This thread is privately moderated by Late99, who may elect to delete unwanted replies.
Feb 24, 2019, 05:06 PM
Thread OP
Gallery

Finnish Air Force Museum

During our winter holiday I visited Finnish Air Force Museum in Tikkakoski (central Finland) with my son after several years. This place is worth the visit as the planes are well displayed and there's some unique planes, too.

Some highlights:
- Brewster Buffalo (BW-372)
- Bristol Blenheim IV
- Messerschmitt Bf 109G
- Mig-21 (ouside, cockpit inside)
- Saab Draken

See all photos!
Last edited by Late99; Feb 25, 2019 at 12:49 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Feb 25, 2019, 12:29 PM
Thread OP

Bw-372

This Brewster was shot in fierce fight during 1942 and did emergency landing in a lake on Soviet side of the border. Pilot managed to escape and plane was found in 1998. After several peculiar phases the plane finally is on display. To my understanding it's the sole surviving Brewster from WW2.
Feb 26, 2019, 12:08 PM
Grumpa Tom
Fantastic photos! Thank you for the tour. It is an amazing looking museum!
Feb 27, 2019, 04:29 AM
Thread OP
Thanks, happy to know someone is watching! As everything in Finland, it's relatively small when compared to scale of museums in US or UK for example. Still they have plenty of unique planes and they are very nicely displayed.

However, I hope I have opportunity one day to visit Udvar-Hazy Center in US...
Mar 02, 2019, 06:43 AM
Why grow up, it makes no sense
Nice - thank you!
Mar 03, 2019, 07:44 AM
Parkcityflier
I will be in Helsinki in August for three days and plan to visit the museum. I was there about 15 years ago but I would like to see it again.

Jim
Mar 03, 2019, 07:47 AM
Parkcityflier
I will be in Helsinki in August for three days and plan to visit the museum. I was there about 15 years ago but I would like to see it again.

Jim
Mar 05, 2019, 03:38 PM
Thread OP
There's the Finnish Aviation Museum located very near the Helsinki airport.

The one pictured above is Finnish Air Force museum, located in the central Finland (Tikkakoski) near Jyväskylä. Tikkakoski is actually also one of the main Finnish Air Force bases nowadays. All military jet training (BAe Hawks) happens there and also Finnish Air Force is headquartered there.

I guess I should visit the other one (Finnish Aviation Museum) once again and take new pics. I live not too far from it, so that would be easy visit. I think I would have plenty of old pics in my archives, but it's been couple of years since I've visited there and from that perspective a new visit would be worth it. The Finnish Aviation Museum is a bit more crowded in the layout than this Tikkakoski based museum pictured here. And if I recall correctly they don't have quite the same detail to the displays (no dioramas etc). Still plenty of unique planes there, too.

Ping me in the summer if you want me to take you to check local RC activities or drive you around!

Quick Reply