Feb 25, 2020, 10:43 AM
Gravity is patient............
Quote:
Originally Posted by rcoconut
Ahh, sorry & good catch of the details.

Glad you were able to calibrate what you wanted, LOL, apologize for my unnecessary post

No doubt she’s “awesome”, I have so much fun with her!!!! She’s my favorite & I can NOT get enough flights with her!!! Can’t wait for you to take her out & “open” her up!

Figures, have a lot of dayz off and winds forecasted Tues thru Thurs, 30mph-50mph LOL, so I’ll be impatiently waiting to take her up!!!

Coconut
No worries, if I had a dollar for everytime I misread a post and responded I'd already be retired and living in Malibu lol
to remove ads between posts
Feb 25, 2020, 11:58 AM
I am hopeful that Flex will consider doing a new controller with full betaflight support such as additional uarts for addon peripherals, and an onboard OSD. A barometer onboard would be nice too!
Feb 26, 2020, 12:16 PM
Did some hovering and 45 degree mode in my backyard after work yesterday. Really nice. I was playing with the hover position outside the recommended range of leading edge flush with the wing. I noticed when you set hover for a standing still hands off position, it loses its yaw stability. Interesting. I wonder if you increased the Yaw I gains if that would help. Anyway I put it back to stock as it flies great there and it's fine.

Hopefully tonight I can test out forward flight, daylight and weather permitting.

I finished installing bytefrost fpv into the aircraft last night. Worked out nicely. I 3D printed a mount for the stock white camera that comes with bytefrost and mounted it just forward of the canopy hatch. And the bytefrost vtx is mounted above the stock flight controller, using hex spacers. I had to desolder the led pins as they caused interference with the vtx, and then I just soldered the led leads directly into the fc. I also soldered my Crossfire Rx directly to the uart port, as using a connector there would interfere with the Vtx as well. (I couldn't remove the pins from the FC though. I tried but it wouldn't work and I didn't want to get the board too hot or force the pins and rip out a solder trace). I tapped off of the vbat to the FC to power the bytefrost. This way it doesn't load the bec and the bytefrost system can accept 8 to 26v so that will work out perfectly. The BF draws about 1 amp so it might have been a problem for the bec (even if it could supply the necessary voltage).

Bytefrost has an osd that works off of a uart on a FC via MSP, but since the stock Cypher FC doesn't have an OSD the bytefrost currently doesn't produce any info on the transmission. However, bytefrost actually has its own OSD system and it's possible for it to collect the telemetry from the FC (through the uart that connects to the bluetooth module). They are working on a firmware for me that will allow bytefrost to display telemetry on their osd even with an FC that doesn't have one. So once that's available I will be able to get that info on my goggles. In the meantime I have connected the bytefrost VTX to the tx and rx pins of the bluetooth uart (behind the connector) so that once I have the new firmware it will be ready to go. It won't interfere with the operation of the bt module either, because I put a connector on the wires from the vtx to the uart, that I can disconnect when I want to use bluetooth. Or I could just power off the vtx and it would be passive.
Feb 26, 2020, 12:56 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by billyd60
I am hopeful that Flex will consider doing a new controller with full betaflight support such as additional uarts for addon peripherals, and an onboard OSD. A barometer onboard would be nice too!
I see the racing quad guys messing around with their rigs through their laptops. They tweak this and that and adjust all kinds of parameters for optimal performance. I guess if you're in that league, a "new controller" is something right up your alley. I suppose that's why I've never considered getting into the world of racing quads and FPV type of flying. For me, the way the Cypher comes is already far more complicated than I would like to see. I'm glad they send these things out with minimal need for further adjustments and calibration - basically PNP out of the box. I can live with the small amount of "fiddling" via the smart phone app to get this thing in the air. I hope to buy a second one some day before they discontinue it. If they make it any more complex to get ready to fly, I will not buy another one.
If Flex marketed this plane for the quad racing guys, then fine, build in whatever complexities and bells and whistles you like. However, I don't think they marketed it for such an exclusive clientele and as such, further complexity would reduce their desired market niche. It would certainly have excluded me as part of their customer base for this plane. It would make more sense if Flex provided an "optional" controller for the few who might want it.
PS. What would a barometer give you that would be useful? This thing flies for about 3 minutes, 1 minute if you hover it a lot.
Feb 26, 2020, 01:06 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by xviper
I see the racing quad guys messing around with their rigs through their laptops. They tweak this and that and adjust all kinds of parameters for optimal performance. I guess if you're in that league, a "new controller" is something right up your alley. I suppose that's why I've never considered getting into the world of racing quads and FPV type of flying. For me, the way the Cypher comes is already far more complicated than I would like to see. I'm glad they send these things out with minimal need for further adjustments and calibration - basically PNP out of the box. I can live with the small amount of "fiddling" via the smart phone app to get this thing in the air. I hope to buy a second one some day before they discontinue it. If they make it any more complex to get ready to fly, I will not buy another one.
If Flex marketed this plane for the quad racing guys, then fine, build in whatever complexities and bells and whistles you like. However, I don't think they marketed it for such an exclusive clientele and as such, further complexity would reduce their desired market niche. It would certainly have excluded me as part of their customer base for this plane. It would make more sense if Flex provided an "optional" controller for the few who might want it.
PS. What would a barometer give you that would be useful? This thing flies for about 3 minutes, 1 minute if you hover it a lot.
A different fc could be just as plug and play as the existing one. Adding the extras I mentioned could be completely ignored by a user. If you could port the current FC firmware to another board with more hardware capability, it would behave in exactly the same way and require the same level of knowledge to setup. The only complexity would come from using the additional capability. So if you weren't interested in that capability it wouldn't change your current experience.

I have a 3s 5100 mah lipo in mine, hovers for about 6 minutes or so. You could also remove the landing gear, which is significant weight to add more time.

I also have a 3s 6200 lipo that would fit. It is only 25c but at 6.2 amps x 25 that is plenty of amps for the Cypher. That one only weighs 52 grams more than my 5100. If I used that and pulled the landing gear, I bet I could get close to 8 minutes. And forward flight would be much longer.

It takes nothing to add a barometer to the fc circuitry (would require a new FC), It's a nice thing to have to send accurate altitude telemetry back to your tx or OSD. BMP280 is a common one. There are probably external ones, but that would require another uart on the FC so also a redesign. Altitude is a nice thing to have to avoid violating ceiling rules and flying safe.
Feb 26, 2020, 02:25 PM
If it doesn't add to the "fiddle factor" to get it in the air and it doesn't add to the cost, then great.
I use a ChinaHobbyLine 4000mah, 3s in mine and it is as far back as it will go (with some foam cutting so the door will close) and barely makes the CG as recommended. Any heavier than that or any bigger than that, fitment would be an issue as well as the ability to balance it. What brand of battery are you using? When using a 3000mah Graphene, after hovering continuously for 1 minute and doing a couple of "tricks", the battery reads 3.5v/cell. Doubling the capacity and getting 6 minutes is astonishing to me.
Since I don't fly FPV, I guess altitude readouts don't hold much value for me. Flying gliders with altimeter readings teaches me the ability to visually know where the ceiling limit (400 feet) is at the fields I fly. A "give or take" of 50 feet isn't going to bring the rule book packing zealots running to ban me from flying.
Feb 26, 2020, 02:33 PM
Quote:
Could you post pictures of your FPV install and mount?
Feb 26, 2020, 02:41 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by jackheli
Could you post pictures of your FPV install and mount?
Will do tonight.
Feb 26, 2020, 02:47 PM
Quote:
If it doesn't add to the "fiddle factor" to get it in the air and it doesn't add to the cost, then great.
I use a ChinaHobbyLine 4000mah, 3s in mine and it is as far back as it will go (with some foam cutting so the door will close) and barely makes the CG as recommended. Any heavier than that or any bigger than that, fitment would be an issue as well as the ability to balance it. What brand of battery are you using? When using a 3000mah Graphene, after hovering continuously for 1 minute and doing a couple of "tricks", the battery reads 3.5v/cell. Doubling the capacity and getting 6 minutes is astonishing to me.
Since I don't fly FPV, I guess altitude readouts don't hold much value for me. Flying gliders with altimeter readings teaches me the ability to visually know where the ceiling limit (400 feet) is at the fields I fly. A "give or take" of 50 feet isn't going to bring the rule book packing zealots running to ban me from flying.
My 3sx5100 is this one: https://www.readymaderc.com/products...o-xt60-56-61wh

The 3sx6200mah is this one: https://www.readymaderc.com/products...o-xt60-68-82wh

The 5100 fits without any mods. The 6200 fits too Edit: But some interior trimming of the canopy is required. But it's easy work, and not visible. 2-3 mm on each interior side.

Oh and of course you'll either have to change the connectors or make an adapter to use them since they are XT

And my batteries are further back than in a normal setup because I have fpv equipment in the nose, adding weight that has to be countered. For example before I put in the fpv stuff my 5100 battery was 1.5" further forward than where it is with the fpv stuff.
Last edited by billyd60; Feb 27, 2020 at 08:19 PM.
Feb 26, 2020, 02:50 PM
Quote:

The 3sx6200mah is this one: https://www.readymaderc.com/products...o-xt60-68-82wh

The 5100 fits without any mods. The 6200 fits too.

Oh and of course you'll either have to change the connectors or make an adapter to use them since they are XT

And my batteries are further back than in a normal setup because I have fpv equipment in the nose, adding weight that has to be countered. For example before I put in the fpv stuff my 5100 battery was 1.5" further forward than where it is with the fpv stuff.
Flight duration also depends on your elevation...
Feb 26, 2020, 02:53 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by jackheli
Flight duration also depends on your elevation...
Good point I am at sea level.
Feb 26, 2020, 03:03 PM
Quote:

The 5100 fits without any mods. The 6200 fits too.

Even that 6200 mah one is quite a bit slimmer than my 4000, but mine are 70C. I'm also flying at 3500' elevation and I seem to need the extra punch of a higher C battery.
Feb 26, 2020, 08:12 PM
Here's the FPV setup. I normally sink the camera into the nose, but I am not sure I am going to stick with this camera, so I put it on top to make it easy to replace if I decide to go with the optional runcam (for the bytefrost). Also Fatshark said there were new cameras coming soon. So if I hogged out the foam, the shape wouldn't match a different camera. I can alway reshape the printed mount for any camera and replace the current mount without effecting the foam further.

Notice the dented/wrinkled nose. One of the many blemishes I received it with. It was almost certainly a return.

Also notice how crooked the FC mount was installed. Not a big deal that it's off center, but you can clearly see the angle it's on relative to the length of the model. Thinking about tearing it out and replacing it square.
Last edited by billyd60; Feb 26, 2020 at 08:19 PM.
Feb 26, 2020, 11:13 PM
Do you see what I see?
Really nice & clean install!
Feb 27, 2020, 09:16 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by rcoconut
Really nice & clean install!
Thanks. This aircraft is a great FPV platform. Able to take off and land anywhere. I am working on an idea to remove the landing gear but 3D print something light to protect the bottom for hover mode landings. This will increase flight time, since the gear are pretty heavy.

Quick Reply