Feb 18, 2020, 08:37 PM
Long time flyer
Quote:
Originally Posted by G-LO
Hey Dave, are your earliest convenience, can you take a picture of what that look like? I have a DX8 gen1. Not sure if I did that correctly. Thanks.
No probs, went one further and did a quick video - this is on a Bixler, but same concept.

Spektrum DX8 Telemetry (1 min 27 sec)
to remove ads between posts
Feb 18, 2020, 09:39 PM
You're the man Dave..Thanks!
Feb 19, 2020, 10:01 AM
Gravity is patient............
Got my Cypher yesterday. The plane looks like it's been used. One of the wings is dirty on the underside and there was some oily fingerprints in several places. Several dents in the foam all around and some very slight damage to the paint.

I have decided to just keep the plane, but was wondering if this was something most of you experienced? The damage isn't bad enough for me to go through the trouble of a return. I don't mean to make a mountain out of a molehill. Overall still an amazing aircraft.
Feb 19, 2020, 10:03 AM
Mine was impeccable in that regard. You should definitely call flex and send pictures. I'm confident they will sort this out.
Last edited by jackheli; Feb 19, 2020 at 11:32 AM.
Feb 19, 2020, 10:09 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by jackheli
Mine was impeccable in that regard. You should definitely call flex and send pictures. I'm confident they will sorry this out.
Perhaps I will. I am guessing I got a return. Also when I received the package from UPS it was of course double boxed. BUT the instruction manual wasn't in the inner box it was outside of it. And the inner box had no seal on it and wasn't closed properly. Also the inner box was torn where the lid of the box meets the sides (on both sides). Also the packing slip had been torn open from the plastic pouch.

I am wondering if UPS opened the package and had a look.
Feb 19, 2020, 11:20 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by billyd60
Perhaps I will. I am guessing I got a return. Also when I received the package from UPS it was of course double boxed. BUT the instruction manual wasn't in the inner box it was outside of it. And the inner box had no seal on it and wasn't closed properly. Also the inner box was torn where the lid of the box meets the sides (on both sides). Also the packing slip had been torn open from the plastic pouch.

I am wondering if UPS opened the package and had a look.
Are you in the USA? If not, it could have been a customs inspection, but even still, a customs inspection is generally not terribly invasive for a model airplane. I think your guess is probably pretty good. They sent you a "return" and didn't bother to clean it up for you. I'm wondering if they even checked to see if it had previous owner flight damage.
Feb 19, 2020, 01:01 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by xviper
Are you in the USA? If not, it could have been a customs inspection, but even still, a customs inspection is generally not terribly invasive for a model airplane. I think your guess is probably pretty good. They sent you a "return" and didn't bother to clean it up for you. I'm wondering if they even checked to see if it had previous owner flight damage.
Yes USA. We have had a lot of trouble with our delivery services opening our packages. My wife and I have a running gag that the FBI is opening all of our packages. It's been going on for over 20 years. We always joke they've got to be getting pretty bored by now.

In all seriousness we have complained about it several times, but everyone points at everyone else, and how do you go about proving something like that? Outside of putting a camera inside a package and have it record when it light gets in the package I'm not sure there's anything you can do. We get everything we order and it's usually not damaged. And in this case I don't think it was damaged in shipment, even if there was a lookyloo along the shipment route.
Feb 20, 2020, 09:11 AM
Did a little work on it last night. I am adding a bytefrost fpv transmitter and camera to this plane. I was able to stack the VTX on the flight controller with hex spacers just like in a quad.

Every time I use CA I regret it. Messed up the paint a little on one of the verticals. Glue ran on me. I should have used something else. Not sure if goop is ok for this foam or not I'll have to test it. Or maybe Welders contact adhesive would be ok. Both can wreck some foams though.

I was planning on leaving off the landing gear, but you really can't while you're working on the plane, you'll wreck the bottom of the plane. Even later, I think it's either best to leave them on, or perhaps replace them with small "feet" to just protect the bits that will hit the ground on the bottom. Have to think about it. I don't love the gear hanging down in flight. Really ruins the look of an otherwise beautiful plane.
Last edited by billyd60; Feb 20, 2020 at 09:19 AM.
Feb 20, 2020, 10:08 AM
This is what I use but it is out of stock like everything else at hobbyking...

https://hobbyking.com/en_us/foam-cur...en_us_products
Feb 20, 2020, 02:29 PM
Quote:
This is what I use but it is out of stock like everything else at hobbyking...

https://hobbyking.com/en_us/foam-cur...en_us_products
Ok thanks. That tells me that goop and welders will work well on this aircraft.
Feb 20, 2020, 10:32 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by billyd60
Ok thanks. That tells me that goop and welders will work well on this aircraft.
Goop will probably melt the foam. Try it somewhere hidden before using it for real.
Feb 20, 2020, 11:37 PM
Nobody's heard of FoamTac?
Feb 21, 2020, 05:10 AM
Long time flyer
Not down here

I just put together a Bixler 3 EPO model and tried Foam safe cyanoacrylate with kicker for the Tail Fin to Tail Plane and it just peeled straight off (glue on the tail plane and kicker on the fin, push together and hold to a minute or so then let sit for about 15 minutes - pushed gently to the side on the top of the fin and it made a faint click and popped straight off. A gentle scrape with my fingernail and the dried glue came off both pieces easily leaving no trace or damage behind.

Changed tactics and use a hot melt glue gun on the base of the fin then pushed into place - solid as a rock within a minute and going nowhere.
Feb 21, 2020, 08:27 AM
Quote:
Goop will probably melt the foam. Try it somewhere hidden before using it for real.
Yes just read it's epo foam. Gorilla glue is probably the best choice if you don't have access to foam tac.

CA is just awful though. I always regret using it.
Feb 21, 2020, 08:58 AM
FoamTac ismy first choice for EPO foam. Regular CA works fine and much better than foam safe on EPO. On molded parts a scuff sand is always a good idea.

Quick Reply