Feb 17, 2019, 11:59 AM
Thread OP
Discussion

Newer to all this have prop question

Please excuse grammar and punctuation using speak to text I just bought a veco 61 and I'm going replace a electric motor on a 66 in Cessna 182 with floats the electric motor had a 14 by 7 3 blade composite prop I put the veco 61 on the test stand I built and used the prop off of the electric motor long story short while trying to tune the engine I'm assuming the sudden stops caused the prop nut to come loose so the prop and nut went flying across the yard and the prop broke luckily no one but me was out there no injuries and prop nut was recovered lesson learned always check to make sure it's tight does anybody have any opinions or suggestions for another 3 blade prop for a veco I thought about using a wood prop but wanted to check first
to remove ads between posts
Feb 17, 2019, 04:04 PM
A 14x7 -3 blade prop is way too large for a Veco .61.

It would probably take a 12x6 or 12x7 2-blade prop decently. Even smaller in a 3-blade prop... down in the 10"-11" diameter x 6 or 7... if even that big.

I'm even wondering if it shut down by being too lean, or bogged by that huge prop.

Although the Veco's were somewhat powerhouse engines for their day, and even a .61 was a big engine for a model, they never ran any props that big.

Try a 12x6 2-blade, and you'll probably see a noticeable difference in how the engine runs. There's just no way you're going to be able to run any prop in the 14" size range though.
Wood of some brand, MasterAirscrew plastic, or even better an APC plastic/composite would be great for what you have. I owned a Veco .61 in about 1975... LOL
Feb 17, 2019, 08:57 PM
Thread OP
Thanks for the info i wonder why they had it on that plane is electric that much different when it comes to props? An i would like to stay with a 3 blade because the way it looks. Like i said fairly new to this seems there are a lot of different variables.
Feb 17, 2019, 09:00 PM
Thread OP
Oh and im pretty sure it kept stopping because of prop size it sounded like it was under a heavy load it would go wide open for a few seconds then slowly bogg
Feb 17, 2019, 11:18 PM
Yes, electrics are much different when it comes to selecting a prop. The props themselves are different in many ways.

With a 66" Cessna, and a .61 2-stroke engine, you'd have to prop it down to a 10" 3 blade, or right around that size... if that would even work. Although 3 blade props sometimes look better, and in some cases provide a bit more ground clearance(because their always smaller diameter then an equivalent 2-blade prop), they definitely are not as efficient as any 2 blade prop. No way.

I'm betting the prop that was on the previous electric motor was a 2 blade prop.... safe bet there right. Just a hunch... I'd bet though.. LOL.

Hopefully you didn't fry your glow motor, or let it get so hot it warped or scored something. When they get hot enough to stop the engine, there's a real problem there. The engine is many years old as well, and who knows what it's been through before that.

I suggest seriously since you're new at this, forget about the 3 blade prop for a while until you study it a bit more. Get yourself a decent APC 12x7 prop and see how that runs. Make sure you don't lean the engine out to the point it's absolutely screaming. You should peak out the needle to the highest RPM, then richen the mixture(turn the needle OUT a little), and it should be reasonably close, at least as close as to not ruin the engine.

So yeah... It was the engine locking up, thereby causing it to throw that prop. Not good... and never never stand in front of, or the side of a running/spinning prop. ALWAYS stay behind it... and make sure anyone in the area is well behind it also. Don't reach over it for any reason. Once it's running move to the rear. Nobody has any reason to reach over or stand in front of these engines, other then they just don't know. Now you know. An engine like that can take a finger off in about a second if it hits right... at the very least it will do serious damage to flesh. Not kidding here man. You already threw a prop... I'm thinking that was a wake up call. Good luck with it.
Feb 18, 2019, 07:14 AM
Thread OP
Oh yea definitely a wake up call hence the reason im here lol i always practice safety. An i have common sense so that has helped me along but ok that's what ill do. Ill move to a two blade for now i was under the impression the guy i bought the Cessna off of knew what he was doing he had a bunch (20+) of other planes cause i even thought about getting a p51 off him. But with that being said he also told this plane hadnt been flown but i found enough evidence to know it has and was also crashed a little more work on my part but i will eventually get it in the air
Feb 18, 2019, 07:15 AM
Thread OP
Oh and about the engine overheating i could still touch it after this was all said and done so dont believe i overheated anything
Feb 19, 2019, 09:01 AM
Thread OP
Thanks for all the info buddy
Feb 19, 2019, 12:50 PM
Closed Account
Quote:
Originally Posted by Freebird37
Oh and about the engine overheating i could still touch it after this was all said and done so dont believe i overheated anything
The "overheating" that comes with a way too heavy prop, you won't feel on the outside of the engine, as it is a different kind of overheating: the burn gets too hot, iginition on the next cycle comes too early, and in general, things won't work right. But since your engine stopped each time after a few seconds, the heat had no time to soak the metal of the engine, so you felt a pretty cool engine to the touch….
It probably has not yet hurt the engine, but a piston can get damaged rather rapidly when the burn is too hot...
Feb 25, 2019, 12:55 PM
B for Bruce
Quote:
Originally Posted by Freebird37
Oh and im pretty sure it kept stopping because of prop size it sounded like it was under a heavy load it would go wide open for a few seconds then slowly bogg
That's a sign of a lean run and not enough oil. If it's an older ringed engine it may also never have been run and it may need a proper classic run in procedure used on it.

What happens is that the heat in the piston from being loaded down so strongly causes the piston to expand in the lineer. And that can lead to the piston rubbing hard and seizing up. But before it does that it rubs the liner hard. This can produce a lot of damage if you're not lucky. Sadly your post is asking questions that would have been better asked before the first run.

Forget about the looks thing. The model will fly better with the 12" two blade prop than it would with a smaller three blade. Plus 3 blade props are not all that common in a good range of sizes.

Quick Reply