This thread is privately moderated by borntoolate, who may elect to delete unwanted replies.
Feb 17, 2019, 04:50 PM
Bomber Bob
Thread OP
Discussion

B-26 (silver) bomb bay mod - Rev 2

After an unfortunate crash of my Silver B-26, there were some repairs needed. I thought this was a good time to modify the bomb bay that I had originally installed. Now, this B-26 has already been modified to remove and replace the stock motors, ESC's and retracts. All of these mods are identical to the mods made to my green B-26 "Valkyrie", so there is no need to rehash them here.

This mod was to re-make the bomb bay to make it better and to increase the capacity of the bomb bay. To make room for the bombs and bomb release system, I moved the rudder and elevator servos about 10 inches aft. Using the damaged fuselage as a model, I was able to make some precision cuts to create the new servo bay. To access these two servos, I created a hatch with rare earth magnets to secure it in place.

With the servos removed, I was able to basically gut the interior of the fuselage to make additional usable space. It was my intention to utilize the very good "Adam Bombs" for this plane. Yes, the bombs are out of scale, but dropping these bombs filled with powder on ground targets is so much more impressive. I could have fit 4 or 5 of "the Adam Bombs" in the bay but by doing this, there was no room for a bomb drop device. So, I opted to make a bomb release device which only allowed the use of 2 of the bombs. I recommend the "Adam Bombs" to anyone that has the urge to drop bombs with their aircraft. This project is still in-process, but I will post some photos of the mod as it progresses.

I would like to point out that I have learned much here on RCG. There is much information to be shared. On this mod, I would like to give credit to Quitcherbitchen for the bomb bay and servo relocation info and to Tom Hunt. Tom's 1875mm B-17 bomb bay setup helped me to do this mod.
Last edited by borntoolate; Feb 17, 2019 at 05:01 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Mar 06, 2019, 10:23 AM
Vertical Unlimited
Nice engineering! I am considering making my B-26's bomb bay functional. Excellent initiative with the release device. Where did you get that double-armed servo?
Mar 06, 2019, 01:29 PM
Bomber Bob
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by Straight Up
Nice engineering! I am considering making my B-26's bomb bay functional. Excellent initiative with the release device. Where did you get that double-armed servo?
Thanks. To give credit where it is due, I got my inspiration for this bomb bay and servo move from Quitcherbitchen here on RCG. He pioneered this for us.

The servo is from a Top RC FW190. I believe it was for the gear doors. There may be others out there. I know the new HobbyKing has a candy dropping mod that has a very similar servo.

The design of the bomb drop set-upwas mine but influenced by Tom Hunt here on RCG as well.

Bob
Latest blog entry: The XB-38 s/n 41-2401
Mar 16, 2019, 11:08 PM
Bob, Finally got time to read this. Wow what a outstanding job! Keep up the great work. Hope to see videos of it soon!
Mar 17, 2019, 12:34 AM
Bomber Bob
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thisguy65
Bob, Finally got time to read this. Wow what a outstanding job! Keep up the great work. Hope to see videos of it soon!
Thanks! I hope to re-maiden it again soon. You have been busy with your little one!
Latest blog entry: The XB-38 s/n 41-2401

Quick Reply