Feb 24, 2019, 11:53 AM
Thread OP
Build Log

Maxford 1/5 Albatross Saito fg-21

Partial build thread actually. my solution for installing an I/C engine in this ARF. There is only one other thread on installing an I/C in the Albatross, he installed a Magnum 120 glow, The model is billed as suitable for either electric or glow but I think saying that is a bit of a stretch. It requires a lot of modification to put the FS in due to the firewall being only 4 inches back from the first former.

I wont bore you with the details of removing the old firewall just start hacking. I cut 2 shim pieces to but up against the original blocks that located the firewall. It helps to have a miter saw to keep the parts as square as possible. I also cut the new firewall so it closely fit in the battery compartment. the thickness of the shims depends on the length of your engine,
to remove ads between posts
Feb 24, 2019, 12:04 PM
Thread OP
I was able to back drill the holes for the engine mount that I made, They matched up well with the supplied engine mount that came with the FS-21. I have a gun drill bit that worked well. First test fit with the supplied spinner looked good.
Feb 24, 2019, 12:14 PM
Thread OP
The forward landing gear mount had to be moved, it would have ended up right on the carburetor. is bends quite easily. So I made a laminated plate and some quick clamps to mount the fwd U/C brace. I also had to clearance the brace for the carb, Saito requires some air space behind the bleed hole on the back,
Feb 24, 2019, 12:32 PM
Thread OP
Here are some pictures of the somewhat finished install, I have to do some cosmetic work where I had to clearance the cover. Its all on the bottom so it shou dnt show too bad. Also another issue is where to put the throttle servo> I just made a plate and put it in the cockpit. I may move it once im done with the rudder and elevator cables, or hide it with a pilot,
Mar 02, 2019, 12:36 PM
Are you still making progress on your installation?
Mar 04, 2019, 07:09 AM
Thread OP
Yes it has been slow and i had to redo throttle linkage with a flexible cable. I ran the engine for the first time on the airframe just yesterday. Its still breaking in so just a couple of short burts to full throttle, everything seems fine. Still have some of clean-up to do and mount the batteries. I will try to take pics tonight.
Mar 06, 2019, 04:51 AM
Thread OP
More recent pics, Still haven't decided on what to do with batteries. I could really use them as far forward as possible, there is room on either side of the engine, I'm worried about heat and vibration. Also the spinner will not hold up trying to figure something out there also. No hurry as the weather is not great right now.
Mar 09, 2019, 10:30 AM
Thread OP
Here is a link to the video of the fg-21 running in the airframe. Almost ready to maiden, still waiting on 2 new batteries to get here from Tower. I haven't decided what I will do with the spinner yet, I did order 2 extra from Maxford, I may just get everything tuned and glue the spinner to the base. With the batteries on either side of the engine the cg is really close and it weighs in at 12 lbs 8ozs. without the spinner or the bottom cover so its pretty light.

(0 min 31 sec)
Apr 18, 2019, 07:43 PM
How's the Albatross coming? That spinner seems to be an issue, were you able to come up with a solution?

Quick Reply