Sep 15, 2019, 10:59 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thomas B
App working again now that I am home. Must not like wireless 4g at the field.

Tested it with Wi-Fi turned off on my phone. Not working unless Wi-Fi is active.

Is that normal?
Didn’t think so. Probably needs more test but I have used at feild.
I assume you meant Speedy Bee App for iOS?

FYI, gyro calibration is not needed. Accelerometer yes.
There is also the Tx stick technique for this.
to remove ads between posts
Sep 15, 2019, 11:08 PM
Electric Coolhunter
Quote:
Originally Posted by dribbe
Didnít think so. Probably needs more test but I have used at feild.
I assume you meant Speedy Bee App for iOS?

FYI, gyro calibration is not needed. Accelerometer yes.
There is also the Tx stick technique for this.
I was indeed talking about the Speedybee app.

I said gyro, but mean accelerometer calibration. My bad.

Oddly, the app is now working when not on Wi-Fi. Weird.
Latest blog entry: RC events for 2019!
Sep 16, 2019, 12:43 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by asodestrom
Tracking says Friday Sept 20.
I see yours is going via UPS. I think the problem (delay) with mine is that itís up to USPS to pick it up from Flex and they probably donít do that every day.
Sep 16, 2019, 10:49 AM
Perhaps I missed it in the above comments, but I have some questions, trying to understand flight performance in advance.

1. I understand that the auto-leveling mode can be used in all 3 flight modes. But when in the forward flight mode, is there sufficient control to bank the plane and turn like a fixed wing plane? I get the 68 degree bank limitation, but the convergence wouldn't turn easily without making an uncomfortably large "run-away-from you" radius turn.

2. In forward flight mode, does this plane "glide" with low or throttle off power emulating a "dead stick" landing?

3. The instructions are not clear about the position of the nacelles when setting the CG. I would think CG should be set in forward flight mode and perhaps a little bit more from the 13/16" edge of the hatch (about 1/16"??) to ensure a glide is induced. Please comment.
Last edited by szempruw; Sep 16, 2019 at 01:50 PM.
Sep 16, 2019, 10:59 AM
Electric Coolhunter
Quote:
Originally Posted by xviper
I see yours is going via UPS. I think the problem (delay) with mine is that itís up to USPS to pick it up from Flex and they probably donít do that every day.
USPS tracking info can be highly problematic. I have had USPS shipments arrive before the tracking info ever updates past what you have now.
Latest blog entry: RC events for 2019!
Sep 16, 2019, 02:15 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by szempruw
but the convergence wouldn't turn easily without making an uncomfortably large "run-away-from you" radius turn.
I have both the Convergence and the Mini-Con. The problem with these types of VTOLs for those first starting to fly them is that we tend to transition into airplane mode at higher throttle and then fly them quite fast as many of them will dip a bit after transition. The loss of altitude after transition is a matter of "fine tuning" and can be dialed out but it does lead to a habitual high throttle flight after transition. Once you learn just how slowly these things can fly without stalling, even on limited bank mode, they can turn is a fairly small area. I'm sure this will be the case for the Cypher.
As for your other question about "dead stick", I recall David mentioning his guess as to the stall speed being around 15-20 mph although he's never tested it. I suppose this is something that we all need to test out at altitude regardless of what plane it may be.
Re: CG, just looking at the way the rear nacelles are mounted, the weight of them on the pivot points won't change much no matter what angle they are pointed, unlike the Convergence, where the weight transfers forward when they go level.
Sep 16, 2019, 03:22 PM
Finally, its here!
Sep 16, 2019, 04:18 PM
Quote:
Perhaps I missed it in the above comments, but I have some questions, trying to understand flight performance in advance.

1. I understand that the auto-leveling mode can be used in all 3 flight modes. But when in the forward flight mode, is there sufficient control to bank the plane and turn like a fixed wing plane? I get the 68 degree bank limitation, but the convergence wouldn't turn easily without making an uncomfortably large "run-away-from you" radius turn.

2. In forward flight mode, does this plane "glide" with low or throttle off power emulating a "dead stick" landing?

3. The instructions are not clear about the position of the nacelles when setting the CG. I would think CG should be set in forward flight mode and perhaps a little bit more from the 13/16" edge of the hatch (about 1/16"??) to ensure a glide is induced. Please comment.
1. at pretty close to full throttle you can yank and bank turn pretty tight ... I would say probably 100 foot with out any coordinated turn ,, for those of you who don't use your rudder . If you do coordinated turns you can turn in 4 feet or less .

2. Yes it glides good even at idle ,, but better be descending too ,, I found stall speed when I started a turn and naturally pulled back a little to make the turn

3. I think this is a pretty CG forgiving bird ... even though they say it needs to be as close as possible .. I am flying 3 sizes of batteries and just have a mark on the holder for each ,,but did my CG check in hover mode ... although the picture of checking CG shows the bird in 45 degree mode ,,which would make sense ...as it is half way between both .... but good point the manual doesn't say ,,,,, soooooo ,,,,

HEY David .... which is the proper CG procedure ???
Sep 16, 2019, 05:53 PM
Quote:

60 degrees of bank requires about 2G of turn to maintain altitude... a pretty aggressive turn. 68 degrees is even more (About 2.5G)... so it turns pretty good even in 6 axis. Also, you can change that number in the configurator.... (By the time you get to 90 degrees, the G is infinite to maintain level, so it is not a linear curve)!

Yes, in ALL modes (but including forward flight mode) it can glide. Elevon control is quite solid gliding down regardless of mode/rear fan angle. You can deadstick land. With some practice, you can glide in in hover mode and do a very short/slow landing with VERY LITTLE power... a short burst.

Fan angle has negligible effect on CG... but let's say forward flight mode is fine.
I just put a mark on a piece of masking tape on the bottom... put my fingers on the marks... pick it up upright and level and see if it is pretty close. That is good enough. It has a range... surely +-5mm that one can try in... at the end of the day, the 'correct CG' is set by personal taste... starting with a known safe range.
If the CG is BACK, it will fly fairly well still, but the trim will get more sensitive. FORWARD, the trim will change more with airspeed in FF, but it will be a little more stable/locked in.

David
Last edited by dribbe; Sep 16, 2019 at 06:01 PM.
Sep 16, 2019, 07:05 PM
"Fan angle has negligible effect on CG... but let's say forward flight mode is fine.
I just put a mark on a piece of masking tape on the bottom... put my fingers on the marks... pick it up upright and level and see if it is pretty close. That is good enough. It has a range... surely +-5mm that one can try in... at the end of the day, the 'correct CG' is set by personal taste... starting with a known safe range.
If the CG is BACK, it will fly fairly well still, but the trim will get more sensitive. FORWARD, the trim will change more with airspeed in FF, but it will be a little more stable/locked in."

My concern about CG is a fellow club member had the CG, I think, a little too far back, midway between the edge and the vent making it tail heavy. Each time he tried forward flight, the plane shot straight up. He tried changing the angle of the nacelle to correct this. Forward flight seemed touchy. A few degrees angle change resulted in toggle up or toggle down flight. I convinced him to put CG at least at 13/16" and try more to see if it tamed the transition to forward flight. Delta wings have more peculiar flight characteristic. I flew Laddie Milasko's delta the NorthStar. With engine behind the CG and a sharp leading edge, it was almost unflyable. Thanks for the comments. Mine should arrive tomorrow so I will soon see for myself.

BTW, he was limited to how much further forward he could move the battery because the on-board leads were short. He made an extension for the Potenza battery.
Last edited by szempruw; Sep 16, 2019 at 07:34 PM.
Sep 16, 2019, 07:23 PM
Do you see what I see?
Quote:
Originally Posted by G-LO
Finally, its here!
Mine just arrived as well!!!!

AND..........

No chance to set her up, but I am READY to get started!!!!!!

Haves fun G!

Coconut
Sep 16, 2019, 07:43 PM
I’m still waiting for a shipping quote to Hawaii.
Just got my quote,$93 Priority Mail,will have to think about it.
Last edited by Kauaiguy; Sep 16, 2019 at 07:49 PM.
Sep 16, 2019, 09:02 PM
Do you see what I see?
Wish I could throw it out the window to you when I go home to Kailua-Kona, HI

Coconut
Sep 16, 2019, 09:20 PM
Back at chu C!
Sep 16, 2019, 11:20 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by rcoconut
Wish I could throw it out the window to you when I go home to Kailua-Kona, HI

Coconut
Me too