Shop our Airplanes Products Drone Products Sales
Mar 04, 2019, 01:37 AM
Thread OP
Discussion

Xtream

Found a fun little plane while at the science museum with my little boy. Decided to make it fly for real. I know the toy says it glides through water, but this one probably isn't quite there yet. I haven't built a plane in about a year so trying to get my plane fix while the baby sitter is around.

Decided to go with 30" wingspan with a couple cheap 2200 kv Ebay motors on it. Gonna start it out with bank and yank on 4 controls surfaces for this "tri-plane". I'll try and post maiden vids when the weather lets up here in Austin.

Edit:
Added very rough PDF plans if anyone wants to give it a go. No fancy tabs, just edge to edge glue job. And the back edge of the fuse covering got chopped off, but it doesn't really need that edge to be perfect. And... I eyeballed a slot groove to slide the vertical "spine" into the main wing plate, but this is not in the plans. Like I said... very rough. I can clean them up if there is more interest.
Last edited by elmagnificado; Mar 12, 2019 at 04:17 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Mar 04, 2019, 05:34 AM
Looks cool!
With those rear mounted motors: Just wondering if you'll be able to get CG forward enough without resorting to a lot of nose ballast - increasing the weight prohibitively...
Mar 04, 2019, 03:26 PM
skumgummi dave
Wowser! Good job. Looking forward to flight report... Can you tell us which cheap 2200 kv Ebay motors that you are using?

Thanks, Dave-
Mar 04, 2019, 05:32 PM
Looks great - love the blended wing designs!
Mar 06, 2019, 08:26 AM
I Look, Listen, and Learn
Looks like a winner, cant wait to hear how it does above water. I have seen many of those small package toys that I have considered making a flyable plane out of, alot of them just look so cool.
Mar 08, 2019, 01:50 PM
skumgummi dave
Bump.....
Mar 08, 2019, 03:46 PM
Hey elmagnificado, Dave is getting impatient.
Mar 10, 2019, 06:11 PM
Interesting design. Will the lower wing function as elevator and the top ailerons or are you going to setup a delta wing mix?
Mar 10, 2019, 08:25 PM
Thread OP

Maiden

Finally got some time for a maiden. Couple vids below.

I set it up as elevon delta wing mix with both the upper and lower wings doing the same business off 4 servos. I figure I could change the mix if needed, but I don't think I need to. It's a little on the heavy side with 2 motors, so I need to keep the speed up to keep things controllable, but sorry, Nute, no tail heavy issues. The CG is a couple inches in front of the motor mounts, so a 3cell 2200mah battery did the trick to balance her out with room to spare in the nose.

I made a couple tweaks before the maiden. The tail seemed a little long so I trimmed about 1.5" off the top and put some red tape on it for orientation. The props also had only a few mm clearance from the bottom wing so I trimmed back the front of the wing to prevent gouging it when they flex.

I bought a considerable stash of these motors for about $5 a piece so I use them on everything.
https://www.ebay.com/itm/New-A2212-9...item41d74ff870

MOVI0002 (5 min 27 sec)

MOVI0004 (7 min 7 sec)

The vids are a little washed out with from the sky. Still using a cheap camera. But trust me, she looks awesome in the air.
Last edited by elmagnificado; Mar 10, 2019 at 08:39 PM.
Mar 10, 2019, 08:57 PM
Cooool, glad to see fly.
Mar 10, 2019, 11:25 PM
skumgummi dave
elmagnificado:

Well done sir! Thanks for the vids.

Dave-
Last edited by foamdave; Mar 11, 2019 at 11:13 AM.
Mar 11, 2019, 12:17 AM
Nice!
Love the sound!
Mar 11, 2019, 03:51 PM
Congratulations
Mar 12, 2019, 05:38 PM
skumgummi dave
Thanks for the preliminary plans elmagnificado. Is there any special angling where the fore wing connects to the box wing?

Dave-
Mar 13, 2019, 03:23 PM
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by foamdave
Thanks for the preliminary plans elmagnificado. Is there any special angling where the fore wing connects to the box wing?

Dave-
I made all the wings parallel, and after skimming that research paper, it appears they tested it with the wings roughly parallel as well. On mine, I noticed the glide slope was not great and it nosed down pretty drastically without some up elevator but it it flew straight once I gave it power. I don't think a little up angle on the fore-wing could hurt.

There are a couple models in the paper that appear to have the forewing angled up, or at least closer to the top wing. The paper implied the aerofoil shape would have a greater impact on the fluid dynamics happening between the wings. I only had KF on the fore-wing and flat plates for the upper and lower wings.

Quick Reply