Mar 11, 2019, 06:32 AM
Thread OP
With a maden flight somewere on the horizon, I am getting a bit worried about my power setup.
Right now I have a FMS 4250 580Kv 70A esc 5000mAh 4s Battery.
With a 15x8 prop, that should give my according to eCalc about 3500g static thrust. I hoped that should be ok if the model is a bit under 3500g, which i do not know jet.
With 15x10 I could push the motor to its very limits an get about 4kg thrust.
Should I try maiden with that setup or directly go for a bigger battery and motor?
to remove ads between posts
Mar 22, 2019, 01:04 AM
Hi,

is there anything news with this autogyro? I am interested in purchasing this kit, but would like to know first if it is (autogyro-)beginnerfriendly.

I would like to install a prerotator also, to mak takeoff easier. I have no flying field with good takeoff area...

Thanks, Kuni
Mar 22, 2019, 03:24 AM
Thread OP
Hi,
I am still building, so I canīt tell you about flying characteristics!
The Kit should be no problem at all for you to build.
Still I would not recommend it as a first autogyro. Why not go for a Whippit or derived design. I am not flying one myself, but there is enough proof, they are excellent flyers!
I do not think a prerotator will make that much of a difference with respect to flying site. If you have a light breeze and the rotor is Ok, it should run up fine with little take off run.
Autogyros are known for short take off and landing, still I recommend a reasonable flying area for safe flying.
The Astik C30 is a really big bird, at least to my standards. I was surprised about the size, even having seen the videos. 3,5kg and almost 2m rotor diameter is nothing I would fly from the meadow across the street.

I hope to finish mine in a few weeks the latest. So if you are in no hurry I am happy to share experience. B.t.w., you are not living too far from me, if you want to have a look in real life.
Werner
Last edited by wernersen; Mar 22, 2019 at 08:31 AM.
Mar 23, 2019, 01:36 AM
Hi Werner,

thanks for your answer.
Buildingwise I see no problems. I certainly would modify several points, like the LG and dummy engine, to more scale-ish looks.
My flying site is huuuuge, no meadow over the street. Still hav no runway, so need something STOL. I have built a Convair Pogo, working on an 1,4m long Canadair CL-84... an autogyro kit would fill the gap "need something to build without month's of research and milling, plane-/CAD-drawing etc..." I am interested for several years now, but it is hard zo impossible to find a kit. I I have plans to build from I tend to redraw them in CAD, as I have a cnc-mill. Then the circle begins again -> "... without month's of research and milling, plane-/CAD-drawing etc..." hope you can understand that? I would certainly purchase a whippit kit, but making all the parts for this small autogyro is a project for itself, and that's just not what I am for at the moment.

You are right, we are not that far away from each other, so I would like to visit you when your model is flying!

What concerns me in general regarding this model: Astik seems to be the same manufactorer as RC-Star-models, where the same ? Cierva was a ARF-model some years ago. There are some videos on Youtube showing strange behaviour of this model. What would interest me is: is the model wrong built/adjusted, is the take-off wrong, or is there a general problem with the model? For example please have a look at this vid:
auto gyro mini-review for RC Star Cerva C2 ARF Maiden test hop (6 min 49 sec)

Regards,
Rene
Last edited by Kuni; Mar 23, 2019 at 01:46 AM.
Mar 25, 2019, 07:43 AM
Thread OP
Hi, Rene,
I fully understand your idea.
the model in the video above has definitely a different rotorhub and blades than they now have. So I hope this was improved. A wise guy said "itīs all in the blades" with respect to autogyros. So there may be a huge difference alone from these changes.
What I see in the video is: 1. the model roles left and 2. model pitches up.
To me the most probable reasons for this are: 1. not enough rotor speed at take of (plus possibly not enough role control to counter. This would be a design problem. I think Rich also mentioned limited role control?! wind from the right side might also have added to the desaster) and 2. either model was pulled of the ground or/and model was tail heavy.

I read it many times:" donīt pull an autogyro of the ground! Once rotor is up to speed and take of speed is reached it will gently lift by itself" but I still made exact this mistake many a time and paid for it.
What might be important for you, is the fact, that an autogyro may be STOL once optimally balanced and adjusted, but for the first take offs you may want to have a long runway to give it time for proper rotorspeed and a gentle take off.

There are also several videos showing the model behave OK, thats what makes me hope

I hope to post the maidenflight here some time soon, whatever the results will be Once its flying, I am looking forward to your visit
Mar 25, 2019, 12:44 PM
Werner, fingers crossed for your success on the maiden!
Meanwhile I thought about having a trainer autogyro; which one would you prefer: the Luobo V2S, or the Durafly Auto-G2? They are the same size, but different head design...

Regards, Rene
Mar 26, 2019, 02:48 AM
Thread OP
I have flown neither of them and seen only the G2 in reality so I canīt give recommendations.
If I had to choose, I would take the Luobo, I like the rotorhaed design and the wooden (?) blades.
A friend has flown the G2 with and without the prerotator, I donīt think it has any advantage.
but sorry, lets not get off topic, there are other threads on other autogyros
Mar 26, 2019, 02:24 PM
Luobo is not wooden blades, plastic moulded thing but not too bad.
HOWEVER, if you have a look through the thread you will see that although the model flies fine ROG in zero wind can be a problem, few vids there of mine rolling in on take off but for that money to learn a bit, can't go wrong. However, I have not flown a Auto-G so cannot comment.

So, going to throw this one in because It is want I learned on, Tom Wrights Cranefly:-

https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/show...e-Fly-Autogyro

Really not much more that 5 - 6 evenings to build and really easy to get flying nicely, To be honest my Burky 11 was slightly easier to fly but not very robust and took longer to build, many also write that the Whippet is also an excellent trainer but I haven't built that one either.

Nice thing about the Cranefly is that it is a wood-bash as opposed to foam and you Guys are going down the wood road with the C30.

Just my 2 Cents (Euro) worth,

Paul
Latest blog entry: Just To Say Hello.......
Mar 26, 2019, 08:55 PM
Hey Paul, Sorry to butt in on your conversation, but is there any chance you have the link to the Crane Fly video (and perhaps any AG forum text) where he was flying the fixed rotor, 3-channel, rudder/elevator/throttle version and doing some wild flying with that arrangement ?? Thanks for your help. Charlie
Mar 27, 2019, 03:04 PM
This one:-

Fixed Head autoGyro (3 min 26 sec)

???

Post 777 of the Crane thread.

Cheers,

Paul
Latest blog entry: Just To Say Hello.......
Mar 27, 2019, 08:44 PM
Hey Paul, That is close, but the video I recall showed his RET version with no wing, and only a polyhedral horizontal stabilizer. It also showed him doing barrel rolls and autorotations and abrupt maneuvers to showcase its stability. Thank you very much for posting this video. I am having a lot of fun flying my wingless 3 channel Otto Jr. Simplicity is a virtue !!! Best regards, Charlie
Mar 28, 2019, 10:52 PM
UPDATE: Hi Paul, Well, I actually did find the video I was looking for. It was filmed by Stuart Eggerton, and is listed on You Tube as Toms PL Autogyro Fixed 1.wmv.....It seems this version was a derivative of his "Pipe Lagger" series of aircraft. Being somewhat technically challenged ; ) I am unsure how to post that video on this forum. Please feel free to do so, as these RET fixed rotor gyros perform very well. Happy Landings !!! Charlie Anderson
Mar 29, 2019, 10:32 PM
Any one have any idea as to the specs of this model....I'v been looking without any luck.
looks like an interesting simple project....and as I'm pretty simple
Chris...
Mar 31, 2019, 10:26 AM
Thread OP
The horizontal stabiliser weighs in at 80g. That seems plenty heavy to me .
No wonder you need weight in front to get it balanced.
I am getting closer to the finish, but there seem ti be so many little things to do.

Quick Reply