This thread is privately moderated by Pappyjkns, who may elect to delete unwanted replies.
Mar 01, 2019, 08:33 AM
Thread OP
Discussion

R/C Diary Pt. 38, "Combat!"

Many modellers may remember days of yore when some of us flew control line planes and got involved in games of combat with the aim of taking off the ribbon trailing behind the plane in front of you! Oh, what fun!

Now that was a loooong time ago and until recently, I never thought of it anymore. Last fall, I took up indoor r/c micro flying as a way to keep my reflexes sharp. While I was at the arena, some of the pilots were having a blast flying these micro foam deltas about, trying ever so hard to actually knock each other out of the air! Now that’s what I call “combat!”

Our club decided to hold a build workshop in February and about eight of us proceed to build this little warrior. We call it “Rick’s Delta” after the fellow who designed it. It sports an 18” wingspan and weighs in at a hefty 2 ozs! : ) We purchased ten Horizon Hobbies Micro Champ fuselages and proceeded to use the brick and motor for the new delta.

The foam is good old Dollar Tree foam board. The wing is based on the KFm profile that you wouldn’t think should actually fly. We use small 1S, 150 Mah Lipo batteries which last for about 5 mins. We programme elevons on the Spectrum radios and found you need to have a fair amount of reflex set up in order to get these deltas to fly.

It is quite the sight let me tell you, to see 12 to 15 of these deltas buzzing about in the air above the floor of the arena all trying to actually run into the other guy! Total chaos but sooooo much fun! I highly recommend it!

Best Regards,

Lyle Jeakins,
Hamilton, Ontario
Canada
to remove ads between posts
Mar 06, 2019, 03:33 PM
Hi, saw the photo on the side of the front page and thought to see what it is all about.
I was not disappointed

I remember our local group flying indoor combat too but with Depronkers, such havoc and chaos indeed!

12 to 15 planes in same heat in such a huge hall is some sight, I can relate to it
45,7 cm and some 56 grams you say? We have been flying different type deltas, "Harri's Delta", AD/HDs for several years both indoor and oudoors.
15.75 inc wingspan and weighting 0.88 ounces. These can take straight hits and still stay in the air

Cheers
Mar 09, 2019, 02:38 PM
Thread OP
Keppis: Thanks for your comment! .88 oz? Now that is light!

Cheers!
Lyle
Mar 14, 2019, 06:30 AM
Thread OP
As an update to my earlier blog, I finally got a chance to fly the wee beast at our indoor arena. I had a difficult time controlling it. Thank goodness there are pilots in our club who are more experienced flying these deltas. Fellow member, Mike set up the DR & Expo on a two position switch so now I can fly it more desensitized which has been a great help. I think the problem is it came in a little heavy which can affect the performance. With the extra weight, it needs a strong launch in order to get it going. It's amazingly tough though.....takes a lickin' and keeps on tickin' Lol!

Cheers!
Lyle
Mar 21, 2019, 07:05 PM
Thread OP
Okay, I decided to weigh my delta and it came in under 2 ozs. about 52 grams. I thought that was pretty good until I polled the other pilots and they came in about 10 -12 grams lighter! Dang! I'm flying the lard wagon! Lol! Because of the extra weight, I have to make sure I give it a extra strong launch to get it flying.

Cheers!
Lyle

Quick Reply