Mar 02, 2019, 07:30 PM
Thread OP
Discussion

Conscendo Advanced 1.5m BNF Basic with flaps and spoiler

I just bought myself the Conscendo Advanced 1.5m BNF Basic.
The thing I dont understand is if you are going to install a 6 channels Rx, why stop at the basis 4 channels?

The glider is fitted with the AS3X AR636A which dont look to be an open stock so may not be able to modify the programming of the Rx. Not wanting to risk messing up the Rx, I decided to try a different approach.

First goal was to make a simple mod.
I have seen the ones with cut flap and aileron but to meet goal 1, that dont seems to be the way.
So goal 2 was to avoid wing modification.

Since on this model's Rx both channel 5 and 6 are free, I thought about going through external (to the Rx) electronics.
Going through all the gizmo I accumulated over the years, I found this V-tail mixer I bought at HK.

The modification is quite simple, is only a few more $ and I have done the complete setup in an afternoon.
Here goes:
Remove the Y harness and plug one of the 2 leads from the mixer in its place. You may have to try both to find the correct one to go in the aileron since they are not labeled. The other one goes in the the flap channel (5 or 6). The 2 ailerons servo goes into the mixer outputs. Dont think it mater which servo goes in which output. Maybe I got lucky, it worked the first time around.

The rest of the install is just programming your radio to have it behave the way you want, swith or lever and such.

Since I used an old Futaba T8UAF, I had to use 2 mixes from channel 7 and 8 plus to channel 6 and one 3 positions swith to allow me to have spoiler on switch up, nothing in center and flap on switch down. The potentiometer for channels 7 & 8 allow me to control the amount of flap/spoiler. Also, on switch center position, I can still use the channel 6 potentiometer to give flap & spoiler.

It is a somewhat weird setup but it works. Woukd have been much simpler on my DX18 but this aircraft will travel this summer for vacation and I dont want to damage the expensive stuff.

Still have some more tuning to do to avoid binding at the extreme but otherwise it works even with SAFE sitched on.

So far I have not flown it. Still much below 0C around here so a good 2 months to go before I can do the maiden.

Conscendo Advanced 1.5m BNF Basic with flaps and spoilers (0 min 48 sec)
to remove ads between posts
Mar 11, 2019, 03:03 PM
If doing this with a Spektrum transmitter, could you not remove the Y harness, plug each airelon servo into R - Ail and L - Ch5 or 6? Then choose aircraft type, Glider, and choose Wing Type: Flaperon / Spoileron. Done?
New to this and I have DX8G2 and yet to be maidened Conscendo Advanced. I sure would appreciate any guidance you could offer. Thanks!
Mar 11, 2019, 08:59 PM
Thread OP
If it was a regular receiver you could do that.
Since it is an AS3X, this would not work as this kind of programing has to be done in the receiver for the stabilization to work.

Really the best way would be to do it inside the AS3X but I am not sure the included AR636A can be reprogrammed.
I honestly have not tried to connect it to the application out of fear of screwing up the Rx.
Maybe we can ask Horizon to see if we can safely alter the programming of the Rx without losing the SAFE functions and the other preset for this aircraft.

Anyway, I already had the mixer so why not

Hope that helps.
Mar 16, 2019, 01:57 PM
I have bought 2 new pull-off AR636A Conscendo receivers and used them on 2 very different planes after programming with the PC programmer. I had issues with the iOS programmer, but none with the pc. I have one programmed with safe select on a HK J3 Cub, and one on a Multiplex Stuntmaster. Superb performance on both. Just study flightengr’s mini how-to and use his safe model builder...https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/show...elect-Receiver
Mar 17, 2019, 09:13 PM
Thread OP
Thanks for the link, that is good info to be aware of if I crash to Conscendo and want to use the Rx elsewhere.
In the meantime, my setup is all done so it would take more time to redo than what it is worth, unless I find a bug in my test flight.
Soon I hope, the temperature is rising.
Mar 21, 2019, 11:40 AM
That's super simple. Does safe still work with this set up?
Mar 22, 2019, 06:56 PM
Thread OP
SAFE should work as it is being included in the control stream before the mixer but I woukd expect loss of authority at the extreme throw of either spoiler or flap.
Just because one of the control surface is not able to move much in the direction it is deflected.
However, full deflection is just expected during landing so it may not be an issue.
Mar 24, 2019, 10:00 AM
Great, mine came in yesterday. Hopefully will get it set up Wednesday.
Mar 25, 2019, 08:33 PM
Thread OP
So Mektah, are you going to add flaps and spoiler?
Apr 11, 2019, 07:13 PM
Flying mental silence

2 Aileron Setup for Conscendo Adv

After a day's worth of trying different things, I finally succeeded with a 2 aileron setup. For some unknown reason, left aileron on port 6 of the Rx would not cooperate. Only when I put left aileron on port 5 (gear) would it perform as expected.

Y harness removed, ailerons plugged into separate ports.
With aircraft type: Sailplane /2 aileron setup in the DX8 we see Camber Presets and Camber System items in the Function List.
Strangely, when left aileron was in port 6, adjusting the Camber Preset Left for a given flight mode, the surface would not respond. Adjusting Camber Preset Right the two ailerons were coupled opposite. Could not get them both to deflect down for a Thermal flight mode.

Used the PC programming cable addressing the Rx. Tried different things. No go.
Finally I tried port 5 for left aileron and it worked.
Probably something I missed. But have spent enough time on it!
Apr 12, 2019, 07:59 PM
Thread OP
Not sure I understand why you had to program your DX8 for sailplane/2ailerons.
My understsnding of the AS3X is that kind of setup is to be done inside the Rx.
Aug 06, 2019, 02:53 PM
Just got my Conscendo advanced and want to set this up. I have a very small landing area!
Ordered myself a v-tail mixer.
I have a DX8e and want to know what I have to do to set up on my TX. Do I have to set model wing type to flaperon? What exactly would I have to do programming wise in my DX8e. I don't want to mess with reprogramming the ar636 if I don't have to. I want safe to work on both ailerons and be able to experiment with flaperons and spoilerons.

Many thanks.
Last edited by TimColl; Aug 06, 2019 at 03:43 PM.
Aug 10, 2019, 09:25 AM
Thread OP
You should not have to do anything in the AR636 with that septup.
My setup was on an old Futaba so it was a bit complicated.
In the DX8 I am not sure if the flap system will be able to do both flap and spoiler.
Maybe the simplest is to use channel 6 on a 3 positions switch to have up-neutral-down movement. You will need to mix in some elevator to cater for pitching moment.
The small electronic mixer will take its input from aileron channel and channel 6 on the Rx. You need to remove the Y harness to do that and plug direct in the Rx.

However I must say that so far I use more the spoiler to reduce landing length.
Aug 10, 2019, 09:30 AM
Thread OP
Forgot to mention that there is no mixing in the Tx between aileron and flap. They stay separate functions until they enter the electronic mixer.
Aug 10, 2019, 01:55 PM
Thread OP
I checked my DX18 which should have same programming as your DX8e.
I would do the following:
Select aircraft type 1 aileron & 1 flap.
Go in flap system and select a 3 positions switch.
Position 0 put negative flap value for spoiler and add 10% elevator to start with.
Position 1 leave all to 0.
Position 2 put positive flap value and -10% elevator to start with.
Start with about +/-30% for flap/spoiler.
If the flap goes up then either reverse all signs or reverse the channel.
Adjust elevator compensation so that aircraft stays Level when activating the flap switch.
The elevator should move opposite of the flap/spoiler direction.
Last edited by DavidBrou; Aug 10, 2019 at 02:06 PM.

Quick Reply