Jan 19, 2020, 07:16 PM

Just want to make sure if it hovers with no wings

Flex Innovation Cypher FV-31 VTOL hovers with no wings (0 min 36 sec)
to remove ads between posts
Jan 21, 2020, 12:44 PM
Bird of Time

Cypher Nose Cone #581 Jackheli

Thanks for the .stl file. I’m intrigued, how did you design such a tight fit. I been messing with Tinkercad, but this is way above my pay grade.
Jan 21, 2020, 01:57 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mauihiflyer
Thanks for the .stl file. I’m intrigued, how did you design such a tight fit. I been messing with Tinkercad, but this is way above my pay grade.
I used a contour gauge...
Jan 23, 2020, 06:02 PM

Rudder Mod Test Result.

Rudder Mod Test Result:

Today I had a chance to try out my manual rudder modification on the Cypher. First I flew in the Magic mode in circle at just over half stick to see how tight the turns were. Then I flipped the switch to mix the tail rudder to the stock rudder channel. Note that I connected the rudder servo to AUX 4 not the steering rudder so that I can activate or disable the tail rudder in flight. Also, this way I can trim the rudder too because connecting the tail rudder servo to the nose steering port will disable the trim. However, once I finish testing and I if I find the tail rudder is helpful, I will then connect with the nose steering port even though the tail rudder will work in hover mode that is useless unless you fly VERY fast in hover mode. The benefit of connecting the tail servo to the nose steering port is that you can test the rudder stability sensor and since I removed the steering servo mentioned earlier, now I can look at the tail rudder instead.

In hover mode, I could see “somewhat” difference in the turn but the real test was in the airplane mode. I planned the test carefully by flying (IN AIRPLANE MODE) first with tail rudder disable (STOCK SETUP) in circle both left and right turn. At the same time, I memorized the approximate locations where I started giving the rudder command. Next I activated the tail rudder and followed through the same flight envelop as best as I could. YES, oh what a difference!! With the tail rudder, I’d say that the turn was quite comfortable and on command BUT I also noticed right away what I predicted before that the side effect of “secondary aileron” would come into play. A tight turn will accompany by slight nose dive which was not that bad because I can either add the mix (rudder/elevation/throttle) to help the matter or manually correct this myself. I chose the latter because coming from flying RC helicopter, this is common to me.

At first, I had some concern about the flight behavior and over/under control of the rudder but now it looked like I was close to what the tail rudder should do. I may have to do some minor adjustment e.g. exponential setting, servo travel.

Sorry for no video of the flight, since my wife wouldn’t come out to do (as a videographer of course ) in the 27F temperature.

Next I will fly in 3 axis mode and expect the tail rudder mod will be even more effective.
Last edited by tanasit; Jan 23, 2020 at 06:40 PM.
Jan 23, 2020, 06:37 PM

Lipo pack resurrection coupler

Lipo pack resurrection coupler (see post #824)

We do realize that running down the lipo pack too low may result in unusable pack! But sometime the fun was too much and we ignored the timer or telemetry warning in particular the car and boat models. However, in the aircraft models the LVC may very well be the death sentence of what we’re flying at the time! Especially the Cypher which the LVC will cut off all the motors leaving you the surface control for you to prove your survival flying skill. In fact, I'd prefer the motors to slow down if that's even possible.

Today is the first time I used the lipo pack couplers that I made. One pack was down to 14% after the flight and once I got home it may be back up to 20% the most after cooling down. However, a few times with my RC boat I ran it down (bad habit) to 3% and it stayed there afterward. I did charge them immediately once I got home and lucky me both Graphene packs are okay. Since the 100C graphene lipo pack can push out a lot of ampere even less than 20% capacity left, I may get careless and over use the pack for the fun factor.

I connected another unused 3S 50C 5000 mAh pack immediately to the 14% 3S 100C 4000 mAh that I just finished flying. I then connected to lipo meter to the balance lead of the used pack which had to be less than 10 seconds afterward. The meter showed 54% right away!! That surprised me a lot, so I disconnected the lead and connected the lead from the new pack and it read 55% (down from 98% in seconds). A few minutes went by, I checked them again and the used pack is now 38% where as the other was at 54%. I disconnected the coupler after the 4-5 minutes and went home.

At home which was about 45 minutes later, I then checked both packs and they’re 36% and 88% respectively. I plan to use this resurrection coupler in the future whenever I run down my pack below 20% for sure.
Jan 23, 2020, 06:48 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by tanasit
Lipo pack resurrection coupler (see post #824)

I connected another unused 3S 50C 5000 mAh pack immediately to the 14% 3S 100C 4000 mAh that I just finished flying.
You may have damaged both packs by the surge of current that was generated. This is a no-no unless you add some kind of resistor in the middle.
Jan 23, 2020, 06:55 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by jackheli
You may have damaged both packs by the surge of current that was generated. This is a no-no unless you add some kind of resistor in the middle.
Thanks, what if I use the "anti spark" connector like below?

Note also that once connected I monitor the temperature and no more than few minutes time.
Jan 23, 2020, 07:01 PM
Quote:
Thanks, what if I use the "anti spark" connector like below?

Note also that once connected I monitor the temperature and no more than few minutes time.
Doesn't help. Check these batteries constantly from now on.
Jan 23, 2020, 09:22 PM
mdv
mdv
You could overheat batteries causing them to explode if you connect them together directly when they are not at the same voltage.
Jan 23, 2020, 10:41 PM
Quote:
Rudder Mod Test Result:

Today I had a chance to try out my manual rudder modification on the Cypher. First I flew in the Magic mode in circle at just over half stick to see how tight the turns were. Then I flipped the switch to mix the tail rudder to the stock rudder channel. Note that I connected the rudder servo to AUX 4 not the steering rudder so that I can activate or disable the tail rudder in flight. Also, this way I can trim the rudder too because connecting the tail rudder servo to the nose steering port will disable the trim. However, once I finish testing and I if I find the tail rudder is helpful, I will then connect with the nose steering port even though the tail rudder will work in hover mode that is useless unless you fly VERY fast in hover mode. The benefit of connecting the tail servo to the nose steering port is that you can test the rudder stability sensor and since I removed the steering servo mentioned earlier, now I can look at the tail rudder instead.

In hover mode, I could see “somewhat” difference in the turn but the real test was in the airplane mode. I planned the test carefully by flying (IN AIRPLANE MODE) first with tail rudder disable (STOCK SETUP) in circle both left and right turn. At the same time, I memorized the approximate locations where I started giving the rudder command. Next I activated the tail rudder and followed through the same flight envelop as best as I could. YES, oh what a difference!! With the tail rudder, I’d say that the turn was quite comfortable and on command BUT I also noticed right away what I predicted before that the side effect of “secondary aileron” would come into play. A tight turn will accompany by slight nose dive which was not that bad because I can either add the mix (rudder/elevation/throttle) to help the matter or manually correct this myself. I chose the latter because coming from flying RC helicopter, this is common to me.

At first, I had some concern about the flight behavior and over/under control of the rudder but now it looked like I was close to what the tail rudder should do. I may have to do some minor adjustment e.g. exponential setting, servo travel.

Sorry for no video of the flight, since my wife wouldn’t come out to do (as a videographer of course ) in the 27F temperature.

Next I will fly in 3 axis mode and expect the tail rudder mod will be even more effective.
The reason for 'poor' rudder authority in plane mode is rudder on planes of this style are only used to keep it straight (on the ground and in the air) not for turning. Turning is done by ailerons and elevators.

Sent from my SM-G965F using Tapatalk
Jan 24, 2020, 03:01 PM
Quote:
Doesn't help. Check these batteries constantly from now on.
First you recommended “some kind” of resistor in the middle.
The anti-spark connector has a resistor connected in parallel. I believe around 40 - 100 Ω.
Care to elaborate your phrase “ Doesn't help. ”
Thanks
Jan 24, 2020, 05:35 PM
Quote:
First you recommended “some kind” of resistor in the middle.
The anti-spark connector has a resistor connected in parallel. I believe around 40 - 100 Ω.
Care to elaborate your phrase “ Doesn't help. ”
Thanks
At what rate do you normally charge your batteries? 1C? 2C? 5C?

How long does it take you normally to get 25% extra charge? 15 minutes? 10? 5?

You just charged your battery at something like 50C to 100C rate and discharged the other by the same amount
Jan 24, 2020, 07:00 PM
Quote:
At what rate do you normally charge your batteries? 1C? 2C? 5C?

How long does it take you normally to get 25% extra charge? 15 minutes? 10? 5?

You just charged your battery at something like 50C to 100C rate and discharged the other by the same amount
At what rate do you normally charge your batteries? 1C? 2C? 5C? I only charge them at 1C.

How long does it take you normally to get 25% extra charge? 15 minutes? 10? 5? At 1C and the pack has about 25% left, it takes about 15 minutes regardless of pack's capacity.

You just charged your battery at something like 50C to 100C rate and discharged the other by the same amount Sorry you just lost me on this

Still how the above questions have to do with the resister required that we're talking about?
Jan 24, 2020, 07:10 PM
Delete:
Jan 24, 2020, 08:15 PM
Quote:
At what rate do you normally charge your batteries? 1C? 2C? 5C? I only charge them at 1C.

How long does it take you normally to get 25% extra charge? 15 minutes? 10? 5? At 1C and the pack has about 25% left, it takes about 15 minutes regardless of pack's capacity.

You just charged your battery at something like 50C to 100C rate and discharged the other by the same amount Sorry you just lost me on this

Still how the above questions have to do with the resister required that we're talking about?
Say it took 10 seconds to charge 25%. That is a 90C charge.

Quick Reply