Jul 31, 2019, 08:28 PM
Modeler/ Historian
Thread OP
Talking timeís over, letís do this! HooYah!
Finally getting a good start . Pictured is the addition of hardwood stringers to which will be fixed the 1/4 inch birch ply knees. Iíve discarded the original Diana GRP deck molding in favor of an all wood , hand laid , planked deck. I do these on my sailing models ( itís my favorite thing).
to remove ads between posts
Jul 31, 2019, 08:34 PM
Modeler/ Historian
Thread OP
BTW, if anyone wants the original deck molding , it’s yours for shipping cost. It’s in pristine fresh from the mold shape.
Jul 31, 2019, 10:07 PM
Grumpa Tom
Some inspiration for you. This is Steve Ciambrone's build of the DIana. Saito engine.

Hansen Dam Irregulars 10-6-2016 (1 min 31 sec)

HDI Steve Diana (3 min 8 sec)

Diana Steam Launch - Upscaled Video (4 min 9 sec)
Aug 01, 2019, 11:18 AM
Modeler/ Historian
Thread OP
Great vids! Thanks.
Progress today on the framing. Iím using 1/4 and 1/16 inch birch ply and basswood stringers. I learned from building sailing vessels and very narrow Destroyers , to keep the topsides light. Lightening holes are utilized throughout on the lightweight but strong aircraft grade birch ply.
Aug 01, 2019, 04:22 PM
If you are still looking for a boiler I have a large Regner Horizontal boiler that would provide plenty of steam for that large boat. It is a beautiful brass boiler with a preheat backhead.
Aug 01, 2019, 06:17 PM
Modeler/ Historian
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by esaley4527
If you are still looking for a boiler I have a large Regner Horizontal boiler that would provide plenty of steam for that large boat. It is a beautiful brass boiler with a preheat backhead.
Interested for sure. Can you send me a PM with specifics ?
Aug 02, 2019, 01:56 PM
Modeler/ Historian
Thread OP
Main deck framing done. Iíll be giving it a good sand then treat with thinned epoxy. Rudder post and shaft housing then bilge framing come next.
Aug 03, 2019, 09:02 PM
Modeler/ Historian
Thread OP
Deck framing completed , Iíve stained all the bits that will be able to be seen and coated the entire structure with epoxy thinned 20%. Now Iím working on the inner planking. Iíve ordered a 2.75 inch brass screw from Harbor models and a shaft / stuffing tube Once the inner planking is done and the shaft and rudder are in place I will install the 1/32 inch birch ply sub deck for the main deck. Lower deck will wait for engine / boiler placement.
Aug 03, 2019, 09:11 PM
Modeler/ Historian
Thread OP
Hereís a couple more shots showing the birch ply knees stained dark oak. Also the start of the inner planking. The circle structure aft is framing for the rudder access. The finished hatch cover will have a wood inlay compass rose , with the tiller extending from the center.
Aug 07, 2019, 01:32 PM
Modeler/ Historian
Thread OP
Inner planking complete. Awaiting shaft housing and screw from Harbor models. Engine will be installed and bilge framed when the parts arrive.
Aug 07, 2019, 08:28 PM
Modeler/ Historian
Thread OP
I took the time to go ahead and stain this section as it is now easy to access To
Aug 09, 2019, 01:28 PM
Modeler/ Historian
Thread OP
Starting on the sub-deck. Four sections of 1/32 inch birch ply ; the foredeck (pictured) port/ starboard rails and fantail. Planking will go atop the sub-deck. This hull has so much room to work. I can confidently complete the deck and have plenty of space to install machinery and electronics.
Aug 09, 2019, 01:57 PM
Modeler/ Historian
Thread OP
I have used this decking method on a number of sail projects.
Aug 09, 2019, 06:10 PM
Grumpa Tom
I am taking notes. I have a Diana hull and have only done one deck job before on an open hull and it was not nearly as nice as what I see you doing.
Aug 09, 2019, 06:48 PM
Modeler/ Historian
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kmot
I am taking notes. I have a Diana hull and have only done one deck job before on an open hull and it was not nearly as nice as what I see you doing.
It’s really very simple. Plan out the sub-deck support , draw it up, cut it out in card stock and test fit. When you are satisfied with the mock up, trace from card stock to birch ply and cut ( I use a dremel scroll saw). I’m not following any particular prototype , just making it up like I would if I had a real one

Quick Reply