San Felasco 2019 F3K Wrap Up

San Felasco is in the books and it did not disappoint. This is the first F3K contest of the year and it couldn't happen in a better location of sunny central Florida. The weather was warm, the flying conditions were challenging and a good time was had by all, even those that landed in the trees.

Splash

2019 Season Opener

San Felasco is in the books and it did not disappoint. This is the first F3K contest of the year and it couldn't happen in a better location of sunny central Florida. The weather was warm, the flying conditions were challenging and a good time was had by all, even those that landed in the trees. It started on Friday with some setup and practice flying in the morning, then a nice catered lunch and a 6 round 1M competition. The weather was perfect and these little planes were doing great. 15 pilots joined in on the fun and the top 6 went on to a 3 round fly off where the scores carried over. Here's how it all ended up.

• 1st Place - Gavin Trussell
  • 2nd Place - Noah Myers
  • 3rd Place - David Forbes

The main F3K contest started on Saturday morning. The wind started picking up early and the back tree line was a good ways out and that meant more land outs than I've ever seen. I landed out probably a half dozen times or more and just couldn't believe it. This also meant that the points spread on the leaderboard could change in an instant and no one was beyond making it into the Top 10 to make the fly offs. It was super fun to fly in these conditions and challenge yourself to read the air.

Sunday started out foggy and we could launch right into it, meaning you couldn't really fly much higher than launch height. The wind was light and you could float for days, but there was actually some lift working if you went back behind the trees. That also meant flying deep into the fog and it was a struggle to even see your plane at times. The fog eventually burned off and the sun came out and we flew until around 2PM getting in 12 rounds of prelims. I somehow managed to end up in 9th in the prelims to make the flyoffs and I was carrying a 571 score! I went into the flyoffs knowing there was no way I could reach the top 3 with the points carrying over, so it was more just for fun. The wind really picked up so I put my heavy ballast stick in and went out for battle. We flew 3 rounds in some of the craziest air I've ever seen. There was carnage, tree landings, land outs and killer sink along with booming thermals. It was crazy! I ended up taking 2nd place in the fly off rounds which only moved me up two spots in the overall standings to 7th place. Kyle won the flyoffs by 53 points, his first time doing that he said, congrats! Here's the top 3 pilots after the fly offs. Great flying guys!

• 1st - Jeff DuVal
  • 2nd - Nathan Bartley
  • 3rd - Ryan Gonsoulin

Man what a fun time! I cannot wait to get back here next February. Thanks to all the men and women who worked so hard to put this together, you all are rock stars!

Feb 19, 2019, 10:14 AM
RCG Admin
Thread OP
Photos from the event.
Feb 19, 2019, 03:47 PM
If it's R/C, I LIKE IT!
Whats the electronics box, pic #10?
Latest blog entry: 93" AJ Laser 230z
Feb 19, 2019, 03:49 PM
RCG Admin
Thread OP
That's the timing electronics that run the whole contest automatically. Mickey built it and programmed it, pretty amazing stuff.
Feb 19, 2019, 08:46 PM
aka: Pauly Knuckles
Super cool pics Jason! Thanks for posting.
Feb 20, 2019, 09:45 AM
What, Me Worry?
I live in Central Florida and I fly sailplanes. I have never heard of San Felasco. Where, oh where, is San Felasco? This is a recurring pet peeve of mine. Postings made of some event that does not state where it was held, other than something vague, like central Florida.
Feb 20, 2019, 09:50 AM
Wayne Wimbish
Near Alachua...

The main thread has all the details. Map info is in the first post.

https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/show...Feb-15-17-2019
Latest blog entry: Paying for Purchases by PayPal
Feb 20, 2019, 11:21 AM
Kyle Clayton
if only there were a way to search for areas you're not familiar with ....
Latest blog entry: Helios and XXLite DLG
Feb 21, 2019, 11:56 AM
Free Flight rubber flyer
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wave Glider
if only there were a way to search for areas you're not familiar with ....
Dude, you just had a possible new flying recruit and you respond that way? No wonder we have trouble getting people to participate in contest flying.
Feb 21, 2019, 09:49 PM
Kyle Clayton
Quote:
Originally Posted by jwfinn
Dude, you just had a possible new flying recruit and you respond that way? No wonder we have trouble getting people to participate in contest flying.
Totally a light-hearted reply, get off the soapbox and chill bro. The F3K community is one of the nicest, most helpful, and friendliest bunch of people I have ever dealt with, and if you read any of the comments from people who attend an event, you will see all echoing the same statement There have been many discussions as to why participation and contests have dwindled recently, the community has never been one of them. At any rate, I've lived in Virginia all of my life and I still hear of places in the state every other week I've never heard of. Pretty easy to figure out where they are nowadays
Latest blog entry: Helios and XXLite DLG
Feb 21, 2019, 11:07 PM
aka: Pauly Knuckles
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wave Glider
Totally a light-hearted reply, get off the soapbox and chill bro. The F3K community is one of the nicest, most helpful, and friendliest bunch of people I have ever dealt with, and if you read any of the comments from people who attend an event, you will see all echoing the same statement There have been many discussions as to why participation and contests have dwindled recently, the community has never been one of them. At any rate, I've lived in Virginia all of my life and I still hear of places in the state every other week I've never heard of. Pretty easy to figure out where they are nowadays
^^^^^this is ALL true. Especially the “chill bro” part.
Feb 21, 2019, 11:59 PM
Flying Low
Quote:
Originally Posted by jwfinn
Seeing as waveglider has converted myself and two other VA locals to F3K in the last year I don’t think he has anything to do with affecting attendance other than maybe making it go up.
Feb 22, 2019, 08:52 AM
I agree with many of the points above on friendliness and welcoming . . . on the field.

In the forums, that's always a mixed bag, but I believe Finn's point was "Google is your Friend" is a pretty antisocial answer. Common, sure, but antisocial.

In this case, a new guy shows up effectively asking for more info about an article from a poorly publicized event (if you're not in F3K, why would you look at the "Hand Launched" section for a random thread?). Google would not have answered what he wanted to know. It would have pointed to a state park web page that talked about trails, trees and horses, and if it mentions ANYTHING about RC it's that you CAN'T.

Wayne pointed to relevant info. Kudos. Kyle . . . pointed to snark, and useless snark at that. Entertaining, for the rest of us, sure, but back to the point, antisocial.

Is this why "have trouble getting people to participate in contest flying"? no . . . but it might go some length to edbu1 thinking he might just stay back in ORL next February. Kyle, keep encouraging people to fly F3K . . . but this isn't how. Finn, chill -- no need blowing this bigger than it is.
Feb 22, 2019, 06:49 PM
Scale Aircraft = Scale Crators
Quote:
Originally Posted by edbu1
I live in Central Florida and I fly sailplanes. I have never heard of San Felasco. Where, oh where, is San Felasco? This is a recurring pet peeve of mine. Postings made of some event that does not state where it was held, other than something vague, like central Florida.
Come up and fly with us some time. PM me. We're out most weekends. State park so only unpowered models.

Mike G.
Latest blog entry: 2019 Mid-South Friday F5J
Feb 22, 2019, 10:01 PM
launch height can't fix stupid
Need to develop the sarcasm emoji...
Hated to miss this event but from what I have heard was probably for the best since I probably would have come back with 3 planes with at least 1 spear gun hole in them.

Quick Reply