Mar 03, 2019, 04:51 PM
Thread OP
Discussion

RedCat Racing Gen8-PACK (builders kit)

Surprised this hasn't been posted yet! http://www.redcatracing.com/GEN8-PACK#

For $170 (less if bought on eBay with a coupon ) you'd get a great looking (preassembled!) crawler kit. Add motor, esc, wheels, body, etc and you'd be set. Many of us have that stuff laying around anyway.

I'm sure this truck was released for competition for the SCXii builders kit...with the portal axles, mod1 gear system, slipper clutch, and 32p spur gear this should be a nearly bulletproof crawler.

Is anyone planning to get one?? I'd love to buy one day.
to remove ads between posts
Mar 03, 2019, 04:59 PM
Didnít know Redcat was doing portals lately. With one of Axialís big wigs going to Redcat after that buyout things may be coming around for them.
Mar 03, 2019, 06:04 PM
Thread OP
Yep! I believe this is the first Redcat with portals.

I know the Gen7 was a huge success, so I think they wanted to keep the crawling stuff alive and make something even better.

I'd like to see this truck against a TRX4, since they both have portal axles. I wish the Redcat had a h/low gear changer on the fly...that would be cool.
Mar 05, 2019, 08:41 PM
This is going on my short list, looks like a great value.

Thanks for the heads up!!
Mar 05, 2019, 09:57 PM
Thread OP
Yep, same here!

When I saw it advertised I assumed it was going to be well over $200, not $170! Really nice kit for the money it seems.
Mar 06, 2019, 11:34 PM
Motor, esc, and bodies I’ve got. Been looking for some new shoes since i donated a set to another project, and I’ve been debating getting into a 6 channel radio.... finding a 2 speed tranny isn’t too hard either..

If I search hard enough, I can pick those up fairly cheap. Good budget build project that I might be able to put together for around $350 all in. Might just need to put my beach wagon project on hold til late spring instead...

And convince the wife not to kill me
Mar 07, 2019, 07:42 AM
I have the Gen8 RTR...it is really nice! Turns tighter than the Gen7 too.

also has a setup for 16 LED's....I used all 16 slots. Each headlight takes 2 LED's and taillight takes 3...including a backup light! The rest are in the bumpers.

Here it is eating up my crawling log pile and gutter spouts.
Quick videos....

Gen8 logpile 2 (0 min 20 sec)

Gen8 Scout tackles wood pile (0 min 18 sec)

Redcat Racing Gen8 Scout Tackles Gutter Spouts (0 min 20 sec)
Mar 07, 2019, 09:43 AM
- Passing Through -
I’ve been selling a ton of these builders kits already, and I think they will continue to sell better than the RTR version. That’s my own personal experience so far.
Mar 07, 2019, 01:12 PM
I think the biggest attraction of the kit is getting the body the color you want and having the option for CLEAR windows.

Come to think of it...I have spare ESC/motors/tx. All I'd have to actually buy is a rx.

..and about $30 in polycarbonate paint.

Kits are definitely getting popular...especially if Traxxas is offering more of them. They just released a Stampede 4x4 kit as well as TRX-4 kits.
Mar 07, 2019, 01:39 PM
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by SlydWyz
Motor, esc, and bodies I’ve got. Been looking for some new shoes since i donated a set to another project, and I’ve been debating getting into a 6 channel radio.... finding a 2 speed tranny isn’t too hard either..

If I search hard enough, I can pick those up fairly cheap. Good budget build project that I might be able to put together for around $350 all in. Might just need to put my beach wagon project on hold til late spring instead...

And convince the wife not to kill me
$350?? That's a lot. I was pricing it out yesterday and I was under $250 all in. I wasn't counting a different transmission though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Time Machine
I think they will continue to sell better than the RTR version
Agreed, it's a great value. A lot of crawler enthusiasts have parts laying around already.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hugo Flynow
I think the biggest attraction of the kit is getting the body the color you want and having the option for CLEAR windows.

Come to think of it...I have spare ESC/motors/tx. All I'd have to actually buy is a rx.

..and about $30 in polycarbonate paint.

Kits are definitely getting popular...especially if Traxxas is offering more of them. They just released a Stampede 4x4 kit as well as TRX-4 kits.
Yeah I like getting to choose my own body as well. eBay has some cheap ones for sale lol.

Also, I enjoyed those videos! It made quick work of the wood pile.

WHAT? You can buy a Stampede kit?! I am going to have to look into that now
Last edited by Panhead5496; Mar 08, 2019 at 12:38 AM. Reason: Though not tough
Mar 07, 2019, 02:26 PM
Thanks!

Also...I never had good luck buying aftermarket bodies....at least for road cars where the wheel wells need to line up perfectly. Hell, even when I switched my Traxxas 4tec body from the GT toTraxxas Mustang, I had to do cutting and shimming.

Crawlers and bashers have more wiggle room I guess.

Yup! Stampede Kit!
https://www.bigsquidrc.com/new-traxx...t-coming-soon/

Anyway...at least it's nice to talk trucks here...I bailed on the Traxxas forum...it was Fanboy hell with bully moderators. You can get points for just mentioning another brand!!!

At least here....we are free to talk different brands and positive and negative experiences!
Mar 07, 2019, 10:22 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Panhead5496
$350?? That's a lot. I was pricing it out yesterday and I was under $250 all in. I wasn't counting a different transmission tough.

Yeah, trans and a new TX and a few new RXs to convert a few other RCs over.

Like I said, too many projects
Mar 08, 2019, 12:44 AM
Thread OP
@Hugo, very cool about the kit. I might have to get one of those. Always wanted a stampede 4x4. I have a 2wd Pede and a slash 4x4 with monster truck tires, but the 4x4 stampede just looks cool.

@SlydWyz, I gotcha. I have too mini projects as well. My basement has RCs in various stages all over the place...some completely running, some needing a few parts, and some that need a lot of parts lol! And I have a small ATV I’m building for a family member (real, not RC) that is halfway disassembled with parts everywhere.

Last thing I need is a crawler kit...but I really want one

Also meant to comment about the bodies on the trucks. I’m not super picky and as long as it lines up somewhat on my trucks I’m fine lol. They are going to be so bashed and dirty no one is going to be looking at a slightly off centered body haha!
Mar 08, 2019, 07:18 AM
Is there anything more tense than reaming post holes in a prepainted body? I put a prepainted bug body on my Redcat Volcano I upgraded to BL and did a lot of tape tabs and measuring!

I put the numbers and sponsors on to make it a racer....

Upgraded the ESC and motor to a Hobbystar combo I got from eBay for $49. ESC pooped out on first 2s run. Seller Queens Hobbies warranties thier stuff 4 months so they just sent me a new HobbyWING ESC...which is a Redcat OEM.

I love it!
Last edited by Hugo Flynow; May 07, 2019 at 07:07 AM.
Mar 08, 2019, 02:50 PM
Thread OP
That’s the truth! It’s always so hard to get the body posts lined up. I like that truck! Cool body.

I was looking at crawler parts last night for the Gen-8 PACK...if you don’t mind waiting on stuff from China you can get it set up pretty cheaply. When I get back to my computer I will post some links of the stuff I was looking at.

Quick Reply