May 15, 2019, 06:12 PM
You need to regulate your pressure with a regulator and gage. I added an oil and moisture seperator to my set up. The spray guns I use are designed to spray at less than 40lbs max. I have used mostly butyrate dope and latex house paint on various models with the same guns. At first alot of what you do will be trial and error. I like to thin my paint and use multiple coats as opposed to one heavy spray out. The model of the Chipmunk in the above post was painted with a small badger air gun I bought at Hobby lobby. ….Gene
to remove ads between posts
May 15, 2019, 06:22 PM
Gravity happens!
Quote:
Originally Posted by gene6029
You need to regulate your pressure with a regulator and gage. I added an oil and moisture seperator to my set up. The spray guns I use are designed to spray at less than 40lbs max. I have used mostly butyrate dope and latex house paint on various models with the same guns. At first alot of what you do will be trial and error. I like to thin my paint and use multiple coats as opposed to one heavy spray out. The model of the Chipmunk in the above post was painted with a small badger air gun I bought at Hobby lobby. .Gene
Do you use a siphon feed or gravity feed gun? How many ounces of paint does it usually take per coat?
May 15, 2019, 06:32 PM
Gravity happens!
Have you ever worked with Vallejo paints? I've just recently discovered them at the recommendation of a couple serious scale modelers.
May 15, 2019, 08:11 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kingbird49
Great thread! Subscribed

I've been using dope for a long time and didn't know these things. Thanks for mentioning them. Your comments may explain a couple problems I've experienced since switching to using a rattle-can finish over nitrate. In the past I always applied butyrate over nitrate and had no problems with the finishes.

While bubbling paint hasn't been a problem, I've definitely experienced problems with undercoats lifting with the removal of masking tape. Switching to Frog Tape has done little to fix this. This all began when I started using a rattle-can finish over nitrate doped silkspan or polyspan. I've felt that happened because I failed to properly sand or "scuff up" the nitrate doped surface adequately prior to painting and also suspected I should have applied a primer coat. It sounds like I may have two problems to address here: 1) allow the nitrate more time to finish curing and 2) better surface prep.

I'm getting ready to paint another plane now (this one covered with Koverall). I'm trying to decide if I should risk using a rattle-can finish or take the plunge and buy an airbrush kit. Comments in this thread are helping me decide how I'll finish my planes in the future. I really appreciate everyone's ideas, experiences and suggestions!

Cheers!
Butyrate over nitrate will have the least issues since they are both dopes.

I've never had an adhesion problem with paint over dope. However; you need to allow the nitrate to fully cure before you shoot over it with anything other than butyrate dope. It needs to outgas, otherwise you will have problems. Scuffing up the dope is a good idea. Fine sandpaper and "lick and a promise" is the way to do it. It's easy to sand through. You have to really really be careful on open areas too. I only shoot epoxy or butryate so I can't comment on adhesion issues with rattle can paints. Try to paint in really light coats and build up until you get the full color.

Airbrushes are great for small stuff but you will be better off with an automotive touch up gun. I also have a 1 qt gun for clear and overall coats but it isn't necessary. I used a $15 cheapie touch up gun for years with no problems until it just wouldn't work one day. I bought a binks professional touch up gun to replace it $$$$$$$ but boy does that thing shoot a sweet coat of paint. Anyway, good luck on the finishing.

carl
May 15, 2019, 08:29 PM
Gravity happens!
Quote:
Originally Posted by carlgrover
you will be better off with an automotive touch up gun. I also have a 1 qt gun for clear and overall coats but it isn't necessary. I used a $15 cheapie touch up gun for years with no problems until it just wouldn't work one day. I bought a binks professional touch up gun to replace it $$$$$$$ but boy does that thing shoot a sweet coat of paint. Anyway, good luck on the finishing.

carl
Thanks Carl -

I have a decent quality automotive style HPLV gravity feed gun that I've used with automotive paints, but hadn't considered it for this purpose figuring it would be overkill. I always needed to set up an elaborate spray-booth to protect everything else in the garage from overspray. Maybe see if I can get a finer/narrower tip for it??

Doug
May 16, 2019, 02:11 AM
I have only used Koverall and dope once on an open bay wing and loved its ease of application and toughness. However, despite countless coats of dope I ended up with a serious pinhole issue when applying paint (enamel).

I would use Koverall again but I would apply jap tissue over it to get rid of pin holes. Has anybody else had pinhole issues? Any recommendations other than applying jap tissue over the Koverall?

Thanks,

Kenneth
May 16, 2019, 01:21 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenneth Paine
I have only used Koverall and dope once on an open bay wing and loved its ease of application and toughness. However, despite countless coats of dope I ended up with a serious pinhole issue when applying paint (enamel).

I would use Koverall again but I would apply jap tissue over it to get rid of pin holes. Has anybody else had pinhole issues? Any recommendations other than applying jap tissue over the Koverall?

Thanks,

Kenneth

Check this thread; same problem other than silkspan instead of Koverall.
https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/show...pan-Tiny-Holes

I've used both Koverall and its generic 100% polyester lining from fabric stores, covered with dope, without pin holes.

But never tried top coating butyrate dope with an enamel. The longstanding conventional wisdom is not to apply a different paint over dope.
I don't completely agree with this but would be cautious and do a sample before trying to paint enamel over a model done in butyrate. Some things to try to get enamel to stick to butyrate are to wait at least a month - or til there is no dope smell - before topcoating with something else; scour the butyrate coating with a fine media to provide "tooth" so the topcoating has a mechanical as well as a chemical bond.
There are also these days "miracle" bonding agents that provide a transition between different coating materials and/or "hard to paint" surfaces, similar to one of the classic uses of shellac; one such product available here is Rust-oleum Xim Uma primer/sealer/bonder..."a urethane modified acrylic".

Michael in Ontario, Canada
May 17, 2019, 05:09 AM
Just got back to this thread and wanted to say I get pin holes in almost every type of covering from silk to silkspan. What I do is make up a slurry of spackeling and rub it over the areas where the pin holes are. Let dry and wipe off with a damp rag. This fills most all the pin holes and can be painted over once completely dry. This works also painting over fiberglass parts.....Gene
May 20, 2019, 02:29 PM
I know the pinhole issue.

When painting using only dope, the pinholes go away as the dope shrinks (pretty quick).

When painting epoxy over nitrate dope, the pinholes are there to stay. What you want to do is put down the first 2 or 3 coats of nitrate dope with a brush and get it INTO the fabric. Then spray a few coats on top to cover and fill. If, while spraying, you notice pinholes forming, you can brush over them while the dope is still wet and scrub them in.

Go easy on the first coat of dope over fabric. It's easy to go through to the other side and have it run down the fabric.

I don't use Koverall anymore. The problem is lessened greatly when using uncertified aircraft fabric. Koverall has defects in it which makes the pinhole situation worse.

little tip: you don't have to clean your dope brush when you're done using it. Just put it in a jar of lacquer thinner and let it sit for a few minutes and it will soften right up.

carl
Jun 14, 2019, 07:28 PM
Gravity happens!
Quote:
Sailorpete, I have used both Butyrate over the nitrate over Koverall, and latex house paint over the Koverall. Never had any issues of my paint pulling off with the tape. The Chipmunk in my avitar was Koverall and latex house paint. The plane is close to 10 yrs old and still looks like new. As far as the Butyrate shrinking over time, the people most worried about it are those that cover with silk or silkspan, afraid of it tearing years down the road. The Koverall is pretty tough stuff, i cant see it tearing over time. Another worry is as the dope shrinks it could cause warping. I have been using Butyrate dope for many years and have not had it tear or warp any of my models, and i use both silk and silkspan on a regular basis. Surface prep is the key to your paint not pulling off, along with how the paint is applied.....Gene
When using house paint do you use a primer? If so, what do you use?

Thanks!
Jun 15, 2019, 04:33 AM
When i use Latex house paint, it is always over primer. I use rattle can DC-540 bought at NAPA auto stores. The Latex is sprayed over the primer and can be thinned with water. I have been told that the DC-540 primer has been recently changed, but the original primer sanded off beautiful. Seems anything that works cant be left alone.....Gene
Jun 15, 2019, 08:55 AM
Gravity happens!
Quote:
Seems anything that works cant be left alone.....Gene
LOL, I hear you there!

Thanks for the help, Gene. I'm going to give that a try.

Cheers!
Doug

Quick Reply