This thread is privately moderated by Pappyjkns, who may elect to delete unwanted replies.
Feb 18, 2019, 09:32 AM
Thread OP
Discussion

RC Diary Pt. 37, A Long Overdue Update!

February 18/19:

I can’t believe it’s been over two years since I last posted on my blog! Where does the time go? I believe in my last post I was thinking about renovating my house. It was the little project that grew from a simple bathroom upgrade to eventually encompass the whole house, basement included! The project took a little over a year and it was all consuming!

The only thing that kept me sane was being able to get out to the field and fly my sailplanes! I kept a log and was pleased to be able to get out to the field on 18 separate occasions during the relatively short 2018 flying season! That was pretty amazing to me considering our season didn’t really start until June 1st and was pretty well over by October 3rd! The Fall weather was wrought with high winds and rain. I really missed the weekly get-togethers at the field. One of our members mentioned that another R/C club nearby was flying indoors during the off season. Maybe I should check it out?

Long story short…..I did check it out and after only one exposure, I was hooked! There were about 15 pilots flying all manner of micro flying machines inside the former ice arena. The floor of the arena is now covered with astro turf so it’s an ideal surface to fly from. I spoke to a number of pilots to get their recommendations as to what would be a good candidate for a newbie indoor flyer. Almost to a man, they indicated that the Horizon Hobbies Sport Cub S was the plane to buy. I managed to try my hand at flying one of these micro birds with one of the pilots who had a buddy system. I was really nervous about flying in such a small area, remember, I am use to flying 2-3M sailplanes at large sod farms. Well….I “flew” like a total newb! This is four channel plane that weighs just 56 gms or 2 ozs! These little birds are really sensitive to throttle! I’m use to hitting full throttle, throwing the sailplane into the air, wait 30 secs, shut off the motor then go looking for thermals. With these micro indoor flyers, you are constantly working the throttle. I was over controlling and had to turn it over to the master pilot for fear of wiping it out.

Non plussed, I headed up to the nearby hobby story and picked up the Sport Cub S kit that included the transmitter. Next week I headed back to the arena & cautiously through the wee beast into the air! There are three settings…beginner, intermediate & expert. Guess which one I chose? Man I got to tell you it wasn’t pretty! People were ducking and running for cover when I got on the floor! Lol! I pretty well hit every thing inside the arena including the shroud that houses the heating system! I actually managed to land right on top of this hanging structure! The others laughed….never seen anyone do that before!! The poor little micro flyer suffered all manner of bumps and crashes but it’s pretty tough and keeps on flying. I even managed to knock the motor completely off the mounts…..not once but twice! Eventually, after I purchased a Spectrum DX6 which gave me much more control, I did get the hang of it and now I head out once a week with my new buds and we spend two hours enjoying the camaraderie and the joy of indoor flying. The best part is I now have a venue that allows me to fly all year around….5 months outside and seven months indoors! If you haven’t tried…..I urge you to give'r a go…..you will be glad you did!

Best Regards,

Lyle Jeakins,
Hamilton, Ontario,
Canada
to remove ads between posts

Quick Reply