Jun 09, 2019, 05:50 AM
Youtube channel : solentlifeuk
Thread OP
I think it was obvious from the first launch and nose in - that single thickness 6mm is not enough for the nose length to resist breaking.

Repair has now been effected ... pieces tacked back in place with UHU Por, and nose 'reconnected'. 

To strengthen and try to avoid such weakness - I then took 6mm and glued second thickness to the horizontal fuselage strips either side from nose back to that first CF rod. While the PU glue was setting - I had wood battens clamped to hold all straight and the doubling depron in place. The PU when it sets is stiff but light ... adding to the strength.

to remove ads between posts
Jun 09, 2019, 06:28 AM
Thread OP
Ready for battle again ...

Jun 21, 2019, 11:59 AM
Thread OP
Version 2 proved weak because of the prop slot even with extra added to stiffen her up.

So version 3 made with return to rear mounted prop ...

... ready to go ...

DSCF8381.jpg DSCF8382.jpg

Specs :

Span 850mm
LOA incl prop 730mm
Motor 2826 2200KV TGY
ESC 30A Hobby King Blue
LiPo 3S 1300 - 2200
Prop 6x4 Hobby King
Radio (FrSky) 9XR
Elevon reflex is set at 6mm for initial ... will adjust
CoG at 170 - 200mm from L/E to Fuselage joint (170 is maiden setting to be adjusted)

Weight without battery 413gr
3S 1500 Turnigy 113gr
Jun 21, 2019, 11:59 AM
Thread OP
Version 2 proved weak because of the prop slot even with extra added to stiffen her up.

So version 3 made with return to rear mounted prop ... double thickness depron and extra CF

Specs :

Span 850mm
LOA incl prop 730mm
Motor 2826 2200KV TGY
ESC 30A Hobby King Blue
LiPo 3S 1300 - 2200
Prop 6x4 Hobby King
Radio (FrSky) 9XR
Elevon reflex is set at 6mm for initial ... will adjust
CoG at 170 - 200mm from L/E to Fuselage joint (170 is maiden setting to be adjusted)

Weight without battery 413gr
3S 1500 Turnigy 113gr
Last edited by solentlife; Jun 21, 2019 at 12:06 PM.
Jun 21, 2019, 12:31 PM
flyin' fool
Oh well! It happens to the best of us.

Looks like an interesting project. Keep at it.
Jun 21, 2019, 01:16 PM
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by goldguy
Oh well! It happens to the best of us.

Looks like an interesting project. Keep at it.
No worries on keeping at it ...

It looks superb in the air so I am determined to design one that survives !!

Vers 1 : (Scroll through the runway attempts !)

Cirava 11 May 2019 Vulcan success SS3 A (5 min 43 sec)

Vers 2 :

Flat plate Vulcan 08 June 2019 Maiden (2 min 17 sec)
Jun 27, 2019, 12:46 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by solentlife
https://youtu.be/LJNi93OnFvc

I could kick myself for not putting reflex before launch !

Anyway - walking across field to collect her - stepped into hole and twisted my ankle - its really swollen up now and boy does it hurt.

But main point is she flew very well ... just a pity that crash was down to my own stupid eagerness to get her back in the air without fixing that nose better.

But she WILL fly again ...
Groundhog curse of the V-bombers. Launched my Victor the first time recently and it was a bit tail heavy but landed fine. Had to trudge through the 3 foot tall grass to retrieve it. Took the SAME path I just used a few days prior to retrieve another model, but hit a groundhog hole this time. I stomped the area down really well so I wouldn't miss it, on the way back with the Victor. Second launch went well, with 45 cents of change added to the front of the battery compartment. https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/show...ht-video/page8
Jun 27, 2019, 02:37 PM
Thread OP
deleted due repeat
Jul 10, 2019, 03:32 PM
A Day @ a Time - Matt. 6:25-34
Very nice sir. The Vulcan is one of those models where it doesn't matter how many are built, sort of like the Lockheed Constellation. I just enjoy every one of them.

I managed to snag some free gear out of a HZ DeltaRay; the wingspan and weight provides some potential to give it a shot with your design with that gear. I have verified it works, but need to figure out if I can turn SAFE off (the original TX is dead and I don't think I can revive it). The rx brick provides all of the signals for the components, and mixing is built in and I don't think it can be taken out. A delta wing airframe is probably the only way to reuse this gear.

Use the built-in thrust vectoring, skip the rudder and just go with elevons? That is right where the DeltaRay is, and with the wing area and weight it looks possible. Might have to put the motors outboard just a bit more.
Aug 17, 2019, 05:17 AM
Thread OP
Vers 3 flies like a true bird !!

Profile Vulcan maiden 13 July 2019 (6 min 44 sec)

Very pleased...

2826 2200kv
6x4
1500 3S
30A ESC

Quick Reply