Feb 25, 2019, 08:26 PM
Thread OP
No secrets of Do-328 project because I am sure no other fellow RC manufacturers interesting of this bird. Here is the airfoil I am going to use, name RSB328. All Windrider RC plane wing airfoil was designed by myself, tool is one ruler one pencil one rubble one roll of tape and many papers.
Please keep your suggestion in, I need help of this very challenging project. Let me know if who want the wing airfoil data, you may be one of the key person to make this plane success.
More difficult decision is angle of attack.
1?
1.25?
1.5?
2?
even more?

Ming Lou
Last edited by Ming; Feb 25, 2019 at 08:37 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Feb 25, 2019, 09:54 PM
world's slowest builder
looks like a good airfoil! Incidence over 2 at the wing root is pretty high for sport plane models...only slow flyers usually go over 3 1 to 2 is more common from the plan builds warbirds, but it does depend on many things including airfoil, wing loading... Do you know how much washout? I think it is common to set root incidence at 1.5 to 2 degrees, and then have 3 degrees of washout at the wingtips. Horz stab should have 2-3 negative incidence compared to the wing
Mar 03, 2019, 02:12 PM
Saw the F-27 again today. The camber is clearly visible, flaps up
Mar 04, 2019, 03:24 PM
world's slowest builder
Yes that outboard flap is in the correct up position. Inboard flap probably had the actuators removed. It certainly has under camber, but not like the first pic. if you notice, near the wing tip, the under camber is much less noticeable.
Mar 10, 2019, 02:22 AM

Some feedback from the field! Eppler 222.

Found some more info, by coincidence, of a Dornier 328. Apparently the German manufacturer Simprop made this model at 131cm wingspan, 1650 gram AUW and uses Eppler 222.. Below there's a video that shows the aircraft with old tech. It seems to fly very well and scale at that. Go ahead and look, there's so much to find.

Some tech details: https://shop.wemotec.com/Do-328-Jet-Simprop

R/C Dornier-328 (2 min 14 sec)
Last edited by RNAF; Mar 10, 2019 at 02:27 AM.
Mar 10, 2019, 10:11 AM
Official Boat Bum
I flew the Simprop Do-328 Jet with two Wemotech minifan 480's. This was 20 years ago + ...back in "round cell" days. The airfoil was very thin and the model was heavy with the gel coated parts, small size (low wing area) and old equipment. The model flew very fast and was NOT tolerant of slow flight. This was entirely based on the construction materials and small size. If it were larger and lighter it would have been a different aircraft entirely with the same design choices. Furthermore, I think if Simprop would have chosen a few different concepts like, if they used a thicker airfoil alone, it would have flown a lot nicer in the original format for the critical takeoff and landing parts of the flight - and would have suffered very little, in 85 percent of the rest of the envelope.

This was back in the day (late 1990's) when all electric models were dealing with marginal power so thin glider type airfoils were used as an efficiency measure to allow the model to get up on step and allow some fun flying once on step. Also, 90 percent of the electric flying community came from pylon racing and high performance glider backgrounds so the general "tastes" of what made a good airplane were different then, than they are today (particularly the electric scale community of today).

The trouble with the Simprop product was the model was always a bit tenuous on how much you could "pull" on G's and and you really had to respect the envelope on speed (could not get too slow). All the scratch build models I made back then of airliner type, also featured thin airfoils and flew similarly (Lockheed P-3, Convair 580, Douglas DC-8). They were efficient and required very little power to fly, but I had to keep the speed up and pull lightly when turning. The DC-8 actually had a slightly thicker airfoil and it was a lot more tolerant of slow flight and higher G, but was still on the "efficiency over forgiveness" spectrum.
Oct 13, 2019, 12:30 PM
Ex-President @ HMM
Ming, So happy to see you are moving forward on Do328. It's been a few years since we talked about it, I was worried that you weren't going ahead with the project but glad to see it.

Quick Reply