May 19, 2019, 07:56 AM
Soar high, huck low
Is there a possibility that when you installed/programmed the cam the brake on the ESC became disabled? Just a guess. I have almost zero experience with the CAM. I installed mine last night for the first time, maiden with be this afternoon. The directions were clear and stick programming was easier and less intimidating than I thought. Let’s hope it works as planned.
Latest blog entry: Super sized Delta combat wing
to remove ads between posts
May 19, 2019, 07:58 AM
One other question. What is the action of an overheated motor? Yesterday with multiple flights, when I hit throttle the motor sometimes seemed as though it would seize. Almost like it was trying to spin but as if the prop was blocked with something. Continued fiddling with on/off throttle usually made it go. But then I would just stop. I came home yesterday evening after a few flights and overheating came to mind.

When I took my fuselage out of my carrier, I noticed the spinner was still warm in spite of the last flight having been 20 minutes or so prior.
My altimeter records temperature and I'm seeing over 100 degrees recorded in the cockpit. Can't vouch for the accuracy thought. Battery is warm after flights.

Admittedly I have almost no airflow to the motor. Just wondering if it is overheating with multiple flights back to back, and if that "seizing up" is the indicator.
May 19, 2019, 08:01 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by electrich
Is there a possibility that when you installed/programmed the cam the brake on the ESC became disabled? Just a guess. I have almost zero experience with the CAM. I installed mine last night for the first time, maiden with be this afternoon. The directions were clear and stick programming was easier and less intimidating than I thought. Let’s hope it works as planned.
Possible. My confusion is everything worked fine for a while. But the prop isn't just freewheeling in the wind, you can actually hear the motor running when you get close. I'm not sure a folding prop can freewheel, seems even without a brake it would still fold as it slowed but IDK.
I think it may be actually in the transmitter. I'm going to try and use sub trim on the throttle channel to adjust and see what happens.
May 19, 2019, 08:20 AM
Scale Aircraft = Scale Crators
A folding prop will still freewheel if no brake is enabled.

The CAM works by reading the initial low throttle value and reverting to that when 30sec or altitude cutoff occurs. This can be a problem with ESCs that do auto calibration of high and low endpoints for high and low throttle. The ESC will get confused where the low should be and it end sup setting it lower than the low that the CAM read. This causes the issues as described. I've seen it on some of the ESCs I owned.

I solved it by doing the following: setting a switch for throttle disarm. I make sure this switch is set for a really low pulse rate. Essentially you want to have it like -150% so it's really low. When you power on the model have that switch pulled. Everything should initialize to a value so low for low cutoff that the chances for misconfigured low on the CAM and the ESC is minimized.
Latest blog entry: 2019 Mid-South Friday F5J
May 19, 2019, 01:53 PM
Is there anybody from the Henderson, SC area that will be attending the Mid-South? I need to deliver a plane to Jim McManus in Henderson, and am trying to save us both some shipping charges. I will be at the Mid-South and can bring it that far if one of you fine gentleman can get it the rest of the way. I can ship in a sport tube but that is expensive and prone to damage.

Thanks for your help.

Ron Kukral
[email protected]
May 19, 2019, 06:39 PM
Service Engine Soon
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crashbound
One other question. What is the action of an overheated motor? Yesterday with multiple flights, when I hit throttle the motor sometimes seemed as though it would seize. Almost like it was trying to spin but as if the prop was blocked with something. Continued fiddling with on/off throttle usually made it go. But then I would just stop. I came home yesterday evening after a few flights and overheating came to mind.

When I took my fuselage out of my carrier, I noticed the spinner was still warm in spite of the last flight having been 20 minutes or so prior.
My altimeter records temperature and I'm seeing over 100 degrees recorded in the cockpit. Can't vouch for the accuracy thought. Battery is warm after flights.

Admittedly I have almost no airflow to the motor. Just wondering if it is overheating with multiple flights back to back, and if that "seizing up" is the indicator.
Depends on the motor set up but yes most motors for F5J or ALES are not designed to run continuous for more than 30 seconds with out time to cool off in-between cycles. It's even border line with some (over prop) set ups to run 30 seconds at full power on a ten minute cycle. If it smells burnt it's done you just melted the insulation off the windings.
May 20, 2019, 01:52 PM
Flying in circles.
Crashbound - regarding post #92, if the motor wires are rubbing on the can, it has the same symptoms you describe. I know from experience. The motor overheats due to the binding up.
May 20, 2019, 08:11 PM
Jody Miller
Packing for the trip! Looking forward to seeing everyone at beautiful Triple tree.

Jody
May 20, 2019, 08:24 PM
Meerkats: cuter than mere cats
Quote:
Originally Posted by sailjester2811
Packing for the trip! Looking forward to seeing everyone at beautiful Triple tree.
Jody, are you camping or staying in a hotel?
Latest blog entry: OpenTX Glider Simulator V2.0
May 20, 2019, 09:02 PM
RCG Admin
I'm prepping stuff also. Really looking forward to flying and hanging out with everyone!
May 21, 2019, 06:08 AM
Looking like good flying conditions but it will get hot mid 90's. Hope electric hook up for RV is good. Is there a dump station available? Packing up today.

Art
May 21, 2019, 06:59 AM
Scale Aircraft = Scale Crators
After having some issues with two wings at an ALES contest last weekend I'm scrambling to get them fixed. I'm glad that the issues cropped up so that I at least had a chance to fix it all. Just hoping that my order for servos gets here on Wednesday!
Latest blog entry: 2019 Mid-South Friday F5J
May 21, 2019, 07:17 AM
Soar high, huck low
I’m gonna nite the bullet and camp. Who new a tent can also service as a sauna?
Latest blog entry: Super sized Delta combat wing
May 21, 2019, 07:44 AM
Packing up today leaving tomorrow after work. Can't wait to hang out with everybody and fly some sailplanes!!!!!!!
May 21, 2019, 07:46 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by p9o1r1sche
Crashbound - regarding post #92, if the motor wires are rubbing on the can, it has the same symptoms you describe. I know from experience. The motor overheats due to the binding up.
Going to pull the motor tonight and check that. It was a VERY tight fit and from the start, I had concerns about wire clearance. Don't think there is rubbing but won't know for sure until I look. While I'm at it I may drill some holes in the firewall so there can be SOME air going in, however small.

Heck I'm looking forward to this. I'm still trying to work out trim & CG on this new plane and with my just rebuilt battle scarred Yellow Jacket as a backup. Having flown yesterday in wind, or trying to, I only managed one flight over 10 mins, one slightly over 9 and zero launches to 150 meters but close. Needless to say the Introduction does NOT like wind, nor the Yellow Jacket for that matter. With any significant wind I'm toast, LOL. I have no expectations of doing anything but flying & having fun... if I don't smoke the motor that is.

I'm camping too, Friday night anyway. I need to be home Sunday morning so I'll leave for home sometime Saturday afternoon. May be too warm in a tent, bring a cot and sleep under the stars. I assume there are not trees available for a hammock?

Quick Reply