Oct 11, 2020, 11:08 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by jlanda
hello friends I finally have my cypher ready for the maiden flight. I have experience flying airplanes but not helicopters or multirotors. I have only flown drones like the mavic pro and the mavic air (so I know the control inputs on the sticks). the question is if that is enough to be able to make my first flight in hover configuration in beginner mode. Please any advice will be very helpful for me.

A more specific question is whether the hover configuration in beginner mode is similar to flying a drone like the mavic pro or mavic air or is it not that easy.

Thanks in advance!
I've never flown a Mavic. I do fly an Eflite QX350. Once you take it off full stability (with limiter), it requires your full attention and gentleness on the sticks. For the Cypher, I strongly suggest you keep the limiter on in all configurations (ie, hover, 45 degree and airplane mode). This prevents you from getting into too much trouble. Just let go of the sticks if you do get a bit "wonky" and the thing will level itself. Mind the throttle so it doesn't fall too fast. Keep in mind that if you go into airplane mode with the limiter on, it will cover a lot of airspace, so slow down a bit and allow for lots of room to turn around and do a complete circuit. It might also be wise to NOT go into airplane mode till you've gotten very comfortable in the hovering modes. It will actually fly quite well and can act "like" an airplane in 45 degree mode. Then try it with the limiter OFF (but still with the stabilizer) in the hovering modes till you get that quad feel back. I also suggest you land it with the limiter ON.
After the first venture into airplane mode (with limiter OFF), note the hands off characteristics. You can trim it for level flight but after you land, put it back to airplane mode on the bench, note the elevon positions, neutralize all the trim you put in and manually adjust the elevon rods to where you first noticed the control surface upon landing and putting back to airplane mode on the bench. Test it out on the next flight and continue to manually adjust till it will fly straight and level with limiter OFF. It should now be trimmed for level flight in airplane mode. You don't want to keep the electronic trim in airplane mode as this can adversely affect the trim in hover mode.
to remove ads between posts
Oct 11, 2020, 11:59 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by xviper
I've never flown a Mavic. I do fly an Eflite QX350. Once you take it off full stability (with limiter), it requires your full attention and gentleness on the sticks. For the Cypher, I strongly suggest you keep the limiter on in all configurations (ie, hover, 45 degree and airplane mode). This prevents you from getting into too much trouble. Just let go of the sticks if you do get a bit "wonky" and the thing will level itself. Mind the throttle so it doesn't fall too fast. Keep in mind that if you go into airplane mode with the limiter on, it will cover a lot of airspace, so slow down a bit and allow for lots of room to turn around and do a complete circuit. It might also be wise to NOT go into airplane mode till you've gotten very comfortable in the hovering modes. It will actually fly quite well and can act "like" an airplane in 45 degree mode. Then try it with the limiter OFF (but still with the stabilizer) in the hovering modes till you get that quad feel back. I also suggest you land it with the limiter ON.
After the first venture into airplane mode (with limiter OFF), note the hands off characteristics. You can trim it for level flight but after you land, put it back to airplane mode on the bench, note the elevon positions, neutralize all the trim you put in and manually adjust the elevon rods to where you first noticed the control surface upon landing and putting back to airplane mode on the bench. Test it out on the next flight and continue to manually adjust till it will fly straight and level with limiter OFF. It should now be trimmed for level flight in airplane mode. You don't want to keep the electronic trim in airplane mode as this can adversely affect the trim in hover mode.
Thank you very much xviper for taking the time to write this extensive and very useful explanation for me. As I mentioned, I don't think I will have any problems if I decide to do the maiden flight in the airplane configuration since I have a lot of experience flying all kinds of planes. My question is if I decide to take off in hover configuration with the limiter on as you say, the plane tends to stabilize it self by just having to make smooth movements on the sticks. or if I release them tends to stabilize with the limit activated.

In any case, of course, I will follow your advice to fly it with the limiter activated in the first flights in all configurations.

thanks again.
Oct 12, 2020, 09:37 AM
Lifting off with stabilizer/limiter on is almost child's play. No worries there.
Oct 17, 2020, 09:00 AM
I am still on the fence for this one. I have a mini convergence and fly it in hover mode only for take off and landing. As soon as I am up to 25-30 on takeoff I switch to airplane mode.
I have never gotten comfortable with hover mode for quads and helos. Not being able to bank and turn with aileron stick just doesn't work for me. I only use yaw for balancing turns and adjusting heading on final approach.
The FV31 is interesting because of the Magic Mode. In this mode do the sticks work like an airplane or a quad? Do the elevons work in magic or are turns only possible with yaw control?
Oct 17, 2020, 09:54 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by k88kramer
I am still on the fence for this one. I have a mini convergence and fly it in hover mode only for take off and landing. As soon as I am up to 25-30 on takeoff I switch to airplane mode.
I have never gotten comfortable with hover mode for quads and helos. Not being able to bank and turn with aileron stick just doesn't work for me. I only use yaw for balancing turns and adjusting heading on final approach.
The FV31 is interesting because of the Magic Mode. In this mode do the sticks work like an airplane or a quad? Do the elevons work in magic or are turns only possible with yaw control?
I have had the mini-Convergence (gave it away to a friend) and I still have the full size Convergence, which I still fly. Both of these are good practice and introduction to the Cypher. However, by not hovering the Connies around, you are missing the best fun on these. The same will go for the Cypher, although it's flight controller is much more sophisticated and gives you a much more stable aircraft in all modes.
In Magic Mode (45 degrees on the rear fans), it still acts like a quad if you keep it hovering around. This mode does allow for more forward movement naturally and if you make it go faster, then you can get enough airflow across the wings to be able to control it "like" an airplane BUT you still can't really "bank and yank" it. You still must use rudder to more effectively direct the nose.
Oct 17, 2020, 09:59 AM
WARNING to Canadian buyers: I just purchased my second FV-31 (in the other color from what I already have). The only choice I had for shipping was UPS. Before it even got near the border, I was informed by UPS that a bill for $113.00 CAN. was due for brokerage and disbursement fees and duty and taxes. The actual brokerage and fees was over 80 bucks. Flex really need to find other shipping methods (like USPS) for shipping their products to Canada. The postal service brokerage is a tiny fraction of what UPS and FedEx charges.
Flex Innovations has a couple of other products that I'd like but I won't be buying anymore from them due to this brokerage fee. The FV-31, I had to have another in case they stopped making them but the other products they sell, I can do without them. That brokerage fee is a killer.
Oct 29, 2020, 12:49 AM

flashing white light on underside?

I was out flying my Cypher today and noticed there was a flashing white light on the bottom of the aircraft.

I looked in the manual, searching for "white" and didn't find anything. Found nothing when searching this thread either.

Anybody know what this is for or what it means?

Thanks!
Chuck
Oct 29, 2020, 09:41 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by indyrcpilot
I was out flying my Cypher today and noticed there was a flashing white light on the bottom of the aircraft.

I looked in the manual, searching for "white" and didn't find anything. Found nothing when searching this thread either.

Anybody know what this is for or what it means?

Thanks!
Chuck
It's just a blinky light for visibility and bling. It doesn't really mean anything.
Oct 29, 2020, 01:12 PM
Any spectrum users who use flight modes? I currently have stability on a two position switch (ch 5 gear). While the flap switch controls the fan position 0, 45 , 90

I'd like to put them both on the flight mode switch with stabilization on in 0 mode and off in 45 and 90.
Oct 29, 2020, 01:26 PM
Stability only and limiter on gear switch. Flight modes on flight mode switch, just in front of the gear switch. Makes it easy and quick to reach when needed.
Oct 29, 2020, 07:45 PM
I'm trying to prevent my last 3 crashes where I switch from forward flight to hover to land and forget to turn on stabilization. I pull up elevator to pick up the nose on approach and do a back flip into the ground.
Oct 29, 2020, 08:29 PM
All transitions are done in "limiter" mode. I'll flip to "stabilized" mode for doing tricks in both hover and airplane mode. When not doing tricks (flips, rolls, loops, spins), I fly in limiter mode. Usually after I've done a flip (in hover mode) or a flat spin in airplane mode, I flip the switch to limiter mode to help come out of it straight and level. When doing tricks, my finger is always on the gear switch in case I get into trouble. For me, the flap switch is just not handy.
Nov 17, 2020, 04:12 PM
Is there anyone using a Jeti radio. I just bought a cypher and I am having trouble getting it to run on x bus. I would appreciate some help over the phone if possible. Thanks in advance Bob. 512-897-9770

Quick Reply