Jan 18, 2005, 05:41 PM
don't think.. just fly!!!
Thread OP

NEW prop saver!!! $1 for countless prop saver

after failing to make a new prop saver with a soda can, i came up with a new prop saver... after eating ice scream, and licking every last bit of the ice cream, the popcicle stick hits me!!!! my new prop saver was made out of popcicle stick!!! all you have to do is cut the long piece of popcicle stick into about 1" stick the using a pointy hobby knife, just start spinning where the center of that 1" stick would be... there hook it up to shaft and you got a new prop saver

with a dollar, you can go to WALMART and buy a bag of popcicle sticks for about a dollar, and there.... you will have countless PROP SAVER!!!!!!!!!!
to remove ads between posts
Jan 18, 2005, 05:50 PM
Suspended Account
you lost me,,,how do you fasten a wooden popsicle stick to a 3m.m metal motor shaft??..with out it breaking at high rpms??..have you actually did this mod..or is it just in prototype stages??..lol..
Jan 18, 2005, 06:16 PM
Thread OP
i actually made this mod and it works well... this prop saver DOES NOT BREAK at high rpm... and you fasten the popsicle to the the shaft by using nuts that was provided to you to fasten the prop... so make a little hole in the center of the popsicle stick and using the nuts to tighten them in place just like you would with the prop
Jan 18, 2005, 07:52 PM
naX
naX
I have done this before and it did work... but the money saved wasn't worth it. Sometimes the stick would spin and I would lose the power to the prop. To fix this, I just used some better washers. Another problem I had was the rubber bands coming off, but I think this was caused by my shorter stick. I ended up shelling out the $2.50 for a true GWS prop saver just to be on the safe side.
Jan 18, 2005, 09:54 PM
"The stingy man pays the most." Car Talk Brothers.
Jan 18, 2005, 10:00 PM
I tried it and had the spinning problem. Better off using the type with set screws "wobbley" adapters as Hobby Lobby and Aircraft World sell.
Jan 18, 2005, 10:29 PM
I read this 2 years ago and have used it sence. A wing nut put on backwards works great. I put a nut on first, then the wing nut and tighten them. That way the wing nut won't unthread off.
Jan 18, 2005, 11:01 PM
xoon your not the first to invent this type of prop saver i guess u didnt do much searching? this type of prop savers were invented a long time ago
Jan 18, 2005, 11:15 PM
Thread OP
oh... ... it hits me and it have been working since yesterday when it hits me... there was now slip off or the stick coming loose or anything.. i made three out of one popsicle stick and the thing that i think that would keep it from spinning is putting a washer on both sides of the popsicle stick and using lock nuts ( nuts with nylon on the end)

Quote:
Originally Posted by gazza2003au
xoon your not the first to invent this type of prop saver i guess u didnt do much searching? this type of prop savers were invented a long time ago
yeah, i didn't do much searching... in fact i didn't do any at all... the idea just hit me after eating ice cream
Last edited by xoon; Jan 18, 2005 at 11:19 PM.
Jan 18, 2005, 11:17 PM
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by justme4321321
I read this 2 years ago and have used it sence. A wing nut put on backwards works great. I put a nut on first, then the wing nut and tighten them. That way the wing nut won't unthread off.

man.... that's a great idea, i should have thought of THAT
Jan 18, 2005, 11:41 PM
I copied the popsicle stick idea from sombody here on the Zone about two years ago for my PJS 300, used it in a Pico Moth first and later a T3D. The PJS shaft is smooth so a nut (or wingnut) will not work, I epoxied it on and it has held fine, drilling the hole for a tight press fit might have helped too.

Instead of using the stick on my Len's RC CDROM motors, which also have smooth shafts, I drilled out some spare servo arms and epoxied them on, they seem to work just as well and are lighter and easier to make since they don't require cutting to length.

Here's a pic of my T3D with the PJS 300 from a while back. Couldn't find a pic of the TM.
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showp...&postcount=347

Wayne
Jan 18, 2005, 11:50 PM
Thread OP
well for a dollar, this is the best prop saver ever!!!! not to mention countLESS!!!!!

at first when posting the first thread, i thought i was the one who made this up and now i know that it was started two years ago by an RCgroups member... would anyone here happened to know that individual... i should credit him
Jan 19, 2005, 12:13 AM
As far as I know Tim J-Rome was the first to post the propsaver idea using servo arms.

https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/show...threadid=20421

The popsicle stick was (I think) first posted by JeffS555.

https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=44964
Jan 19, 2005, 12:19 AM
Thread OP
let's all give these guys a great thanks... JeffS555 and Tim J-rome... thanks guys... they must be geniouses to figure those out and putting them work!!!!

STILL can't believe someone got to the popsicle idea before i did

Quick Reply