Feb 15, 2020, 09:49 AM
Quote:
Go with the next recommended on the Cypher product page.

From Flex:

Choose a ‘serial capable’ Receiver for your radio brand. Top Suggestions:

Spektrum 4649T Serial Telemetry receiver (SPM4649T)
Futaba R2001SB S.Bus S-FHSS Receiver (FUTR2001SB)
Futaba R6303SB S.Bus FASST Reciever (FUTR6303SB)
Futaba R7003SB S.Bus FASSTest Receiver (FUTR7003SB)
Jeti EX R3 Receiver
JR DMSS RG712BX Receiver
Hitec Optima SL Receiver

So you're suggesting I go with the Futaba R2001SB, with my Spektrum DX8G2 radio?
to remove ads between posts
Feb 15, 2020, 11:28 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by poiyt
From Flex:

Choose a ‘serial capable’ Receiver for your radio brand. Top Suggestions:

Spektrum 4649T Serial Telemetry receiver (SPM4649T)
Futaba R2001SB S.Bus S-FHSS Receiver (FUTR2001SB)
Futaba R6303SB S.Bus FASST Reciever (FUTR6303SB)
Futaba R7003SB S.Bus FASSTest Receiver (FUTR7003SB)
Jeti EX R3 Receiver
JR DMSS RG712BX Receiver
Hitec Optima SL Receiver

So you're suggesting I go with the Futaba R2001SB, with my Spektrum DX8G2 radio?
Sorry, no. I should have directed you to the manual ........................................ page 10 ...........................
Spektrum AR8010T with SRXL
https://www.horizonhobby.com/ar8010t...ver-spmar8010t

OR .............. you could contact some of your local hobby shops that carry Spektrum and see if any has left over stock on their shelves.
Last edited by xviper; Feb 15, 2020 at 11:34 AM.
Feb 15, 2020, 03:05 PM
Also search amazon and ebay as I saw 4 of the 4649 T/s on amazon and a couple on ebay .
Feb 15, 2020, 04:43 PM
Gravity is patient............
According to Josh pretty much any serial Rx supported by betaflight will work. So any sbus receiver will work. From there it's just what features you might want in the Rx.
Feb 15, 2020, 04:49 PM
Long time flyer
The Orange RX820x is another option. Full DSMX and DSM2 compatible, optional 2 satellite receiver, PWM and serial outputs (Serial output: CPPM, SBUS, Inverted SBUS, iBUS, xBUS RJ01, Spek2048), with telemetry and about half the price of the Spektrum. Have used a few OrangeRX receivers and never had an issue.

If you want to use the serial outputs you will need the optional programming card to set them up.

Sent from my SM-N975F using Tapatalk
Feb 16, 2020, 04:07 PM
Is there a problem with using the Spectrum serial rx that replaced the 4649T?

https://www.horizonhobby.com/srxl2-r...metry-spm4651t
Feb 16, 2020, 04:32 PM
Thx guys, appreciate all the help

So...given that I'll not need nor use telemetry, what might be a basic suitable spektrum rx?

The purchase date is soon approaching!!
Feb 16, 2020, 05:54 PM
I would definitely recommend telemetry for this bird. Not sure how you could monitor battery usage otherwise.

Consumption is so different between they modes you can't or really shouldn't only rely on the timer.
Feb 16, 2020, 09:26 PM
Do you see what I see?
Quote:
Originally Posted by jackheli
I would definitely recommend telemetry for this bird. Not sure how you could monitor battery usage otherwise.

Consumption is so different between they modes you can't or really shouldn't only rely on the timer.
Like Jack says I would recommend telemetry for her even though you have a timer and like Jack states "consumption is so different" depending on what mode or modes you fly in,

For me, thankfully I stocked up on batts so I have enough time to satisfy how I wanna fly, all Hover Mode, all Magic Mode or all Airplane Mode or a mix between all three.

If you don't wanna have telemetry maybe go with a battery voltage/alarm? Something like this:

https://www.amazon.com/PACK-Battery-...NsaWNrPXRydWU=

Which you may already have one.

Coconut
Feb 16, 2020, 11:46 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by rcoconut
Like Jack says I would recommend telemetry for her even though you have a timer and like Jack states "consumption is so different" depending on what mode or modes you fly in,

For me, thankfully I stocked up on batts so I have enough time to satisfy how I wanna fly, all Hover Mode, all Magic Mode or all Airplane Mode or a mix between all three.

If you don't wanna have telemetry maybe go with a battery voltage/alarm? Something like this:

https://www.amazon.com/PACK-Battery-...NsaWNrPXRydWU=

Which you may already have one.

Coconut
I get those as "gifts" when I buy something from RC Castle. They only cost a couple bucks. I've used them before in a flying plane. The problem with them is that anytime max throttle is used for more than just a few seconds, the battery's voltage drops below the threshold of those checkers and the thing goes off often. In a hovering plane like the Cypher, it will be going off within 10 to 15 sec into the hover. Even with the telemetry on the TX, the voice alert starts to tell me that the voltage has dropped well below what one would consider to be "safe" within seconds after lift off and will continue as long as it's in hover mode. Running all 4 fans on this plane is a tremendous power draw for any LiPo, especially in a lower "C" one. I still have to do an estimation of the remaining usable voltage based on how much of each mode I'm flying and what the voice alerts tell me. Nevertheless, having some kind of voltage monitoring is vital until one can develop the experience to know just when to land.
I've learned that for a plane like the Cypher, the higher the "C" battery you use, the better the flight experience will be. Higher "C" batteries tend to resist voltage drop better than lower "C" when we're dealing with the high draw of 4 fans.
Feb 17, 2020, 07:54 PM
gents, I've never used telemetry and would have the foggiest notion where to start

however- as pointed out here, due to the way this model uses the battery, I can see why it would be needed

but now let me ask this: either IN or DURING a flight, how is telemetry used?

do you 1) try & look at the tx during flt, or 2) wait til the flt's over, to get the readings?

as you can see, I have no idea. I'd just set my timer to 3:30, and get more batts as needed
Feb 17, 2020, 08:58 PM
Quote:
gents, I've never used telemetry and would have the foggiest notion where to start

however- as pointed out here, due to the way this model uses the battery, I can see why it would be needed

do you 1) try & look at the tx during flt, or 2) wait til the flt's over, to get the readings?

as you can see, I have no idea. I'd just set my timer to 3:30, and get more batts as needed
If you go with a telemetry receiver, so long as your transmitter has the feature, you can program the TX to give a continuous readout of the battery voltage, mah remaining or any other data that the RX and TX supports. Most of today's TX's allows you to program voice alerts in whatever interval you want. I have mine set to announce the voltage for this plane's battery every 20 seconds. Mine has a female Kiwi voice and the volume is turned up to max. You can pick whatever you like if the TX allows it.
If you elect to go with one of those cheap "clip on" voltage checkers, it attaches to the batteries balance port and is preset to alarm (loud beeping) at about 3.5v/cell. You can hear it a couple hundred feet away.
Initially, you will likely hover the most and hovering draws a lot of juice. You can count on a battery of the recommended size to last about 1 minute. If you take off vertically and don't loiter for too long before going into airplane flight using only 2 fans and then coming in to a hover to land right away, you might get 3 to 3.5 minutes. If you take off and land from a smooth runway in airplane mode (2 fans), you can likely get 4 to 5 minutes, but then, if you do this, why get this plane?
Feb 17, 2020, 09:30 PM
Quote:

Some telemetry sensors allow you to monitor and readout each individual's cell voltage, which is quite convenient.
Feb 18, 2020, 12:13 AM
Long time flyer
I have just set up telemetry on a Spektrum DX8 and in can roll the screen across to show aircraft battery and set a low voltage alarm as well at whatever voltage I want

Sent from my SM-N975F using Tapatalk
Feb 18, 2020, 06:38 AM
Hey Dave, are your earliest convenience, can you take a picture of what that look like? I have a DX8 gen1. Not sure if I did that correctly. Thanks.

Quick Reply