Aug 20, 2019, 10:19 PM
I am not a robot
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aeroplayin
Being an all electric guy for the past six years from 48" to 102", I actually gave the 74" Laser with a DA-35 with a pipe a lot of thought. But just a lot of thought so far.
Seein's how the 74" V2 Laser is just about my favorite flyer...I'd say you'd love it in electric. But I'll let you pick your own motor. I think you can figure that one out. But wow does it fly great. And last Saturday mine with XPWR 35 and 20X10 prop was clocked at 110...out of a dive. I knew it was pretty fast but didn't think it could hit triple digits.

Next time the funds are right you really should treat yourself. Oh and I bet Tom would love it too. Only thing is I think the printed covering is one of the best parts of the plane. Mine is holding up very well and I think it wrinkles less and the wrinkles that it does get are easier to get out. However I now how you worry about weight and of course the printed version is a touch heavier.
to remove ads between posts
Aug 21, 2019, 04:24 AM
Phil liebo
Great info. Thanks!
Aug 21, 2019, 10:55 AM
Now I'm a "Low Flyer"
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sideslip
Having had the 74" Slick on a DA35 I would totally agree with you and Jim. I think the 78" V3 Extra would be a touch on the large and heavy side. Although I can say that my V3 Extra Electric came in a what I consider a piggy 13# 12 oz. ( on my Rapala scale). But it will still fly great with the Xpwr 35cc, which in my way of thinking out performs the DA35 power wise, by a good margin.
Could you please share what your entire set up is! I would like to see how your components compare in weight to mine that I have on the 78" Extra V2.

Did anyone ever post the out of the box weights of 78" Extra V2 and V3 for comparison reasons?
Aug 21, 2019, 10:59 AM
indywestrc & viehercfliers
Quote:
Originally Posted by high flyer Rich
Could you please share what your entire set up is! I would like to see how your components compare in weight to mine that I have on the 78" Extra V2.

Did anyone ever post the out of the box weights of 78" Extra V2 and V3 for comparison reasons?
I weighed everything but the wing tube:
https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/show...&postcount=149
Aug 21, 2019, 06:37 PM
I am not a robot
I can share my accessories and OEM equipment. However I do not have weights for things like the EF tailwheel assembly that I changed out, nor the Rx. Maybe Suds has a weight for the tail wheel. I think we're using the same model.

Motor Xpwr 35cc
Spinner 3.5" Dark Blue CF
Prop, Falcon Electric Beach 20X10
Blazing Star Standard XL Standoffs
ESC, HW 130 HV Opto
Batteries, Admiral 6S 4500mah 40C X2
Rx battery, Glacier 2S 2600mah Rx pack
Servos 5ea. MKS-HV1220
Extreme Flight Servo Extensions
Rx AR8010T with 3 satellite Rx
EF Servo arms 4ea. 1.5" 1ea. 3"

I know the batteries are larger than recommended, so total weight being high is probably due to using 4500s.
Aug 21, 2019, 08:12 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Suds
I weighed everything but the wing tube:
https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/show...&postcount=149
The V1 tubes were 118 g for the main and 60g for the stab.
Aug 21, 2019, 08:26 PM
Now I'm a "Low Flyer"
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sideslip
I can share my accessories and OEM equipment. However I do not have weights for things like the EF tailwheel assembly that I changed out, nor the Rx. Maybe Suds has a weight for the tail wheel. I think we're using the same model.

Motor Xpwr 35cc
Spinner 3.5" Dark Blue CF
Prop, Falcon Electric Beach 20X10
Blazing Star Standard XL Standoffs
ESC, HW 130 HV Opto
Batteries, Admiral 6S 4500mah 40C X2
Rx battery, Glacier 2S 2600mah Rx pack
Servos 5ea. MKS-HV1220
Extreme Flight Servo Extensions
Rx AR8010T with 3 satellite Rx
EF Servo arms 4ea. 1.5" 1ea. 3"

I know the batteries are larger than recommended, so total weight being high is probably due to using 4500s.
Thanks Bert, that was very helpful!
Aug 27, 2019, 01:21 PM
I am not a robot

So who's on first,

And who's doing the art work at Callie graphics these days.

I stewed about whether or not to post this but it's about the third time I've received less than expected quality from Callie Graphics. Below is a photo of the nose of FM's 95" Extra, and next to it is the graphic I received from Callie after sending her the photo of Frank's plane. You be the judge...but me, I think she has her kids working the computes now.
Aug 27, 2019, 06:08 PM
San Antonio TX.
Why not go with B&E graphics, I am pretty sure that is who did FMs because that is who did mine and they are just alike. I see they are offering for the 78Ē and believe they will sell just the teeth and eyes if you donít want the entire package.

Bob
Aug 27, 2019, 06:27 PM
I am not a robot
Quote:
Originally Posted by sensei
Why not go with B&E graphics, I am pretty sure that is who did FMs because that is who did mine and they are just alike. I see they are offering for the 78Ē and believe they will sell just the teeth and eyes if you donít want the entire package.

Bob
Well see that's where the problem started. I wanted to do an almost scale copy of Jim's full scale. And Rob (Suds) has his 78 pretty close. But I wanted the grin like FM has on his. So first I called and emailed B & E and Eric said he thought he could do the decals and he could do the nose art for sure. But he wanted the dimensions for the decals on the tail and turtle deck. Well it's Rob's plane and I don't have the exact measurements. So I thought well why don't I have Callie do the whole job, since she already knows what size to make the tail and turtle deck decals 'cause she did them for Rob. All I needed to do was see if she could do the nose are like FM has on his 95. She assured me that she could. So I thought 'FANTASTIC' but as you can see she could not in fact do the same nose art.

So now I have asked her to do the same nose art as she did for Rob, I've already started getting an order ready for Eric to do the nose art just like the one on FM's 95, and maybe a couple of Xs for the tail.

And I'm going to have him do some stuff for the 60" V2 that I'm assembling now....and which I need to get back to....

Bert
Aug 27, 2019, 07:38 PM
San Antonio TX.
Okay, I see... Youíve already been down the road with this.

I wish the best,

Bob
Sep 02, 2019, 07:02 PM

RX ans Servo power options

Has anyone worked out or setup a redundant way to power the receiver and servos. Is it possible to use a battshare with a single rx pack on one side and then a BEC off of the flight packs to the other side to provide two power options?

Or... and I realize this is probably a dumb question but I will ask it anyway. Would it be possible to use 2 BEC's with one coming off of each 6 cell and into either a batt share or directly into the RX?
Sep 02, 2019, 08:57 PM

lost mine to Jeti failure

Sadly lost my V3 the other day to what I believe was a reboot of the Jeti REX7A (gyro assist) receiver. Makes me #$%^@[email protected]# mad. The plane has been performing flawlessly. Looked at the telemetry from the radio and you can see a break in the signal. When it regains the signal the system said "armed" meaning the receiver started over. UGH. The plane was flying well... going from left to right at about 50' and about 100' to the left of me when I lost all control. The plane continued in a slight dive right into the ground at near full speed.

Had to sell a rare NIB kit to get the money for a new airframe. Had to send the motor back to Ken at Motrofly because the impact was strong enough to bend that shaft. Planning on using a straight receiver and an external gyro (or none at all... the plane doesn't really need it).

I've used this model of receiver in other airframes. The same thing appeared to have happened to my 60" Yak in the past but the crashes were very minor and just needed new landing gear. When I look at the log files for those flights they look similar to this one.

Anyway... I'll be back in the air as soon as I get the motor back from Ken. Love this plane!!
Sep 02, 2019, 09:07 PM
Very sorry to hear that, how were you powering rx and servos?
Sep 02, 2019, 09:19 PM
Receiver and servos powered by external Jeti LiIon 3100 mah pack. It was freshly charged before the flight. Here's the plot with the antenna telemetry.

Quick Reply