Feb 16, 2019, 06:57 PM
Thread OP
Discussion

Batteries, chargers and esc's Oh my!

Not sure if you all realize how daunting it is to look through all the batteries, esc's and chargers these days to try to select a combination. I have a 1/200 scale Bismark with three brushless motors installed, I need a simple esc with reverse (3 of them), simple, low power, cheap. I need a battery pack, small, simple cheap, and a charger for it. The motors are dys G series CF2822 1534kV/1200kV, 2S or 3S, I think 2S is probably fine. I've already run them in the boat and they work fine, they can't all three run on a single esc though (I was hoping). (hoping to run the radio receiver and an arduino with the same battery too)

Hobby King appears to have thousands of items, many are quite inexpensive but to look through them all and choose one is insane. How does someone do that? Some other websites offer combinations but they are usually pretty expensive, I don't need that but maybe I'll have to pay due to being dumb and unwilling to do any research (I do have a college degree, no help).

If you have any suggestions it would be greatly appreciated. Thanks, Cap
to remove ads between posts
Feb 17, 2019, 05:28 AM
Since a 1:200 Bismark only needs about 20 Watts to drive at scale speeds, high current ESCs will not be needed. A very quick google for "brushless ESC with reverse" popped up this - https://hobbyking.com/en_us/hobbykin...___store=en_us - at the top of the list. Loking at the comments, the only downside is that it does need a control card to set it up as required, and this is in a permanent state on being unavailable. With the card, it might be possible to ensure that there is a smooth trnsition from forward to reverse without any messing about to go through a "braking" procedure. Here in the UK, about £35 for 3 plus a card (if available).
For batteries, I have acquired some Li-ion 18650 cells and holders which are headed for the refit of my smaller boats. I don't know how effective they will be, but their use as flashlight batteries and their claimed very high capacity claim look promising. They claim 9800mAH, so a low C rating is not a concern.
Size and weight not being a concern in a hull the size of a Bismark, I would have used a very ordinary NiCH pack and my existing charging arrangements.
Feb 17, 2019, 12:23 PM
Thread OP
mfr02, thanks for the response. Believe it or not I had three of those in my shopping cart, so I guessed right (maybe). By card I assume you mean one of these?

https://hobbyking.com/en_us/hobbykin...r-car-esc.html

The batteries, it makes sense to use what I have. I have a tower hobbies 420 charger for 6-7 cell nicad. The batteries are all old so I need a new one, they don't seem to have nicad at hobby king, do you think NiMH type will work with that charger? Like this one?

https://hobbyking.com/en_us/turnigy-...er-series.html

Thanks so much for you help. Cap

Maybe this battery is better

https://hobbyking.com/en_us/turnigy-...connector.html

(I'm not looking to run it for a long time)
Last edited by capricorn; Feb 17, 2019 at 12:45 PM.
Feb 18, 2019, 06:00 AM
I have regarded NiCad and NiMH packs as interchangeable since forever, no problems yet with either charging (I don't do fast charging) or using. The only practical difference as a user is that NiMH are much more user friendly and better behaved. And available commercially. Being in the UK, my go-to battery shops are Component Shop, who appear at the shows I go to, and Overlander, who are a fairly comvenient drive away.
Yes, that is the card, which, according to HK, is "out of stock". Looking at the HK comment ppage, this seems to be a permanent status. If yours work as you want them to out of the box, great. Otherwise, otherwise.
Personally, I would have gone olde fashyoned and put 3 of RS385 motors in there and used conventional brushed ESCs, which have the advantage of ready availability, even if it wouldn't look as cool as your setup.
Feb 19, 2019, 06:12 PM
Thread OP
Thanks mfr02, you're very helpful as always. I figured the batteries were similar, just not sure. I think I may be able to run the esc's through the arduino and be able to adjust them that way so will skip the card (for now). I have to run all three off a single channel anyway so with some tweaking should be able to get them to run in an acceptable range and at close to the same speeds.

I had bought one of those motors a few years ago, it's different, wanted to find something to use it for, so got two more. Was hoping I could run them real slow, probably not but we'll see. The rotor diameter is large for a comparable size motor so should have more torque, hopefully run real slow. Could have used some really inexpensive motors and it would work just fine, but it's fun.

Have been gluing all the tiny pieces on the 1/200 Bismark, there are hundreds of them and some are ridiculously small. I'm leaving some off, they'll just break off anyway, but it's a task just to glue them all on even though they are all premade. I plan to fix the main deck but have the deck houses removable (if that's what they are called). Cap
Feb 20, 2019, 05:27 AM
My first "modern era" model when I took up boats again was the Airfix Bismark. No radio back then that would fit into a 1:600 model, but the German Navy battleships might have been designed with modellers in mind. Pretty much the entire superstructure can be mounted over a coaming fitted round one great big access hole. The catapult hid the split that allowed the two halves to be dismounted separately while still not letting water that washed over the deck to go inside easily. Important on a long hull with relatively low freeboard.
Virtually no RN or USN capital ships are that modeller friendly.

Quick Reply