GWS free flight P51 RC conversion - RC Groups
Shop our Airplanes Products Drone Products Sales
Mar 12, 2002, 03:05 AM

GWS free flight P51 RC conversion

Hi , the GWS free flight P 51 is available to me at a reasonable price.I'm very interested in converting it to electric RC and am wondering if anyone here has had success doing so and would thus have any suggestions for a powerplant.
to remove ads between posts
Mar 12, 2002, 11:50 AM
Derrick

Never seen it. You have a pic or a link?
How large is the wing, weight etc?
Mar 12, 2002, 02:16 PM

P51

It's basically the same as the Cox Viper (20.5 inch wing). Conversions been done with GWS direct drive. Hobbico's got one too that's a bit smaller (18.5 inch wing) that looks like the GWS model (a real P51) no LG though. I'm converting it now, should be fast and fun.

Mike
Mar 13, 2002, 02:04 AM
Thanks for the replies ,

Poobs it's on the GWS website gws.com.tw

Mike : the GWS mustang apparently has a wingspan of 24.5 inches , should be quite a bit bigger than the cox one ?

I'm wondering if a GWS geared system would do the job as the local GWS dealer doesnt seem to bring in direct drive systems.i was thinking of an A drive spinning a 10X8 cut down to something like 6X8 maybe.....
Mar 13, 2002, 07:42 AM
Houng-wen Lin
GWS free flight P-51D is one of Japanese UNION Model's products.
Since they are one of GWS distributor in Japan, GWS import this from Japan to support their business.

This little P-51 can be convert to RC very easily with GWS RX and Pico servos, and ICS50 ESC. However, the gear drive performance not very nice. Only 70~80g thrust at 7.2V.

If replace with GWS IPS would be more powerful and keep weight reduced too. Many Taiwanese flyers did and enjoy very much.
Mar 13, 2002, 08:07 AM
GWS4CEO (or anyone else)

Can this model be found in the US?

Thanks,

Diego
Mar 13, 2002, 08:30 AM
Houng-wen Lin
It's late evenning in Taiwan now. will check with GWS sales ladies who had ordered.

This is open, not exclusived by Horizon. They don't have for sure.
Mar 13, 2002, 08:57 AM

P51

Yep, you're right. Checked the GWS site again, the P51's got a 24.5 inch wing (I was looking at the length). With 111 inches of wing area it should handle up to a speed 280 direct. Balsa Products (www.balsapr.com) handles most of the GWS stuff. The 3.5/1 or 4/1 IPS might work ok BP also has the 280 drives and the appropriate props (no need to cut one down). BP's mail order service is pretty quick too.

Mike
Last edited by Mikerjf; Mar 13, 2002 at 09:16 AM.
Mar 13, 2002, 09:47 AM
Thanks for the replie again :

GWS CEO : what diameter and pitch do you recomend i have on my prop for the Union model conversion ? and also , how do you install pico retractables in an EZ zero ? i have the two but have no instructions.

Mike : Thanks for the info but i dont stay in the states and all....could you tell me more about your own current project ?
Mar 13, 2002, 10:30 AM

Which one?

Mine's the Hobbico rubber powered P51 (18.5 inch wingspan, ~60 sq.in.,$8). I'm using GWS direct drive with a 3x2 and 6 to 8 2/3AAA nimh and setting it up 3 channel (aileron, elevator, throttle). Took out all the dihedral and sheeted the bottom of the wing with 1 mm depron to stiffen it up. It should finish up under 4 oz. and based on past experience it should be fast and maneuverable. Got bitten by this bug with a Funcraft Acro-Bipe (15 inch span) conversion. I got such a kick out of it I wanted to try some others. I'm leaning toward the smaller stuff (20 inch and under), it's more of a challenge. I attempted the Funcraft Spitfire (14 inch span) but haven't found a suitable drive/battery combination. After the P51's done I've got the Hobbico P40, Spitfire and ME109 waiting to be converted (all 20 inch electric free flights, $15)

Mike
Mar 13, 2002, 11:00 AM
Houng-wen Lin
GWS would recomanced IPS-S1 with EP7060 prop.