Feb 23, 2019, 05:28 PM
Thread OP
Discussion

8 channel Rx binding issue

I have an 8 channel Rx in a plane that had not flown in a while (about 18 months). I took it out to the field and initially took a long time to connect (LED green) and the servos were sluggish. Powered it off and on a few times and eventually the servos were reacting properly but connecting was still slow. So, I did a range check and everything looked good. Took one flight, charged my Rx battery (A123) fueled up powered up the receiver got a brief connection and the it went into failsafe and was completely unresponsive. Attemped to re-bind the Rx to no avail so packed up and came home.

Looked at it today and suddenly itís working perfectly. Tried all sorts of things to get it to fail and cannot. While Iím happy itís working Iím suspicious of it being reliable.

Other than a range check, what else can I do in the way of testing?

Thanks,

Kent
to remove ads between posts
Feb 23, 2019, 06:03 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by TopShelf
I have an 8 channel Rx in a plane that had not flown in a while (about 18 months). I took it out to the field and initially took a long time to connect (LED green) and the servos were sluggish. Powered it off and on a few times and eventually the servos were reacting properly but connecting was still slow. So, I did a range check and everything looked good. Took one flight, charged my Rx battery (A123) fueled up powered up the receiver got a brief connection and the it went into failsafe and was completely unresponsive. Attemped to re-bind the Rx to no avail so packed up and came home.

Looked at it today and suddenly itís working perfectly. Tried all sorts of things to get it to fail and cannot. While Iím happy itís working Iím suspicious of it being reliable.

Thanks,

Kent
Corroded connections? ......
Feb 24, 2019, 09:29 AM
Thread OP
Worth checking into, thanks for the suggestion.
Feb 24, 2019, 04:41 PM
Does your transmitter module's LED flicker fast red when you turn it on? If not, then you would have old firmware, so your receiver would likely not show you when there is a power problem (like a reboot) by flashing orange if that occurs.

The only time you see sluggish servos is when the receiver is rebooting over and over again constantly. It takes about 80ms for the receiver to connect after a reboot. So, it is possible to have this happening 10+ times per second and it makes the servos appear sluggish. The v3.0+ firmware flashes the LED orange if the receiver has rebooted since connecting to the transmitter.
Feb 25, 2019, 10:10 AM
Thread OP
Yes, my TX Module flashes red.

My recollection is that the Rx LED was green while having the marginally responsive servos.
Feb 25, 2019, 10:50 AM
All modules flash red, but only v3.0 and later firmware "flickers" (super fast flashing at 44 times per second) red. Does your transmitter do that? The older firmware flashes 2 twice per second.

If you have older firmware on the receiver, and it is constantly rebooting, the LED will be appear as solid green. The newer firmware would flash orange to let you know it rebooted. You could also try doing a RESET to the receiver.
Feb 25, 2019, 02:05 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by TopShelf

Thanks,

Kent
Do we assume that all worked as advertised, before the "18 mo."? ......
Feb 25, 2019, 03:01 PM
Oh! One other thing that can cause the sluggish servo issue is if you changed the transmitter or the number of channels being used, without rebinding the receiver. The frame rate and channel info is stored in the receiver when you bind the transmitter module and receiver together. If that does not match, then the receiver will do unpredictable things, but typically sluggish controls are a dead give away. Someone who just updated their EVO radio from v2.62 to v3.5 just had this same issue because the number of channels goes from 12 to 16 when you update the firmware. What transmitter are you using?
Feb 25, 2019, 07:59 PM
Thread OP
Thanks for the input guys.

1) I see no obvious signs of corrosion
2) yes, it worked perfectly previously
3) yes, rapid red flickering LED
4) I’m using a futaba 9C (working perfectly with other AC)
5) no programming changes to the Rx or Tx

I know the 9C has a reputation for pin issues which I had checked out a few years back and I don’t ever take the module out so it would seem unlikely that would be the cause of the original issue. Especially since it has been working flawlessly with other planes.

Kent
Feb 25, 2019, 10:02 PM
Try doing a reset of the reciever and then re-bind it.
Feb 26, 2019, 08:03 AM
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimDrew
Try doing a reset of the reciever and then re-bind it.
As a reminder, the Rx is working properly already. Does it still make sense to do a reset?
Feb 26, 2019, 12:10 PM
Huh? If the servos are sluggish, and it's not a power problem, then it's not working properly. A reset will not hurt anything. I would erase any programming changes you would have made and re-binding will reset the frame rate/channel info.
Feb 26, 2019, 12:29 PM
Thread OP
Sorry for the confusion, the problem went away after returning from the field. My primary concern is that it “fixed itself” (no intervention by me) so I’m concerned it will “un-fix itself” while I’m in the air.

I’ll proceed with the reset, remind, reprogram.
Feb 26, 2019, 04:19 PM
Thread OP
Reset, re-bound, re-programmed and everything works as expected.

I guess Iíll just do a thorough range test and go fly.

Kent
Feb 26, 2019, 10:27 PM
OK, let me know how the range test goes.

Quick Reply