Jan 20, 2005, 07:11 PM
Fanfold abuser
Thread OP

New designs and old favorites

Hi all,

I have been tied up with work for a few months and posted very little. I am still making new planes and revisiting old favorites. Here are the latest. Ask about any you want more info on. The first is a flying boat. It weighs three oz. and flies on a B2c. I hope to use this in the snow as well as indoors.

Next there is a little cabin plane to no particular design. It weighs 2.2 oz. and operates on a B2C.

The Tadpole is a profile version using a geared 4.5 ohlm 6 mm motor. It comes in at a bit less than 12 g.

The last is a full size Bump using a SuperSlicks orange motor DD. It comes in at about 16 g.

If any of these are of interest, I would be glad to give particulars. All fly well but have not been flown extensively (one fly-in or backyard). The bipe can do a carrier ROPT (rise off picnic table) on the snow.
to remove ads between posts
Jan 20, 2005, 07:28 PM
You will be assimilated!
Seems like the pusher one could use some reinforcement! Hehe... How does it fly?
What radio systems are you using? Those planes look awesome!
Jan 20, 2005, 07:29 PM
I know about the work thing

Dude, your BUMP has its wings on backwards (Or is it a canard BUMP?)

Michael
Jan 20, 2005, 09:30 PM
Good glue is evil
hey i like the cabin plane
brucej
Jan 20, 2005, 10:45 PM
Frequent Poster
It's a reverse canard, right?
Jan 20, 2005, 11:11 PM
Fanfold abuser
Thread OP

Replies

Michael,

Sorry, I only looked at the plans briefly. Building to plans is not something I do much. Flies fine. That one has a JMP and two homemade remote actuators. It uses a 170 mah battery.

meowmix,

The pusher is fairly robust. I considered rigging, but it is not needed. I did another variation that I haven't flown yet that does have rigging. I did it on the newer one because it has higher aspect wings with narrower struts.

The first two use R4P's, Blue Arrow 4.3 servos, and 2S 145 mah and 250 mah batteries.

John
Last edited by Jgardner; Jan 20, 2005 at 11:13 PM.
Jan 20, 2005, 11:16 PM
Fanfold abuser
Thread OP

Reinforcement

Ah, now I see. The tail on the Tadpole is bent by the stress of sitting upright. It straightens out when not resting on its tail. It uses wallfoam for the tail, which is quite bendable, but can be pushed back into alignment easily. The tail boom twists a bit too, but it pops back to square without any manipulation.

I responded thinking of the bipe. Doh!

If it were stiff enough to hold its shape it would be heavier than necessary.

John
Last edited by Jgardner; Jan 20, 2005 at 11:18 PM.
Jan 22, 2005, 01:31 AM
Captain Wrongway
Love the Flying boat. Can I talk you out of some measurements?
Jan 22, 2005, 06:59 PM
Fanfold abuser
Thread OP

Thanks

The boat-bipe has:

23" span
5" chord
Pico innards and a b2c motor

The one with the 180 DD motor and 3X2 prop worked well too. I think I want to do one more and use the best of both versions. I think the best choice would be to go with the 180 DD moror, the 23X4 wing dimensions, and a bit longer nose. Outboard floats are also in the works. The wire-braced wings with a thinner strut looked better.

If it comes out right I will start a thread on the new one.
Jan 25, 2005, 02:01 AM
Captain Wrongway
Thanks. I'll keep an eye out for that new thread.

Quick Reply