Feb 24, 2019, 01:15 PM
fly it till the wings fall off
Thread OP
Discussion

Anyone still running Quadra engines?

So.... in my collecting I've purchased a couple quadra 35's and a quadra 50. Anybody still run these engines today? These engines were purchased to pair up with a few giant scale kits I have bought for the sole purpose of nose weight.... And also the simple fact that i like the older engines for simplicity! I've tested and dialed in a couple of them and they run good! So my question is anybody still run these on thier birds? Or do you prefer the new cdi engines?
Last edited by *209-CRASH*; Feb 25, 2019 at 12:36 AM.
to remove ads between posts
Feb 24, 2019, 03:04 PM
It's not mutually exclusive, you can still run the quadra engines and fit a new electronic ignition. These engines are built to last forever you just have to look at the conrod setup , I have a 35cc but haven't used it yet.
Feb 24, 2019, 03:31 PM
35's have points, so I avoid those myself. The rest of them I would have no trouble running as long as the power to weight I was looking for would be suitable.
Feb 24, 2019, 07:43 PM
Thread OP
I know Bennett speciaties sells a points eleminator kit for easier starting. It's airly cheap too at just over $20.
Feb 25, 2019, 08:57 AM

Quadra Q400 (37.7 or 2.3 C.I.

I have 2 pcs Quadra 400 and original data sheet. Have not run these Engines, yet
Feb 25, 2019, 10:16 AM
I still run Quadras. I have a couple of US 41 engines (might as well call it a Quadra 42) that I really like. Wind up the prop and let it go, it's running. I also have a Quadra 35.

carl
Mar 07, 2019, 07:35 PM

Just got one on a giant “Sweet n Low Stick”

This one might not be a Quadra now that I’ve read more. It has a sticker that says Zenoh 38cc. But looks similar to a Quadra
Latest blog entry: Too many projects
Mar 13, 2019, 11:29 PM
Thread OP
Zenoah engines are good too! I had a a giant hanger 9 taylorcraft with one it and once I cleaned the carb out (old airplane I had purchased used) she ran great!
Mar 14, 2019, 09:00 AM

This one has never been ran

Quote:
Originally Posted by *209-CRASH*
Zenoah engines are good too! I had a a giant hanger 9 taylorcraft with one it and once I cleaned the carb out (old airplane I had purchased used) she ran great!
So I think all I need to do is replace the fuel lines since it was assembled several years ago. Just for piece of mind. The weather here is finally starting to warm up so I should have it running soon..
Mar 20, 2019, 07:40 PM
They're still my favorite gas engines.
I've got several Q-42's and one Q-52, all in perfect running condition.
They're my favorite engine for any 1/4 scale plane.
Love the spring starters, and properly primed, they they will typically start by the second try.
So yea, some of us are still using those wonderful old engines.
Mar 20, 2019, 09:14 PM
Is there any tips/tricks with these engines? I’ve never had one and just itching to get this one running!
Mar 20, 2019, 10:19 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cessnalile
Is there any tips/tricks with these engines? I’ve never had one and just itching to get this one running!
The most significant thing about them I have found is that you do not adjust the carbs as per directions.
The Walbro carbs used on these engines were designed to run lawn equipment and not airplanes where a smooth transition is important for reliability.
You'll find that they will run better with the Low needle open more than you think and the high needle adjusted for smooth running. In other words, the engine will be running mostly on it's Low needle adjustment with the High needle being adjusted just for a "this side of peak" at high throttle.
Mar 21, 2019, 07:59 AM
In other words, they like to run kinda fat - which is typical for most of the gassers we're running in RC. It may have kind of a "burble" at mid speeds on the flat and level while it's just cruising along fat, dumb, and happy. The burble should clear and turn into a smooth 2 stoke growl as soon as you load the engine/pull the nose up into a climb.
Apr 07, 2019, 12:03 PM
Thread OP
Cessnalile Make sure to change out the fuel line on the clunk in the tank if it's been sitting a long time. After you change out to fresh fuel line fill her up and and rotate your prop and make sure you can see it drawing fuel. If it's not drawing fuel then you will need to change the diaphram in the carb. Super simple motors and like mentioned adjust your low end needle first and make sure it transitions smooth.
Apr 07, 2019, 12:05 PM
Thread OP
Right now I'm looking through my stash of motors and debating on which of my quadras I'm going to run on an Ikon n Wsts Dehaviland Beaver! Which is going to be on floats a few times a year too!

Quick Reply