Shop our Airplanes Products Drone Products Sales
Mar 03, 2019, 09:20 PM
Thread OP
Discussion

3mm Depron HLG ( Budget DIY )

My latest DIY Budget project ..

Made from 3mm Depron sheet ..
1 meter HLG design , I call it the R3 ( Ripit 3 )

Costed = $32 ozzi Bananas RTF ( Batteries I have a plenty ) ( Materials - $13 , electronics $19 )
Flying weight = 110.4 grams
2ch - Rudder / Elevator design for the hell of it .
Well , to see what can be done with depron .

Just completed this morning , still waiting for the epoxy to dry some ..
to remove ads between posts
Mar 04, 2019, 08:36 AM
Looks nice @old4570. Exciting that there's been so much activity recently around 1m scratch-built DLGs - both foam wing and carved balsa wing. Haven't seen much though in the way of plans or details on the finer points of these designs and builds, and with DLGs it really is all in the details. If you had the time and inclination, would be super if you could share details if/when you get things tuned nicely - cheers!
Mar 04, 2019, 03:42 PM
skumgummi dave
Indeed, what ceyak said...
Mar 04, 2019, 04:25 PM
Wayne Wimbish
edit:

Why does it seem that there are so many calls for plans when there seems to be abundant info and photos that could be emulated?
Last edited by wdwimbish; Mar 04, 2019 at 11:38 PM. Reason: rephrased question
Mar 04, 2019, 09:31 PM
skumgummi dave
Yes it is that hard if one is not as experienced as you Pastor.
Mar 04, 2019, 09:41 PM
Thread OP
Is it hard to scratch build .. ?

No not really , the R3 was a dimensional Rip of 3 of my 1 meter DLG's
Elf , Raven 990 , Tech One 1000 ...

The wing was a Rip off the Raven ( Dimensional'y )
Tail surfaces a Rip off the Tech One 1000
And the Boom length a Rip off the Elf ..

Update :

My CG was too far back .
And when I went out for some trimming , the wind came up ( Started howling ) just as a did a soft launch .. Well the R3 went up , so I pushed the elevator down and just as I did the wind picked up even more speed and slammed the R3 into the ground breaking the pod just where the carbon boom ended .

Ok , so some repairs ! add strength and weight to the pod .. Fixed , cg is moved some 10mm forward ..

Back to some trimming ..
It glides awesome ! Not there with the Elf , but for a junk build , really nice ...
CG is still too far back ...
Broke the R3 again , this time the vertical fin .. ( glue let go on too fast a landing ) .
So fixed the vertical fin + added some fiberglass re-enforcement ..
For the CG , I chose a larger 1s battery .. Moved another 5mm forward .. ( CG )

With repairs , re-enforcement , larger battery :
Weight is now 120 grams even for Flying Weight .

I will do a diagram for the R3 since there is interest , how you build it will be up to you ..
Mar 04, 2019, 10:09 PM
Thread OP

The wing

The wing ...

I cant fold Depron to save my life .
So I gave up trying . Rather I went with a sheet ( wing shape cut out ) that was butted to a balsa leading edge .
Then I glued a balsa spar in ..

Then I took a top sheet of Depron and glued it to the balsa leading edge ..
With everything dry , I then added glue for the spar and Trailing edge of the wing ..

I laid the wing on the floor , and pilled books onto the trailing and leading edges of the wing to keep it flat and stop it from warping .. ( Seemed to work )

Once dry , the wing was sanded .

And once I was happy with that I used 10thou laminating film for covering ...

Overall weight of the wing was 52 grams ...

The boom is 6mm Carbon Tube from Hobbyking ...
Tail surfaces are 3mm Depron + Laminating film .
Pod is 3mm depron laminated and sanded / cut to shape ..
Canopy is 3mm depron laminated and shaped ..
Servos are 5g
Rx is FS2A 4ch from banggood .. ( I like these , they run 1s just fine )

I will take a few photos , and add dimensions ...
Mar 04, 2019, 11:17 PM
Thread OP
Those dimensions :

Probably the hardest part was the wing .. Everything else is easy ..
Just glue depron together , then cut away and sand anything that does not look like a HLG .. ( Regular Cyno seems to work fine )

This build took about $2 worth of depron !
So if you stuff it up , chalk it down to learning ! ( Cheap education )

The carbon boom was $3.50

Another $2 of balsa ?
Control horns ?
0.6mm Music Wire
And some 10 thou laminating film ..

Will I build another ?
Maybe , but rather than a sheet depron wing , I might go with a built up wing of some description !

I would love to get under the Elf for flying weight ( 93 grams for mine ) ..
To achieve that , the boom would need to be lighter .. Rather than 6mm , maybe a 5mm boom ...

CG = 50mm from the LE , At The Moment with the larger battery !
Last edited by old4570; Mar 04, 2019 at 11:47 PM.
Mar 04, 2019, 11:33 PM
Wayne Wimbish
Quote:
Originally Posted by foamdave
Yes it is that hard if one is not as experienced as you Pastor.
Everything I have learned about dlgs, I have learned by reading every word I could find posted in this forum over the last 10 years, and copying anything that looked like a good idea. It is possible that I spend a lot more time reading here than most would care to admit.

Sorry if I came across sarcastic , I just see so many photos that show the basics of how these planes are being made, that to me copying one one of them just seems like a very simple idea. Did not mean to sound so harsh.

Apologies,
Wayne
Last edited by wdwimbish; Mar 04, 2019 at 11:41 PM.
Mar 05, 2019, 12:10 AM
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by wdwimbish
Everything I have learned about dlgs, I have learned by reading every word I could find posted in this forum over the last 10 years, and copying anything that looked like a good idea. It is possible that I spend a lot more time reading here than most would care to admit.

Sorry if I came across sarcastic , I just see so many photos that show the basics of how these planes are being made, that to me copying one one of them just seems like a very simple idea. Did not mean to sound so harsh.

Apologies,
Wayne
No offence taken ..

I personally loath to tell anyone how to do something , simply because there are so many ways of doing things .
I have never vac bagged , or molded anything ( I tried and failed to mold props - actually failed at making the mold )
These days , I find that thinking is more important than doing ...
Think it over a few days , build it in your mind . And when you are happy with the virtual result , then do it for real .

Right now , I am mulling over how to do a built up depron wing ..
Depron and carbon , then covered in laminating film and @ 30 to 40 gram wing ( ? )
A pod and boom with a 5mm Carbon tube ?
Goal = A 80 to 90 gram 1 meter HLG
Build it virtually !

The R3 is technically Bush League to build ..
The hardest part is just gluing the top sheet of the wing to the bottom sheet and avoiding warps N stuff ..
The wing could be done from 6mm or 10mm depron , and just sanded to shape .
Or one one might use a foam cutter , for a really trick foam core ..
Add carbon spars , then cover it with ?
This is my 3rd scratch build .. R1 / R2 / now the R3 ..

Last night I already started my V911 HLG project !
I was so bored and my mind was racing , and I was trying to figure out how to incorporate the V911 board to a Ebay glider wing ( 480mm ) and stuff ...
Mar 05, 2019, 12:52 PM
Quote:
Why does it seem that there are so many calls for plans when there seems to be abundant info and photos that could be emulated?
@wdwimbish - not so much the need for formal plans, when I said "plans or details" it was more about clear descriptions/illustrations of the details. Whether "abundant info and photos" rises to that level really depends on the specific thread and the author - some are excellent, some less so.

Quote:
I just see so many photos that show the basics of how these planes are being made, that to me copying one one of them just seems like a very simple idea.
Sure, "the basics" are simple and may be apparent from limited info and photos, and that might be fine if you only care to approximate the author's build but figure out the rest on your own. But gaining detailed insight from the author is what I was asking for - e.g. most people here would be capable of printing the outlines of wings, tails, fuselage, etc. from most any DLG plan or illustration and go from there, but that's different than explicit descriptions of the finer steps of a scratch build that worked or didn't work vs. inventing your own wheel. And I'd say that's particularly helpful when you are building with less refined materials like foam and balsa (vs. carbon & glass) where often clever design/construction details make the result extraordinary.
Last edited by ceyak; Mar 06, 2019 at 07:25 AM.
Mar 06, 2019, 07:38 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by old4570
The wing ... I cant fold Depron to save my life . So I gave up trying . Rather I went with a sheet ( wing shape cut out ) that was butted to a balsa leading edge . Then I glued a balsa spar in .. Then I took a top sheet of Depron and glued it to the balsa leading edge .. With everything dry , I then added glue for the spar and Trailing edge of the wing .. I laid the wing on the floor , and pilled books onto the trailing and leading edges of the wing to keep it flat and stop it from warping .. Once dry , the wing was sanded .
That's a really excellent, detailed description @old4570, thanks so much. I really like your innovation there of using a balsa leading edge as the main member to construct the wing off of. Fwiw - folding depron (or $ tree foam here in the states) can be improved by running a length of packing tape along what will become the exterior leading edge. Then before folding you can crease a line along the interior of the leading edge... with a little practice the end result can be a very nice, sharp, stiff(ened) leading edge.
Mar 06, 2019, 07:44 AM
Quote:
.. and sand anything that does not look like a HLG ..
LOLOL

Quote:
Will I build another ? Maybe , but rather than a sheet depron wing , I might go with a built up wing of some description !
NOOOOOOOOO... don't quit on the depron, it's what makes this build special! And your construction innovation is a terrific first step... pleeeeease keep at it, for the rest of us!

Just kidding of course (but not really ). Cheers.
Mar 06, 2019, 08:13 AM
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by ceyak
LOLOL

NOOOOOOOOO... don't quit on the depron, it's what makes this build special! And your construction innovation is a terrific first step... pleeeeease keep at it, for the rest of us!

Just kidding of course (but not really ). Cheers.

Built up Depron wing ...
My virtual reality is trying to devise a built up depron wing ..
The sheet wing is easy .. If my description of its making sounded deceptively simple , it's because it is simple ..

But at 52 grams , I don't think I can go lighter without seriously sacrificing strength .

A built up depron wing with some carbon ! If done correctly .. Could give me light weight / strength / rigidity ...
Only problem is Hobbyking , they are out of stock of the carbon I would need .

So R4 is on the back burner till I can gather the materials I need .
+ Plenty of other projects , like the Sub Micro V911 HLG and a 1 meter DLG Flying Wing ...
So when those two are done ? ( Ok there is a micro Cub as well - another V911 board will go in that )

Then I have some V949 boards that support 3 servos ( 3Ch 700mm DLG ? - Ail - Ele - Rud = Probably from Depron - If I can find some 6mm )

Lots of projects ...
Mar 06, 2019, 08:26 AM
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by ceyak
That's a really excellent, detailed description @old4570, thanks so much. I really like your innovation there of using a balsa leading edge as the main member to construct the wing off of. Fwiw - folding depron (or $ tree foam here in the states) can be improved by running a length of packing tape along what will become the exterior leading edge. Then before folding you can crease a line along the interior of the leading edge... with a little practice the end result can be a very nice, sharp, stiff(ened) leading edge.
Yeah , thats what I tried , and it still warped and twisted ..

Gave 3 wings a try = Fail !
+ lots of test pieces ...

I would need some sort of jig / clamp set up to stop the 3mm depron from bending in the wrong places ..
So when I fail , I figure I'm just doing it the wrong way and move on and try something else ..

Like I said , can't fold depron to save my life !
Watched lots of tutorials , seen it done . But it does not work for me ..
Even did wing tape on the fold line + 10 thou laminating film over the sheet to stop the wing tape from tearing off during the fold ..
And it just warps somewhere along the LE ...

Hence moving to a balsa LE and building off that ( Path of least resistance )

But when I think about it ! You may not even need a LE ...
Hmmmmm , There goes that Virtual environment again !
Another build technique for a wing is forming .... in my VR design room !

Quick Reply