This thread is privately moderated by mike_kelly, who may elect to delete unwanted replies.
Feb 24, 2019, 04:22 PM
Wisconsin
Thread OP
Discussion

UC4H: Son of FrankenSolo gets ESCs!

I hate doing ESCs. Because of my unexceptional soldering skills, I tend to melt them into a pile of slag. I'm going to try real hard not to do that today. I could use the general-purpose node and program it for ESC. It would have the advantage of being able to use one general-purpose node for all four of my ESCs. The ESC firmware supports up to 6 PWM or 4 Dshot outputs. Just a reminder that you can make all these UC4H devices with simple "Blue pill" STM boards that are really cheap. They may not be as neat and clean but it makes UC4H super accessible.

>>>> But I want to use the OlliW super-special Kiss ESC carriers. Super cool!
>>>>

The general-purpose nodes can work with just about any ESC but the Kiss ESC carrier boards are designed specifically for the Kiss32 and Kiss24 ESCs. One of the reasons OlliW chose the Kiss 32 is that it supports telemetry. This allowed him to capture real-time information about the ESC status and create CANbus messages to put that data on the bus, yielding real-time data on temperature, voltage, current, and rpm for each motor. Furthermore, the telemetry data is used to feed a battery monitor, which provides additional data for checking the status of the power train. This allows you to get some of the functionality of the Powerbrick. Now you can know if the temp on your ESC is rising too fast. At what RPM are you hovering? How much current are you puling with the Tarot props vs the T-Motor props? Which is more efficient? You can get this same functionality using the general-purpose node and the right ESC but with the Kiss32 ESC carrier you get a clean CANbus ESC in a single package.

"The ESC firmware also allows adding a LED strip for each motor yielding a lightning system for the copter"

Now it's time to test the ESCs one by one to see if I destroyed anything .

Next Configuring the ESC's
Last edited by mike_kelly; Apr 27, 2019 at 09:44 AM.
to remove ads between posts

Quick Reply