Fixed Wing Drone Takes Off Like a Bird

Passerine Aircraft is working on a new type of drone to achieve VTOL capabilities with a fixed wing plane. They want to revolutionize the drone industry with an aircraft that can range out and carry payloads, land anywhere and do it more efficiently than a multirotor drone.

Splash

Bird Inspired Landing Gear on a Plane

Passerine Aircraft is working on a new type of drone to achieve VTOL capabilities with a fixed wing plane. They want to revolutionize the drone industry with an aircraft that can range out, carry payloads, land anywhere and do it more efficiently than a multirotor drone. The design they came up with looks pretty interesting.

It's a high wing airplane with dual ducted fans for propulsion. Instead of traditional landing gear with wheels, the Passerine aircraft uses bird inspired legs. The legs allow the plane to jump into the air like a bird and also provides shock absorbing landings. That's a tall order to provide legs that are light, durable and functional. Nature has us beat in this area, but it's fun to watch and see what designers can create to mimic it.

Check out the Passerine Aircraft Site for More Info

Feb 26, 2019, 01:31 PM
Shut up and fly
interesting need more video please
Feb 26, 2019, 03:03 PM
RCG Admin
Thread OP
I know! I want to see it land.
Feb 26, 2019, 10:15 PM
Looks like something from Rescue Rangers
Feb 27, 2019, 04:20 AM
Wake up, feel pulse, be happy!
That's certainly unusual. Reminds me of those lizards.
Latest blog entry: Jeti ESC resto-mod
Feb 27, 2019, 01:50 PM
Why??????!
Feb 28, 2019, 02:30 PM
I haven't seen an update from them since march 2018...
Mar 03, 2019, 09:32 PM
of course it's a dumb idea given how incredibly inefficient EDFs are.
Mar 04, 2019, 01:45 PM
USA: LakeGeorge, New York
I hope it works and priced fairly for the hobbiest masses.
I HATE hand launching (prop strike)
and stupid bungee launching (takes too much space effort time)
..just sayin'...lolol
Latest blog entry: My FAVORITE FPV CockPits'!!!!
Mar 13, 2019, 03:46 PM
This reminds me of a project that NASA was considering, MANY years ago. A grasshopper gets around by making large jumps, randomly, it has no idea where it's going to land. The strategy can just get it to new food areas quickly, and to evade predators.

I wondered what predators there might be on Mars, but that's not what the idea was. Trundling along on wheels consumes a lot of energy and the device is heavy and complicated.

As I recall, high capacity, instant charge capacitors would be used to drive some kind of legs, like a grasshopper. The charge would be acquired from solar panels or some other power source, maybe nuclear. In any case, a lot of ground could be covered in a short time.

It would be aerodynamically designed to always land on the legs, and they would also contribute to a soft landing.

What will we think of next?

Quick Reply