Oct 20, 2019, 10:08 PM
Do you see what I see?
Quote:
Originally Posted by jackheli
Could you show your fpv setup?
No problem, I won't be back home 'til next week Monday but I'll post a pic first thing.

Coconut
to remove ads between posts
Oct 22, 2019, 11:52 AM

Landing gear fail

I have been flying my cypher for a few weeks with no issues. My take off and landings have been in hover and 45 modes.
This morning I planned on doing forward flight mode for TO and landing.

First takeoff, halfway down the runway the landing gear snapped off at the glued in mounts. Took off the lower fin, slid off the runway into the grass and pushed the motors to a rearward 45% angle and took a bit of foam off the motor cowling.

There is a slight seam in the runway, but never a problem with any other gear.
Oct 22, 2019, 12:54 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by asodestrom
I have been flying my cypher for a few weeks with no issues. My take off and landings have been in hover and 45 modes.

First takeoff, halfway down the runway the landing gear snapped off at the glued in mounts. Took off the lower fin, slid off the runway into the grass and pushed the motors to a rearward 45% angle and took a bit of foam off the motor cowling.

Thank you for the heads-up. I can imagine what it would do on a grass take-off... Won't try it anytime soon.

Can you reglue the foam pieces back into the cowling?
Oct 22, 2019, 01:04 PM
The whole idea of having a VTOL is to not have to do a rolling take off. I did one rolling take-off just see what it would look like and it was just like any other conventional plane - nothing to write home about. I've never had the desire or the need to do one again. My V-22's have those little "Mickey Mouse" tires that were never meant to roll very far or very long. They should have just eliminated the tires and put on little skids instead. All these sorts of planes really need are some short stilts to keep the fans/props off the ground a bit.
Oct 22, 2019, 01:41 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by jackheli
Thank you for the heads-up. I can imagine what it would do on a grass take-off... Won't try it anytime soon.

Can you reglue the foam pieces back into the cowling?
Yes, the cowling is an easy fix. Only 3 pieces.
The landing gear will be more of an issue. One of the plastic pieces is ok, the other broke in half. I'll need another one, then glue in with a better glue.
Oct 22, 2019, 01:42 PM
Do you see what I see?
Sorry to see what happened & hope the repair goes well for you.
Oct 22, 2019, 01:43 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by xviper
The whole idea of having a VTOL is to not have to do a rolling take off. I did one rolling take-off just see what it would look like and it was just like any other conventional plane - nothing to write home about. I've never had the desire or the need to do one again. My V-22's have those little "Mickey Mouse" tires that were never meant to roll very far or very long. They should have just eliminated the tires and put on little skids instead. All these sorts of planes really need are some short stilts to keep the fans/props off the ground a bit.
I won't do rolling takeoffs again. Landing gear mounts are too light.
Oct 22, 2019, 02:04 PM
Quote:
I won't do rolling takeoffs again. Landing gear mounts are too light.
They are indeed. I shouldn't have even done that one take off but our GeoTex runway is fairly smooth this time of year, so what the heck. I was lucky nothing came loose. My V-22's can also do rolling takeoffs due to the much shorter than scale rotors but those tiny little gear would fall off if you blew too hard on them.
Oct 22, 2019, 09:53 PM
Because I only takeoff & land in hover mode now, I removed the stering servo to reduce weight. Early on I broke the forward landing gear tray with a hard landing, the plastic is super thin so glued in plywood for support, see photo. Have more than 20 flights now, all is well! JJ
Last edited by Jet Junky; Oct 22, 2019 at 10:20 PM.
Oct 22, 2019, 10:08 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jet Junky
Because I only takeoff & land in hover mode now, I removed the stering servo to save weight.
Great idea.
Oct 23, 2019, 12:11 AM
In order to get battery voltage telemetry, do I need to make a special wire connection from the Cypher power plug to the telemetry voltage input of my receiver? Or can the Cypher processor monitor the battery voltage and send it to the receiver on the serial line?
Thanks, R.
Oct 23, 2019, 12:45 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by rtront
In order to get battery voltage telemetry, do I need to make a special wire connection from the Cypher power plug to the telemetry voltage input of my receiver? Or can the Cypher processor monitor the battery voltage and send it to the receiver on the serial line?
Thanks, R.
Iím using the Spektrum serial telemetry RX and Iíve done nothing special to get the battery voltage. As long as you open up that parameter on your TX telemetry menu, it just comes. I have it on voice and every 20 seconds or so, it says what the voltage is. I also have mah used. There are other telemetric items that can be activated but I donít find those useful so I havenít bothered. Itís such a short flight, thereís no time for too much information.
Oct 23, 2019, 06:46 AM
Me too. All I had to do was activate telemetry in the dx8.
Oct 23, 2019, 07:52 AM
It is only us Jeti guys that had to do the wire harness mod to get telemetry .
Oct 23, 2019, 08:20 AM
MaineFlyer
Quote:
The runway I fly from is quite rough with grass growing in the seams (as one of the videos show) and caused some bounce on takeoff and and I have landed where I ended up crossing the runway and bounced enough to cause the canopy to fly off. Also landed in the grass. I have not had any trouble with my gear to date. Lately I do tend to land in the magix mode to save wear and tear on the model. A friend ended up landing the high grass this weekend and no damage.
So I would have to say my experience has been a bit different than yours.
Joe

Quick Reply