Sep 23, 2019, 03:54 PM
The actuall opening is 250mm rear esc cables to front steering gear and total opening is 65 mm wide and 27 mm high ,,,,and it tappers up to 38 mm at the front battery strap mount
andddddd ,,, the rear cables could be laid down to get 290 mm worth of batteries in ,,,

but you are not going to get a battery any wider and higher than the one I gave the measurements to into it without a lot of hacking ..... and any weight over its 431 grams is just going to eat into the performance of the plane ...and the time is not going to increase proportionately with the larger MAH ... flex-innovations has done their home work on this and 3500 MAH at 75 C and 386 grs of weight is pretty much their top end to get the maximum flight performance and time . their might be another battery that isn't theirs that would do a little better ,,,but I doubt it will do much better .

FYI their battery weighs 386 gr,,,, my 5000 weighs in at 431 grs ... so I think that something in the 386 to 395 gr area is going to be about it .I have one coming that is a 4500 MAH and weighs in at 378 ,,, we'll see what happens to that .

It also makes a big difference in how much hovering you do ,, how many convesions and at what throttle you cruise at ,,,sooooooo ,, a live telemetry feed on MAH used would really be nice .. going to have to get my manual out for my Jeti now .
Last edited by v22chap; Sep 23, 2019 at 04:03 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Sep 23, 2019, 07:33 PM
FYI, we chose the 3S 3500 75C from many candidates and specifically added it to our line/stock specifically for the Cypher. It is the sweet spot. Certainly 3000-4000 45C or higher is the sweet range for sport flying.
A 5000 mAH can be fitted and will work. You could probably get significantly more flight time in economy forward flight cruise.
You will feel the weight, it will be less sporty.
You will not get a ton more time in hover.
You will use more power in hover modes, You will heat and stress everything more in hover modes.

Once you learn how to manage the throttle and fly efficiently, you can get a nice flight from our 2200 45C (an excellent pack). I think I fly about 2:20 to 2:40 with it, and can get a lot of maneuvers in... but that is not the pack I choose most of the time... but if you are short of others... it is fun... but not really suited for just hovering around.

IMO, Cypher is not best utilized spending most of its time in hover... the fun is doing the transitions and stunts and all of that. (I am probably 3% in full hover, 30-40% in 45 mode, and the rest in forward flight... you can watch the videos of how we choose to fly it.)

That is the best I can tell you. Hope it is not too much information.
David
Sep 23, 2019, 08:39 PM
I can see what you mean about learning how to manage throttle. In Seth's Windy flight demonstration, on a 3300mah, battery he managed to get about 6min and 10 sec respectively! That is pretty good.
Sep 23, 2019, 09:31 PM
Can someone point me in the right direction? Or, to see if I'm understanding this correctly. This is my first time dealing with computer stuff for Rc.

Since it is instructed by that one can download the Speedy bee to a Android device, for there ..how can I interface the F3 board? Thanks
Sep 23, 2019, 10:01 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by G-LO
Can someone point me in the right direction? Or, to see if I'm understanding this correctly. This is my first time dealing with computer stuff for Rc.

Since it is instructed by that one can download the Speedy bee to a Android device, for there ..how can I interface the F3 board? Thanks
There is supposed to be included, a Bluetooth device with the plane. I plan to use that. I do the same for my Spektrum 636A receivers. I believe there is even a bit of a write up about this in the Wiki for the Cypher.

http://wiki.flexinnovations.com/wiki.../Configurators
Sep 23, 2019, 10:23 PM
Was the bluetooth device included with yours? Where was it? The only packed items I didn't unpacked was my spars and wheel stuff. Could it be in that? For I haven't located it anywhere in my plane.
Sep 23, 2019, 10:41 PM
....just got out of bed and into the living room. Had to open the box and check the spar and wheel stuff..and what do yah know, it was right under the wheel stuff staring me right in the face. I'm good now
Sep 23, 2019, 11:01 PM
Very good! It's tiny and can be easy to overlook.
Sep 24, 2019, 12:02 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by v22chap
The actuall opening is 250mm rear esc cables to front steering gear and total opening is 65 mm wide and 27 mm high ,,,,and it tappers up to 38 mm at the front battery strap mount
andddddd ,,, the rear cables could be laid down to get 290 mm worth of batteries in ,,,

but you are not going to get a battery any wider and higher than the one I gave the measurements to into it without a lot of hacking ..... and any weight over its 431 grams is just going to eat into the performance of the plane ...and the time is not going to increase proportionately with the larger MAH ... flex-innovations has done their home work on this and 3500 MAH at 75 C and 386 grs of weight is pretty much their top end to get the maximum flight performance and time . their might be another battery that isn't theirs that would do a little better ,,,but I doubt it will do much better .

FYI their battery weighs 386 gr,,,, my 5000 weighs in at 431 grs ... so I think that something in the 386 to 395 gr area is going to be about it .I have one coming that is a 4500 MAH and weighs in at 378 ,,, we'll see what happens to that .

It also makes a big difference in how much hovering you do ,, how many convesions and at what throttle you cruise at ,,,sooooooo ,, a live telemetry feed on MAH used would really be nice .. going to have to get my manual out for my Jeti now .
Thanks for the dimensions v22chap!
And thanks dribbe, I do really appreciate your supplying good suggestions for batteries.
I do have several 3S-2200 45C batteries, and used individually will at least have something for very short flights when I first get down to Arizona.

v22chap: If there really is 250mm from front to rear of open space in the battery compartment, I should have no problem putting two 3S-2200 packs one in completely front of the other (in formation flying terminology, arrange the batteries in "line astern" formation). Mine are only about 120mm each in length, and that includes about 10mm each for cable. That would total 380grams.
Please could someone try this and see if the C of G would work? And I wonder where the receiver would go???
It might even be possible to put one flat near the back, and another on edge in the higher clearance front area, and then if necessary potentially move the front one back to slightly overlap (side to side) the flat back one if it's necessary move the C of G back a bit (vs. plain "line astern" formation).

Am just brainstorming a bit. Thanks, R.
Last edited by rtront; Sep 24, 2019 at 12:05 AM. Reason: Added mention of receiver space needed.
Sep 24, 2019, 09:20 AM
I don't have any 3S but have 4 S 2200 that are 100 mm long maybe 10mm for wire ,,weight together is : 471 grs ,,, but my wires come off the side which is where I would run the wire to hook them together .
Anyhow ,, the back one has to be 1 " or so forward of the back ,,because of the way the top canopy lock in tab has to go in and the support in the canopy for it .. then with both the batteries back as far as they will go ... its CG is on the front side of the CG area ,, being a little nose heavy yet . So yours being lighter ,,, but longer , I can't say ,,,but i bet it will be to far forward to be real aerobatic ... good luck on your idea .
Sep 24, 2019, 12:52 PM
On larger batteries... there is little harm in lowering the height of the inner lap sill of the hatch in areas where things are tight. Inner edge can also be chamfered a bit. Single edge razor blade works.
Noting that this is not required with the recommended packs.

David
Sep 25, 2019, 10:10 PM
Do you see what I see?
YESSSSS, she’s all setup & ready for her maiden;

- I’m using a DX9, her Rx is the recommended SPM4949T & I configured the setup like Connection B (with Betaflight Telemetry) on Page 9 of the manual
- I have an Android & used SpeedyBee along with the supplied bluetooth module & setup worked fine for me on 4G (whew)
- 45 degree (Magic Mode) was off a lot for me so did the adjustment by shortening the linkage several turns as stated on Page 21 of the manual
- 90 degree (Conventional Configuration) was off as well so had to fix by Travel Adjust in my DX9 Servo menu per Page 22 of the manual
- Hover Configuration needed minor fine tuning via the same method as stated above
- Relocated Channel 6 (Flight Configuration) to Switch F for ergonomic reasons for myself
- Main Wing install for me I preferred the “snug” fit, no shaving off anything to make the wings fit, just a solid “push” to get the wings secured to her fuse, guess I didn’t need to but I applied the included pieces of tape & placed on both top & bottom of her wing
- Elevon setup was perfect!!! No adjustment needed per the Elevon Centering Gauge

Tx Flight Control test worked fine with the expected results & Flight Configuration worked fine & double checked again with all 3 gauges & all 3 modes were set fine. Throttle run-up was good but I forgot to change THR CUT to a switch on SpeedyBee, even though I have THR CUT on Switch H on the Tx, so I need to Arm the Motors as per the manual states on Page 20, with full right RUDD, which is idle, to increase THR Switch H needs to be in the “ON” & visa versa to Disarm the Motors, LOL.

Thanks for all the help, videos & suggestions with setup David & Seth as well as those pilots who got her all setup & explained their experiences here.

Coconut

P.S. - leave for work tomorrow out of town so her maiden will have to wait ‘til next week when I get back, DARN IT!!!!!!!!!
Last edited by rcoconut; Sep 25, 2019 at 10:13 PM. Reason: Words added
Sep 26, 2019, 04:44 AM
Wow, good job, Coconut! I was fooling around the Speedy Bee last night on my android, and I have to say that it was pretty impressive.

I appreciate the references you posted on your check list. That's really helpful...thanks! Gone out of town again? Man, you are one busy guy! Well, you gotta make that money somehow. Wish you the best on the maiden.

Question, in the "configurator " section, was your floating diagram (the active representation of the plane axis that shows ..Back, left ail, right ail, etc.) floating aimlessly and Not stationary as on the Seth's video? However the corresponding axis controls were correct. The only time it Was stationary, is when the pitch wasn't correct. I followed the instructions where it says to "reverse" the selected channels. I'm still working it out. I'll take a gander at the WIKI when I get off of work for more insight.
Sep 26, 2019, 09:09 AM
Hovered mine in the backyard yesterday. All good... Maiden on the weekend.

Using two 1500mah graphenes in parallel.

I wonder why in hover the fans are tilted forward which then requires gyro calibration with the nose gear raised... Wouldn't it be simpler to put everything flat?
Sep 26, 2019, 09:22 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by jackheli
Hovered mine in the backyard yesterday. All good... Maiden on the weekend.

Using two 1500mah graphenes in parallel.

I wonder why in hover the fans are tilted forward which then requires gyro calibration with the nose gear raised... Wouldn't it be simpler to put everything flat?
Accel calibration is irrelevant to the configuration you're flying in. The 'shim' is just to create a slightly positive AOA when in the Beginner profile, regardless of Flight Configuration (Hover, 45, or Conventional).

The slight forward tilt of the rear fans in Hover Configuration is just to allow some forward penetration into the wind. It is personal preference and can be adjusted as desired, but for most people, you'll be flying in some amount of wind, so some forward penetration is desired. It also gives the aircraft a bit better yaw control, since the fans not only speed up/slow down to create yaw (torque), but also create yaw from a differential thrust component as well.

Seth

Quick Reply