This thread is privately moderated by jackheli, who may elect to delete unwanted replies.
Feb 21, 2019, 12:48 PM
Thread OP
Discussion

CAD and Slicer design techniques

Hey guys,

I'm 50% done drawing my 3D aerobatic plane. I needed to overcome many challenges with Fusion 360 and slicing 1 perimeter walls and internals.

Maybe this is all common knowledge technology? I wonder. If not, are we willing to share? I am. Is there a thread that talks about design techniques?

This is a wing panel I made.
to remove ads between posts
Feb 22, 2019, 02:49 AM
I would rather consider this knowledge as "know-how". Basically the design alone has to account for the desired slice location - so you won't be slicing thru geometries that will be non printable after slicing. For example the cut on the wing should be aligned with the "bridge" in ribs to print well and then glue well at the end. Unfortunately this is a experimental knowledge that is paid with tons of failed prints.

Make one design - print - see what is not working then re-design. This is an ugly designer's thruth...
Feb 22, 2019, 12:04 PM
Thread OP
Took me a while to figure out how to make the slicer happy.

Right now I think I got it. My test wing panel was perfect.
Feb 22, 2019, 01:27 PM
My planes plow into the field
Quote:
Originally Posted by jackheli
My test wing panel was perfect.
You may want to consider "Internal tabs" or other mechanism to align the wing panels when they are glued together. Holding them together and using ca glue is a mess and a potential disaster in the making IMHO.
Feb 22, 2019, 02:00 PM
Thread OP
Yes. Will add alignment tabs too.

Has anyone tried printing with a 0.2 nozzle? The skin would be half the weight. Maybe reinforcing the internal structure would suffice.
Feb 22, 2019, 04:42 PM
I've been designing much different than the way 3DLabPrint planes are designed.

ABS, and 2 perimeter. This allows you to use any slicer, and allows for more conventional internals structure design. Everything modeled as a solid. This method gives much better surface finish than the thin-wall design, and will be more tolerant to temperature and sunlight due to using ABS instead of PLA. Additionally, each part is designed with an alignment tab that also provides more gluing surface.

The downside is a slightly heavier airframe weight. However, I do plan on designing the next plane with 0.5mm wall thickness for use with 0.25mm nozzles.
Feb 22, 2019, 05:26 PM
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirty Dee
I've been designing much different than the way 3DLabPrint planes are designed.

ABS, and 2 perimeter. This allows you to use any slicer, and allows for more conventional internals structure design. Everything modeled as a solid. This method gives much better surface finish than the thin-wall design, and will be more tolerant to temperature and sunlight due to using ABS instead of PLA. Additionally, each part is designed with an alignment tab that also provides more gluing surface.

The downside is a slightly heavier airframe weight. However, I do plan on designing the next plane with 0.5mm wall thickness for use with 0.25mm nozzles.
How about PETG?
Feb 22, 2019, 11:41 PM
PETG has roughly the same density as PLA.
Feb 23, 2019, 04:02 AM
Thread OP
You will need a full enclosure or there be lots of warping.

Kudo is posted!
Feb 23, 2019, 12:59 PM
It's not too difficult, though large flat sections I am still working out. Build thread here if you are interested in more:
https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/show...83D-Printed%29
Feb 23, 2019, 01:30 PM
Quote:
Have you tried printing 0,25 mm extrusion width with a regular 0,4 mm nozzle? Works great. I use 0,12 mm layer height and get amazing results.
Feb 23, 2019, 07:27 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lynxman
Have you tried printing 0,25 mm extrusion width with a regular 0,4 mm nozzle? Works great. I use 0,12 mm layer height and get amazing results.
I tried it after you showed your results in your L-39 thread, though I wasnt successful. Though I did try it using 0.2mm layer height, which may have been my problem.
Feb 23, 2019, 09:57 PM
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lynxman
Good to know. Thank you for the tip.

What slicer are you using? What level of weight gain are you getting?
Mar 04, 2019, 12:31 PM
Thread OP
I got my wing ready. Going into designing the fuse. Once it is done and if there is interest I'm willing to share the design.

What do you guys think so far of this wing panel?
Mar 04, 2019, 01:07 PM
Quote:
I tried it after you showed your results in your L-39 thread, though I wasnt successful. Though I did try it using 0.2mm layer height, which may have been my problem.
Yes 0,2 is too tall at that width. The highest I got working was 0,16 mm layers, which is extremely lightweight, but also fragile. In my itty bitty Hercules thread I show off parts printed with 0,12 layers and 0,25 extrusion width. The walls are really 0,25 mm thick measured so the weight savings are good. Solid colored PLA becomes transparent.

I Use Simplify 3D. It has settings for extrusion width in addition to nozzle size. I leave nozzle size at 0,4 mm and set the extrusion width to 0,25. I assume other slicers have similar settings, though I haven't use anything else in a couple of years now.

Quick Reply