Apr 02, 2019, 09:37 AM
Oleg Golovidov
Regarding ALES/F5J rules etc.

There are (almost) no requirements to the planes in either ALES or F5J other than AMRT. You can fly anything that has an electric motor, just install a proper AMRT.

ALES is usually a 10 minute duration, with a 10 second launch window, and precision landing on a graduated 5 m tape, where the points go from 50-45-40-35-30-25-2-15-10-5-0. Your plane needs to have an AMRT (CAM is the most popular) that cuts off at 30 seconds and 100/150/200 m altitude. The altitude for the contest is chosen by the director. Usually either 200 or 150 m.

F5J has a "working window" of 10 minutes, both launch and landing must be done within that window. The landing tape is longer, 10 m. The AMRT does not cut off based on the altitude, instead it measures the final altitude. The pilot can cut off the motor at any altitude, and gets some penalty points for the launch height, so there is an incentive to launch lower.

For inexperienced pilots, ALES is easier and simpler, so I recommend you start with that.
to remove ads between posts
Apr 02, 2019, 01:06 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by olgol
Regarding ALES/F5J rules etc.

There are (almost) no requirements to the planes in either ALES or F5J other than AMRT. You can fly anything that has an electric motor, just install a proper AMRT.

ALES is usually a 10 minute duration, with a 10 second launch window, and precision landing on a graduated 5 m tape, where the points go from 50-45-40-35-30-25-2-15-10-5-0. Your plane needs to have an AMRT (CAM is the most popular) that cuts off at 30 seconds and 100/150/200 m altitude. The altitude for the contest is chosen by the director. Usually either 200 or 150 m.

F5J has a "working window" of 10 minutes, both launch and landing must be done within that window. The landing tape is longer, 10 m. The AMRT does not cut off based on the altitude, instead it measures the final altitude. The pilot can cut off the motor at any altitude, and gets some penalty points for the launch height, so there is an incentive to launch lower.

For inexperienced pilots, ALES is easier and simpler, so I recommend you start with that.

Thanks for the clarification. Interested in F3-RES too but ALES will work! This is close by so I need to try and make it.
Apr 02, 2019, 01:43 PM
Oleg Golovidov
Definitely sign up and come to fly with us.
If you don't have a CAM, somebody will lend you one.
I have one that I can lend you.
Apr 02, 2019, 01:47 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by olgol
Definitely sign up and come to fly with us.
If you don't have a CAM, somebody will lend you one.
I have one that I can lend you.
This work?
https://alofthobbies.com/soaring-cir...t-limiter.html
Apr 02, 2019, 02:08 PM
Save the ALES
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crashbound
I think the Soaring Circuits CAM units are the most popular for ALES, but the Aloft Hobbies site says they're out of stock. You could also go straight to the source or try SoaringUSA or Esprit.

I keep mine in my electric-powered gliders all the time. They seem to partially restore the challenge of a winch launch.
Latest blog entry: Some Thoughts on ALES vs. F5J
Apr 02, 2019, 02:25 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Miami Mike
I think the Soaring Circuits CAM units are the most popular for ALES, but the Aloft Hobbies site says they're out of stock. You could also go straight to the source or try SoaringUSA or Esprit.

I keep mine in my electric-powered gliders all the time. They seem to partially restore the challenge of a winch launch.
Yes I noticed they are out of stock @ Aloft and SoaringUSA says call for availability, Esprit says coming soon. Sooo...Thanks for the other link.
I've been intending to put them in my electric gliders, just so there is a known "baseline', if you will, to measure comparable flight times.

I'm going ahead and signing up for this. If a conflict happens oh well.
Apr 02, 2019, 03:22 PM
RCG Admin
We can use the Altis line for ALES too right?
Apr 02, 2019, 03:59 PM
Professional sink locator
Yep,
The Altis will work for both ALES and F5J.
Apr 02, 2019, 05:06 PM
Service Engine Soon
Yes the Altis will work but just be familiar with how to change it over. I like using the little key pad myself. But even better just have two and set one for F5J the other for ALES and have the plugs where you can change them out easily. It's much easer to change the ALES setting for altitude than to change from F5J to ALES. When you trust one to work correctly you won't want to fiddle with the settings at least for F5J.
Apr 02, 2019, 05:12 PM
Service Engine Soon
There are or should be fees for camping. This is about your honesty and generosity. Tent camping donate. RV camping donate more. If you feel good donate even more. Jeff is relying on us and I hope he is not disappointed this year.
Apr 22, 2019, 06:38 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by tbroeski
Since Ales and 5J are not combined, can we fly both?
Well, can we do both?
Latest blog entry: Tuff season
Apr 25, 2019, 08:23 AM
Jeff Carr
Thread OP
Hello everyone from the missing CD

Works been hectic so let me catch up here. Fri will be all day combined ALES/F5J One or the other. If I allow both it will slow down the pace and I would rather keep things moving. 150 meters for the ALES guys.

Im getting shirts done and awards. Im still going with the theme of you can use what you win type of prizes. Thats all Ill say about that.

OK now working with TTA and the new director about camping. In the past Pat has worked with us on electric. Im not so sure that will be the case this time around. So bring your generators if you have them. 200.00 for the weekend will deter most so fair warning. I will attempt to work something out. There will be camping fees. as we do use the showers and warm water. In the past most have been good about additional donations for camping and I just gave it all back to TTA. Last year was very tuff on them as weather was hard on most events.

So as I said Im still working on it. So please bare with me

Jeff
Apr 25, 2019, 08:59 AM
Save the ALES
Quote:
Originally Posted by Goinav8n
Fri will be all day combined ALES/F5J One or the other. If I allow both it will slow down the pace and I would rather keep things moving. 150 meters for the ALES guys.
What does that mean? How will ALES and F5J be combined? Will you be alternating rounds with an ALES round, an F5J round, an ALES round, etc. (which sounds like an interesting idea to me, giving competitors breaks between rounds), or will ALES fliers be standing alongside F5J fliers and flying at the same time? Or will you first hold one contest, then the other, in which case they won't actually be combined?

Also...
Quote:
200.00 for the weekend will deter most so fair warning.
I don't understand what that means either. It sounds like you're saying you have to pay $200 just for 3 days of electricity. Could you please clarify?
Latest blog entry: Some Thoughts on ALES vs. F5J
Apr 25, 2019, 09:38 AM
Jeff Carr
Thread OP
Ok the electric is for RV hookups

Im thinking 3 groups of F5J then 2 groups of ALES. This can be reduced or expanded as we get closer

This will run all day as 2 events running at the same time. Everyone gets the same amount of flying in.

Jeff
Apr 25, 2019, 10:52 AM
RCG Admin
Surely camping for 2 nights in my hammock isnít going to cost $200

Quick Reply