Feb 22, 2019, 09:06 AM
Thread OP
Discussion

Adding Capacitors to ESC for Longer Wire Length

Hi, Guys!

I have a situation on a high power motor, battery and ESC system and need some advice from you electronics geniuses.

E-Flight Power 360 motor
12S 5000mAh Lipoly Batts
Castle Creations 160 HV ESC

I'm having to extend the BATTERY side leads of the ESC by about 12" to get to the battery position (on the CG) for a larger airframe. I understand that this is hard on the ESC and can induce a ripple effect

Castle Creations makes a Cap Pack that one can solder on close to the ESC battey lead to help with this. My research suggests that these Cap Packs aren't available any longer or are just a high priced unnecessary add on that can be remedied with a single Aluminum Electrolyte capacitor of large size.

I found a Alum Elec, High temp rated, 1000 uF 50V capacitor to use.

Would this work fine to use in my situation to help this? Just solder on the batt leads as close to the ESC as reasonaby as possible?
to remove ads between posts
Feb 22, 2019, 02:01 PM
An itch?. Scratch build.
Have a read here ---

Capacitor for long wires between BL ESC and battery

It's not quite as simple as picking a capacitor by value, specific types are usually required.

Feb 22, 2019, 03:12 PM
Thread OP
This is what I have:
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...re-bullets-btf
Feb 22, 2019, 05:15 PM
homo ludens modellisticus
Quote:
Originally Posted by Highlander
Capacitors must be low ESR type. The one you have is not low ESR, alas.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Highlander
... a single Aluminum Electrolyte capacitor of large size. ...
Several smaller caps in parallel, say 5220μF = 1100μF, is better than one biggie. More effective, lower total ESR, lower total capacitor inductance, lower temperature.

Keep controller(s) close to battery, extend motor wires if possible.
Install extra capacitors on/nextto ESC if you cannot but extend battery wires.

More info in
Too long battery wires can kill ESC: precautions, solutions & workarounds - RCG
Contents
  • Example four costly controllers consecutively cremated
  • Solutions I & II, rules of thumb
  • Problem: voltage spikes higher than batter voltage
  • Capacitor type & polarity (orientation!)
  • How & where (not) to add extra capacitors
  • DIY capacitor pack pictures
  • Capacitor & pack suppliers
  • Expert/manufacturer opinions, they all say the same ... & their rules of thumb
  • Cause/explanation, water hammer/knock analogy, theory, references, measurements
Prettig weekend Ron

Last edited by Ron van Sommeren; Feb 22, 2019 at 05:41 PM.
Feb 22, 2019, 08:25 PM
Entropy is happening!

Inclusion of power meter to total wire length.

Ray and Ron,

After reading the previous very informative thread on this subject, it occurred to me that the pluggin in of a power meter effectively adds, for example, some 200 mm or so of wire length.
This would have the same effect as otherwise making the wires longer..........correct?
If so, is it ok (in terms of protecting the ESC) to add the power meter into the circuit and only use for a short time when testing?
Is spike damage a function of time?
Feb 22, 2019, 10:15 PM
If it flies, I can crash it.
I've bought ESCs that came with 6" of wire and I've bought ESCs that came with 18" of wire. It's not a black-and-white kind of issue so what happens for one setup may not be what happens for another.

The ESC is like a boat getting pounded on a really rough sea. The bigger the boat (motor/battery/ESC) the bigger the waves will be. But also, the longer the wires the bigger the waves will be. The boat is fine if the waves are below a certain level. If the waves get above that level, the boat slowly starts to fall apart, but then one gigantic rogue wave comes along and smashes it to bits in a second.

The point you make is valid. The power meter I have doesn't have leads. Just connectors. Battery plugs in to one, motor plugs in to the other. Adds maybe 1.5" to the overall cable length...
Feb 22, 2019, 10:24 PM
Entropy is happening!
Quote:
Originally Posted by rocketsled666
The point you make is valid. The power meter I have doesn't have leads. Just connectors. Battery plugs in to one, motor plugs in to the other. Adds maybe 1.5" to the overall cable length...
That would be better than mine.
What brand is yours?
Feb 22, 2019, 10:43 PM
Heck if I know, Jim. Some random no-name I bought off BangGood specifically because it was connectors-only. Small, like a couple of inches square, if that, with a color display. I wasn't expecting much, but it seems to work pretty good (up to 60A, I think. I use a clamp-on Ammeter for currents higher than that). Within a few percent on Amps of what my clamp-on Ammeter says. It also has a balance tap connection so you can see individual cell voltages under load. I'll see if I can find the email confirmation of the order with the actual BG stock number...

You might just consider buying a AC/DC clamp-on meter. That way, there's no additional wiring at all. They're surprisingly cheap. BG is a good place to look for this, too.
Feb 22, 2019, 10:59 PM
Entropy is happening!
Quote:

You might just consider buying a AC/DC clamp-on meter. That way, there's no additional wiring at all. They're surprisingly cheap. BG is a good place to look for this, too.
Good tip. I have been meaning to buy one for years..........just never got around to doing so.

I found this one: https://www.banggood.com/DT3266L-ACD...r_warehouse=CN
Feb 22, 2019, 11:07 PM
Read the specs carefully! The clamp part of that particular meter is AC only, so it wouldn't be able to measure battery current.

The highly misleading "AC/DC" designation of the title only refers to wired voltage connections.
Feb 22, 2019, 11:10 PM
> This meter can't measure DC current.

You need to go a little bit higher on $. Try this.

Name: Meter.JPG
Views: 10
Size: 41.6 KB
Description:

As a bonus, this also measures capacitance, so you can see if you've blown out those electrolytic caps you used to try and clean up the power on long battery leads...
Feb 23, 2019, 01:01 AM
Entropy is happening!
Thanks for alerting me to the AC only jkettu and Rocket.
It is not until one reads the actual list of specifications that AC current only is listed.
I will bookmark the one you found for me. I'll order it when the budget allows. Bit stretched at the moment.

Jim.
Feb 23, 2019, 02:46 AM
jofro
Quote-Hi, Guys!

I have a situation on a high power motor, battery and ESC system and need some advice from you electronics geniuses.

E-Flight Power 360 motor
12S 5000mAh Lipoly Batts
Castle Creations 160 HV ESC

I'm having to extend the BATTERY side leads of the ESC by about 12" to get to the battery position (on the CG) for a larger airframe. I understand that this is hard on the ESC and can induce a ripple effect

I use "Eflite 360" in one of my large "Extra" running on 12S, tho 180A/ESC, also fitted set of caps in line between batteries and speedo, I always use higher voltage ones at "63V/460 uF" with all my 12S power set ups like high current draw EDF jets.
Feb 25, 2019, 09:04 PM
Entropy is happening!
Quote:
I've bought ESCs that came with 6" of wire and I've bought ESCs that came with 18" of wire. It's not a black-and-white kind of issue so what happens for one setup may not be what happens for another.
The point you make is valid. ........................
I shortened the wires on my HobbyKing power meter by around 50 mm on each lead, (In and out).
In the fullness of time, I will be buying one of the clamp on power meters suggested below.
Feb 25, 2019, 10:26 PM
Likely isn't going to be a problem unless you hook it up to something that already has really long wires...

Quick Reply