Jan 20, 2005, 09:51 AM
Thread OP

the high wing/ low wing thing again

high wing designs respond well to rudder/elevator controls
but not as well to aileron/elevator controls
low wing designs respond better to aileron/elevator controls
so what about low wing rudder/elevator designs?
to remove ads between posts
Jan 20, 2005, 10:05 AM
Your assumptions are incorrect. High or low wing makes no difference - if the model is designed correctly, it will respond appropriately.
..a
Jan 20, 2005, 01:40 PM
B for Bruce
I second Andy's answer.

The key element to a low wing rudder-elevator model is using more dihedral than with a high wing model. It makes for an odd model but since it doens't know it's odd it flies just fine.
Jan 20, 2005, 01:47 PM
Use the 4S Luke
"since it doens't know it's odd it flies just fine"

That's my eplanation of why I fly.

Seriously, I have 2 'jets' Wattage F-22 and HET F-18 both have the wierd property of always wanting to be right side up. I've seen both literally flop right side up. Neither have any appreciable dihedral. Neither are appreciably high or low wing. I'm at a loss as to why they behave as they do. My 8lb H9 P-51 flys so much like it's an Avistar it's not funny but it is a low wing with pretty scale looking dihedral.
Jan 21, 2005, 02:26 AM
B for Bruce
I can't find the F18 pics easily but the F22 is very scale in outline. I suspect the fin location is acting like BIG vertical fences that have a strong dihedral like effect and that is what is flipping your models upright. Dihedral is not the only thing that can right a model and I think you've got two good examples of the use of vertical spines located above the balance point.

Years ago in Aeromodeller magazine Solarbo balsa used to have a sketch like the one shown below. It's flying wing with no dihedral or reflex (as in flat) but it flies and stabilizes from a turn just fine. The high mount flat plate provides a high drag moment to provide pitch stability and the odd fin provides the high located side area to right the model similarly to dihedral. It's odd but try making one and you'll see that it's a nice stable if not efficient flyer. The roll stability that comes from the fin location and shape in this little "flying windtunnel" is similar to what I think you're seeing with your F22 and F18.
Jan 21, 2005, 08:08 AM
Use the 4S Luke
Best explanation I've seen.
Now if you could just explain my landings

Quick Reply