Fixed Wing Drone Takes Off Like a Bird

Passerine Aircraft is working on a new type of drone to achieve VTOL capabilities with a fixed wing plane. They want to revolutionize the drone industry with an aircraft that can range out and carry payloads, land anywhere and do it more efficiently than a multirotor drone.

Splash

Bird Inspired Landing Gear on a Plane

Passerine Aircraft is working on a new type of drone to achieve VTOL capabilities with a fixed wing plane. They want to revolutionize the drone industry with an aircraft that can range out, carry payloads, land anywhere and do it more efficiently than a multirotor drone. The design they came up with looks pretty interesting.

It's a high wing airplane with dual ducted fans for propulsion. Instead of traditional landing gear with wheels, the Passerine aircraft uses bird inspired legs. The legs allow the plane to jump into the air like a bird and also provides shock absorbing landings. That's a tall order to provide legs that are light, durable and functional. Nature has us beat in this area, but it's fun to watch and see what designers can create to mimic it.

Check out the Passerine Aircraft Site for More Info

Feb 26, 2019, 01:31 PM
Shut up and fly
interesting need more video please
Feb 26, 2019, 03:03 PM
RCG Admin
Thread OP
I know! I want to see it land.
Feb 26, 2019, 10:15 PM
Looks like something from Rescue Rangers
Feb 27, 2019, 04:20 AM
Wake up, feel pulse, be happy!
That's certainly unusual. Reminds me of those lizards.
Latest blog entry: Jeti ESC resto-mod
Feb 27, 2019, 01:50 PM
Why??????!
Feb 28, 2019, 02:30 PM
I haven't seen an update from them since march 2018...
Mar 03, 2019, 09:32 PM
of course it's a dumb idea given how incredibly inefficient EDFs are.
Mar 04, 2019, 01:45 PM
USA: LakeGeorge, New York
I hope it works and priced fairly for the hobbiest masses.
I HATE hand launching (prop strike)
and stupid bungee launching (takes too much space effort time)
..just sayin'...lolol
Latest blog entry: My FAVORITE FPV CockPits'!!!!
Mar 13, 2019, 03:46 PM
This reminds me of a project that NASA was considering, MANY years ago. A grasshopper gets around by making large jumps, randomly, it has no idea where it's going to land. The strategy can just get it to new food areas quickly, and to evade predators.

I wondered what predators there might be on Mars, but that's not what the idea was. Trundling along on wheels consumes a lot of energy and the device is heavy and complicated.

As I recall, high capacity, instant charge capacitors would be used to drive some kind of legs, like a grasshopper. The charge would be acquired from solar panels or some other power source, maybe nuclear. In any case, a lot of ground could be covered in a short time.

It would be aerodynamically designed to always land on the legs, and they would also contribute to a soft landing.

What will we think of next?
May 08, 2019, 09:10 PM
The dumbest idea one could think off!

And they have even a website.

The "landing gear" is big, draggy, and does not fulfil any practical use: if an airplane can fly off succesfully due to this jump, it would do so even from ground; even the slightest toss would give it a higher initial speed.

Landing on these legs... what for? A belly is the best landing gear...

Trolls!
May 08, 2019, 09:30 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by chileflora
The dumbest idea one could think off!

And they have even a website.

The "landing gear" is big, draggy, and does not fulfil any practical use: if an airplane can fly off succesfully due to this jump, it would do so even from ground; even the slightest toss would give it a higher initial speed.

Landing on these legs... what for? A belly is the best landing gear...

Trolls!
Birds don't land on their belly. They have landing gear, commonly referred to as legs. :*)
Then again, ducks land on their belly but do so much like a seaplane. Pick your corner, gloves up.
May 08, 2019, 11:46 PM
If you want to emulate birds, that is ok. As a project, that could be interesting.

If you want to create something efficient, that is the dumbest idea. I am actually surprised that they even made some prototype, and spent apparently considerable time doing that.

If they would have made a stationary catapult which throws the airplane into the air, that would have been much better - catapult weight and catapult air resistence would remain on ground, not dragged along in the air.
Jun 29, 2019, 02:46 PM
Dion Patelis

Nay sayers

It's interesting how negative and apprehensive people are to new ideas. As soon as a new idea comes about, everyone is all over it saying how stupid it is. That's why creators need thick skin.
Also creations which may be impractical right now, or impractical at this version of a specific model can still be valid in essence. The countless times I've been told I am a stupid twit for even thinking of idea X or Y. Then to see that the nay sayer has this great idea 4 to 12 months later that is their idea. Or a couple of years later to see the idea winning races, or the "leading designer" in a field talking it up when they where the first to rag the living daylights out of me.

To you at Passerine (whoever you are, if your still around) keep going at this. It is valid in certain applications. When EAP's come online as mainstream, even more so. Blend it with more control systems and a few other bits of tech and why on earth would you not want bird style landing at take off.
If the other commenters are too closed minded and lacking in aptitude to see possible uses, then it's not even worth mentioning.

Also don't believe corporate giants. In big money corporate land, no one wants to rick the boat or be responsible. Also it's always up to a board of people to make a decision. They all want to put their 2 cents worth in. Look where we're at with cars, planes, computers, etc. Also in first world countries where most of the supposed leading edge is, the initial founders were cutting edge, but accountants and marketing people run the board today. They have a very different skill set to the creator. They are not there to break new ground. They are to keep the company in profit by selling what is currently popular. They have had all creativity beaten out of them at university and by modern culture. If a new CEO comes on board, introduces a new idea and the stock price goes down, do you think they'd ever get another job?

Usually the best machines are built by one pig headed person and they have a specific intent. The one person oversees everything from conception to the end. People often see them as arrogant pricks who won't listen to common sense. From the average persons point of view who does what their family and the media tells them to do, they are. In reality they ask "Why should I do that?", rather than "I'd better do that, 'cause everyone else is, and I may look stupid if I don't." I look stupid all the time and it's the reason why I've achieved so many things that others only dream about. If someone says that I look stupid testing this or that, then I'm probably on the right path (as long as I have a logical physics based reason and I am not making the same error over and over with no outcome. There is also a time to pull the pin).

"It's none of my business as to what others think of me."

If you want to bounce some ideas around Passerine Airlines, contact me through WingFocus.com. I'm all ears.
Last edited by wingfocus; Jun 29, 2019 at 03:35 PM.

Quick Reply