May 25, 2019, 08:42 PM
Congrats Jody!
to remove ads between posts
May 26, 2019, 08:28 AM
RCG Admin
Top 3 from yesterday
May 26, 2019, 08:29 AM
RCG Admin
Start of another hit and awesome day Soaring.
May 26, 2019, 03:04 PM
RCG Admin
All Done. Fantastic event, had a blast. Canít wait for the next one!!!
May 26, 2019, 03:32 PM
Soar high, huck low
Huge thank you to Jeff Carr and EVERYONE else involved in the planning and execution of this wonderful event. Saturday might BBQ was incredible. Weather was hot, but trees close to the flight line provided ample shade and the breeze made it bearable. Grass was like a carpet. This was my first exposure to TD and ALES and wonít be my last. While my Radian is a fun plane for lazy Sunday flying and thermals ok, it just canít hang with a 4 meter composite ship. I guess Iíll be saving up for a new toy to compete with next year. I put a ďstamp of approvalĒ for the event out to my brother and he is going to spread the word among his soaring buddies in Pennsylvania which could net us about 5-10 more pilots next year. I made it home at a decent hour last night and am enjoying the rest of the holiday weekend with the family on the lake. Despite finishing dead last on Saturday it was an awesome time and has me hooked to compete again. Drive safe and I hope to see everyone again at the next contest.
Latest blog entry: Super sized Delta combat wing
May 26, 2019, 04:10 PM
Sonoran Laser Art
Nice job Tom Scully!!! You were out numbered big time by Moldies

It sure looks like it was a fun event at a great looking field
Last edited by CloudSniffer; May 26, 2019 at 05:00 PM.
May 26, 2019, 08:01 PM
Wow Great fun. Well worth the short trip from home and enduring the 95į heat and 103į heat index. Shade provided relief. Friday ALES I was in the middle of the pack until the last two flights...unable to find any lift and missed landing points. Saturday TD I had some okay flights, making my time twice and got a few landing points but the last flight, whew, like I had a brick onboard, couldn't find anything. Being my first contest, I had no expectation and only goal was not to finish dead last. I managed to do that!
Thanks to Jeff Carr and those who helped him pull this off. Never envisioned the amount of work this takes and I know we only saw a small fraction.
Got to meet a few RCG folks including Tom Scully and got to see his beautiful Yellow Jacket. Miami Mike, several others and recognized some names that I just didn't get a chance to formally meet.

Name: IMG_4491.jpg
Views: 25
Size: 1.65 MB
Description:

(^Those colors just WORK. That plane is highly visible at altitude.)

I got called in the first group in the first round having not one contest flight at all and thought, "Oh that's just my luck". I felt like a kid on a playground with no friends at first but somehow landed with an enjoyable crew: AJ, Richard, Derry, Randy, and Tim. Great guys that welcomed me like one of their own and helped me navigate my first contest and were great timer partners, helping all the way. A BIG thank you to these guys.
I planned to camp at Triple Tree Aerodrome overnight Friday but living only 1 hour away the choice between sleeping out in the heat and humidity or air conditioning and my own bed was easy. I opted to drive home and return early Saturday.

Triple Tree Aerodrome is amazing. I've played at nice golf corses that didn't have a fairway as nice as the runway here. The planes in the hanger just boggles the mind and is less than Smithsonian Air & Space or Pensacola Air station only in numbers. The planes are immaculate, the engines show no grease or even dust. I wish I had taken more photos. One of my favorite WWII warbirds:

Name: IMG_4507.jpg
Views: 16
Size: 672.8 KB
Description: Name: IMG_4508.jpg
Size: 666.4 KB
Description:

The BBQ dinner Saturday night was awesome, Triple Tree Aerodrome is awesome, the contest was awesome & fun, the guys I hung out with were great, just an overall enjoyable time. I'm looking forward to next year!

Greg

Name: IMG_4487.jpg
Size: 373.0 KB
Description: Name: IMG_4502.jpg
Views: 17
Size: 675.2 KB
Description: Name: IMG_4488.jpg
Views: 23
Size: 301.7 KB
Description: Name: IMG_4503.jpg
Views: 19
Size: 1.15 MB
Description:
May 26, 2019, 09:25 PM
Rising hot air = Good!
Jeff, another GREAT Mid-South is in the books and you should be very proud of they way this contest went off. We all had a great time despite some "warm" temps a little humidity. JOB WELL DONE MAN! THANK YOU for putting up with us again another year. You are Da' Man.

Greg, (AKA: Crashbound) we had a ball hanging with you. You made a great addition to our little band of mischief-makers we call NASA (North Atlanta Soaring Association) . What a great guy and a great flier too! Richard flew the Connie!!! Wowsers! Yes, it's 167 inches of grace, yes, it's over 11 pounds and YES it thermals like a cloud. Great job of showing us how she flies! The most frequently heard remark around the Connie was "Holy Cow that is a BIG girl".

AJ, Thanks for helping me sort out the new (to me) Xplorer. I really needed the help and you helped with typical sage advise that was right on. Now I know she will fly. The picture of Tim unpacking is what every sailplane junkie looks like when he arrives at "Sailplane Heaven" the first day. (AKA: Triple Tree) The smile says it all. Saturday dinner was incredible. I've had a cool shower .....let's do it again next month Randy
Last edited by rkuntz; May 27, 2019 at 02:31 PM. Reason: Add NASA Pics
May 27, 2019, 02:07 PM
Missy and I had a great time! Thanks for all the kind words on the BBQ. I really enjoy cooking for friends and it was an honor to help Jeff and his family to put on a great event! See y’all next year!
May 27, 2019, 04:48 PM
Service Engine Soon
Mid South and Triple Tree, always a must do event. I had a good time for sure. I was off my game a little in F5J and took three high risk starts below 55 meters. Only one worked out but very fun trying.
I was great to meet Jason, he is for sure going to be one of the best RC soaring pilot in the US.

I will have to reluctantly admit for this event the mixed lunch worked fine. I do believe a few people where able to fly TD that otherwise would not have. But I was also surprised knowing how many pilots including me had the choice and decided to stayed with winch lunch. I for one am glad I did given I haven't spent much time flying TD in the last year.

It's very nice to see so many family's there, including the dogs. So many times we go off to some desolate location out in the middle of no where. And our family's have no idea what it is that we do, or what we see in this hobby, that make it so special to us.

[email protected] is also a very good opportunity for someone that is interested in the hobby to visit and not feel so intimidated. I bet we will see three new to soaring pilots next year just because we took the time to talk to them and answer a few questions.

The winches are a lot of work big thanks to Garry and Charles for binging there winch. Jeff Russ, and Scott and I forget the guys name that helped me set up. But mostly Tim during the hottest end of the day packing everything up when I was so tired. I will continue to help, as long as you do too.
May 27, 2019, 07:04 PM
RCG Admin
Thanks for the compliment Brady. It was super fun working with you and watching you pull off those epic low level saves. Just amazing!
May 27, 2019, 08:02 PM
Jody Miller
Mid South @ TTA...
The flying is a byproduct of the memories made. It’s a gathering of friends and there just so happens to be a great contest that happens in between.
I could post for days the stories from this contest.
Thanks so much to the Carr family, and Russ your the man. We had such a good time.

Jody
May 27, 2019, 08:24 PM
Scale Aircraft = Scale Crators
Wow, it's hard to think that another Mid-South has come and gone. What a blast. The heat was suffocating at times. I think I'll take the heat instead of rain, however!

I really liked having the F5J event on Friday. It worked well doing a round of ALES (3 flight groups) and then a round of F5J (2 flight groups). I'm sure this was logistically challenging for scoring but hopefully that is a minor issue as it allows those who want to have a nice warm-up to the TD event a way to have a competitive but relaxed format the day before while still giving those "experts" out there the option of high-stakes flying. I really the strategy element of F5J will make it more popular as a US contest format.

For the F5J event I had two goals that I wanted to achieve. I took some unnecessary risks during the prelims in the St. Augustine F5J contest I wanted to make sure I flew a solid prelim with a targeted launch height around 100m. Secondly, I wanted to make the fly-offs. Well, my average launch height was 104m and I came in second (no fly-offs). I consider those goals achieved. I found Friday's air not too terribly difficult to read. The BF Explorer handled the conditions well. Having a plane in the mid-1300g range can make for some silly flying I still just cannot wrap my head around what this aircraft can do in the morning air! I did find that my set-up could be tweaked further but I'll leave that discussion to the BF thread.

Jason Cole was there with his Neutrino showing everyone he's going to be one of the top pilots to beat. I love having this level of competition on the East coast! If y'all didn't know Jason came down to one of our contests down in FL recently where he and I traded places over the two days. He got the better of me this time but, Jason, I got my sights set on you!

I can't forget about Frankie either! Man, he was killing it and keeping right on my heels. Without that throw-out it would have been a completely different day!

For the "Main Event", the TD contests, I also had some goals that I wanted to pursue. I wanted to make it into the "top" seeded group and end the contest there. Getting to the top is always something you want to achieve, but with Jody, Brady, Jason, Gavin, and, wow, a lot of other top and skilled pilots I know that being in the top 7 places would be a good accomplishment to come away with. Saturday's contest was tough as the prevailing wind was not pronounced until after the first three or so rounds. The heat played a good factor here as well. Being a Floridian you'd think that it would play to my advantage. Well, one slip of the mind by somehow flipping up vs. down on the elevator completely blew a landing and put me out of the top seeded group. Never-the-less I was really happy with my flights on Saturday. On Sunday I came out in an attempt to rectify the prior day's mistakes. The first three rounds I put up really good numbers and was very happy. In the first seeded round the air took a very odd turn. I went out very far and hooked up with some good lift. The ride ended with a good amount of altitude and I knew sticking around wasn't going to be a good idea as everyone near the field was having to work bubbles of small lift and having a real hard time keeping their model in the air. I pushed through a lot of sink and was able to get to the ridge of trees just to the East of the field. It took almost all the altitude I had to do this but given the good ride early and some good planning on the way back in I just used the tree lift to keep my altitude. Being the last to launch I got to see all the other pilots land. The intense change in the air pushed most of models to the ground short of the landing. With the crosswind I crabbed the model in but at about head height it was just slammed to the ground about 20ft from the tape. My jaw dropped. Surely I thought that it was the end of me in the top seed group. However it turns out that save for only a couple other pilots the others didn't make time. I took a big gamble on my last round and threw in around 13oz of ballast so that I would have the opportunity to push around the sky in search of lift. I wasn't able to find anything satisfactory and after a valiant effort on the tree line was on the ground with no landing at 7:30. Ugh. Not the way I wanted to end the contest! Overall, I consider it very good results-wise. I'm always trying to find a way to improve and make myself a better pilot. Watching these guys with their landing game continues to show me where I really need to focus my practice time.

The contest was absolutely great! The camping was out of this world fun. How awesome is it to hang-out with everyone at this awesome facility?! I have to really thank Jeff and his family for heading things up again. Brady, Russ, and those who helped with the winches, thank you so much! Jan and Don thank you for having lunch for us each day! I really like having the simple build your own lunch option. It is very quick to grab something on the fly and also tasty! Thank you to Triple Tree for having us! Really, everyone that came thank you as well because everyone from the pilots to the families make this a one of a kind event!

I look forward to seeing everyone again at next year's contest and hopefully at other contests this year!
Latest blog entry: 2019 Mid-South Friday F5J
May 28, 2019, 01:45 PM
Iíve only missed two Midsouths since inception, not sure this one wasnít the best yet. Jeff and crew really work so hard to make it the best event all year. We had a lot of new attendees this year. Mixed launch worked just fine as I think this is the way RC soaring is going. So great to see so many families also in attendance. Not sure that the Midsouth isnít going to have as many in attendance as the Nats. Flying in the Midsouth at triple tree- priceless!,

Quick Reply