x6 with stock motor and stock ESC draws about 35Amp - so it is still close to ... those tests) too much time.
I use Wot only on launching the plane, and maybe 5 seconds after plane left my hand. As soon as the plane enters into aerodynamically controlled flight - and is no longer flying like a thrown brick - i reduce throttle to 45, 47 or 50% and remain at that value for the rest of the flight - until the plane gets back from its trip ... and i cut the motor to glide the plane down ... for landing.

Hope than make sense!

I'm getting that smooth of a footage because i tweak PID's in such a way that the FC lets the plane to correct itself if thrown away by the small turbulence and when thrown away from its attitude by bigger more powerful turbulence FC correct plane's attitude slower ... bringing it to its desired flight attitude. Of course plane gets sluggish, but ... smoother.
Also i added to it that 1mm string/thread/Vg-like string which might have something to do with that too ...
Last edited by PaunFD; Jun 24, 2019 at 08:44 AM.
Jun 25, 2019, 05:01 AM
Quote:
I told few pages back that i have balanced dynamically motor + prop ensemble using zip-ties. Since i've build my very first APM based multirotor i become very perfectionist when comes about balancing motor + prop ensemble ...

My 4S2P pack can sustain 30Amp consumption ... according with some tests available on the web. Of course, in those tests - individual who did those tests did stopped the test after some time due to the fact that cell's temperature rises too high when cell's where discharged at 15Amps ...

Yet i don't use WOT (when 8x6 with stock motor and stock ESC draws about 35Amp - so it is still close to ... those tests) too much time.
I use Wot only on launching the plane, and maybe 5 seconds after plane left my hand. As soon as the plane enters into aerodynamically controlled flight - and is no longer flying like a thrown brick - i reduce throttle to 45, 47 or 50% and remain at that value for the rest of the flight - until the plane gets back from its trip ... and i cut the motor to glide the plane down ... for landing.

Hope than make sense!

I'm getting that smooth of a footage because i tweak PID's in such a way that the FC lets the plane to correct itself if thrown away by the small turbulence and when thrown away from its attitude by bigger more powerful turbulence FC correct plane's attitude slower ... bringing it to its desired flight attitude. Of course plane gets sluggish, but ... smoother.
Also i added to it that 1mm string/thread/Vg-like string which might have something to do with that too ...
Yeah I am afraid of running these, if you are going against some wind coming back home you may have to raise amps for cruise, I may get the 30A 3000mah 18650 ones rather thanks!
Jun 25, 2019, 08:37 AM
Quote:
Yeah I am afraid of running these, if you are going against some wind coming back home you may have to raise amps for cruise, I may get the 30A 3000mah 18650 ones rather thanks!
I don't think that would be the case ... At 30Amps Talon GT i guess is running with at least 140kmh ... so you do need quite of wind if there is to actually force you to push to WOT on the way back.

And in that scenario, there is no battery pack lipo or li-ion capable of ... trouble.
Lets imagine that you've flown your plane almost half of you battery while it was going far ... let's say 30km. Your plane reaches the range limit that you wanted to reach, turn the plane back and suddenly wind change its direction and speed blowing toward the plane's nose - pushing it back.
Even if you have a 100C rated lipo, you already depleted half of the battery on the way far ... so having a 100C rated lipo will not do any good - in order to save the situation and the day ....
All you can do in this kind of situation, is to rise the throttle to as much as it is needed for the plane to fly at a 10 - 20kmh ground speed ... flying against the win. But if for the plane to fly at 10 - 20kmh against the, 80% throttle is needed, your plane is done ... even if you have 100C rated lipo.

I hope you understand my explanation.
Jun 25, 2019, 08:50 AM
Quote:
However, there is a situation in which having a higher C-rated battery might save the day:
My plane was flying at about lets say 15km away from me, when the rain started in the place where i was - not the plane ...
In order to ... "save the day" and the plane, i turned it back, and i pushed the throttle to 60 - 65%. Because i usually fly on the way far, against the wind, at those times when rain started, wind was pushing the plane back to me ... so the wind-speed added to the 65% throttle speed make the plane to come back and land in about 8 minutes ... while on the way far it have been flown for 15 minutes (doing 1km/minute against the wind) ...

Don't get me wrong, your money do have serial numbers, and all those security features, so you should spend them as you wish regardless everyone's opinion.
My point is, that the 3500mAh MJ1 are just great for this plane, in long-range flights.
All i'm arguing here is the ... logic involved in your statement ... Because if the plane is at 10km range/away from you, and you have depleted 1/3 of the li-ion capacity, in order to force you to use the li-ion at WOT/30Amps out of a 4S pack, wind must blow at least with 100kmh ...
But if the wind is at 100kmh where you stand, i imagine that getting your plane back is the least of your concerns at that time ...

Aaaa, if you intend to fly this plane as a sporty one, having some flying WOT episodes ... than li-ions might not do too much good for your flight style ... but having a 60Amp capable li-ion made from 30Amps rated 18650cells might ... be a better addition ...

Hope that this also make sense.
Jun 25, 2019, 02:52 PM
Quote:
However, there is a situation in which having a higher C-rated battery might save the day:
My plane was flying at about lets say 15km away from me, when the rain started in the place where i was - not the plane ...
In order to ... "save the day" and the plane, i turned it back, and i pushed the throttle to 60 - 65%. Because i usually fly on the way far, against the wind, at those times when rain started, wind was pushing the plane back to me ... so the wind-speed added to the 65% throttle speed make the plane to come back and land in about 8 minutes ... while on the way far it have been flown for 15 minutes (doing 1km/minute against the wind) ...

Don't get me wrong, your money do have serial numbers, and all those security features, so you should spend them as you wish regardless everyone's opinion.
My point is, that the 3500mAh MJ1 are just great for this plane, in long-range flights.
All i'm arguing here is the ... logic involved in your statement ... Because if the plane is at 10km range/away from you, and you have depleted 1/3 of the li-ion capacity, in order to force you to use the li-ion at WOT/30Amps out of a 4S pack, wind must blow at least with 100kmh ...
But if the wind is at 100kmh where you stand, i imagine that getting your plane back is the least of your concerns at that time ...

Aaaa, if you intend to fly this plane as a sporty one, having some flying WOT episodes ... than li-ions might not do too much good for your flight style ... but having a 60Amp capable li-ion made from 30Amps rated 18650cells might ... be a better addition ...

Hope that this also make sense.
Thanks for this valuable insight! Maybe I should make a 4S2P with a 10A and another 30A cell :-)

Quick Reply