Feb 15, 2019, 05:03 PM
Thread OP
New Product

1:32 scale Simple Hercules - 129 cm wingspan

I resizedmy micro Hercules and made changes to all the parts so that they print and assemble as a bigger model. It's a semi scale model with simplicity and lightness in mind. The wing is no longer as undercambered as the small one, and has slight internal structure, pluys somewhat of a fillet at the root end to look nicer. The fuselage also has slight internal structure which it needs to print well.

It is intended to be printet super light, with 0,25 mm perimeters (works fine with a regular 0,4 mm nozzle) and 0,12 mm layer height. I hope to end up with a weight of 500 g including battery for slow flight speeds.

I haven't had a chance to fly it, off course, since I'm in the dark and cold arctic but it's just a conventional airplane so should fly fine.

Get it here:
https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:3430575
https://cults3d.com/en/3d-model/vari...29-cm-wingspan

to remove ads between posts
Feb 15, 2019, 05:56 PM

Does not fit on the prusa mk3

Am looking at the fuselage nose and its 221.07 according to my slicer .
The allowed height on my mk3 is 200 (slic3r prusa edition presets )
Adjusting z manually goes up to 210 so overriding would not be enough .

Any advice ?

By the way can't keep up with completing your designs

Feb 15, 2019, 06:01 PM
Thread OP
Print one part and set it to end at 200 mm. Then lower the part 200 mm into the bed and print the tip of the nose separately. You can do this with most parts that are too big.
Feb 15, 2019, 07:20 PM
Thread OP
I have changed Fuselage01 now so that it can be printed with standard printers. The same goes for Fuselage03. I have uploaded a version that is split into two parts.
Feb 15, 2019, 08:35 PM

your fast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lynxman
I have changed Fuselage01 now so that it can be printed with standard printers. The same goes for Fuselage03. I have uploaded a version that is split into two parts.
cancels print ...

Feb 16, 2019, 11:44 AM
Thread OP
I added three simple parts that gue into Fuselage01 to make the nose gear steerable.
Feb 16, 2019, 05:09 PM
Thread OP
The slant on Fuselage04 is hard to print light so I wthink I' will attach some thin strips to it that should be cut off after printing. Auto generated support would be too messy I think.

I used two perimeters where the slant on Fuselage03 and 04 is and single perimeter everywhere else. The body as shown here weighs 182 g.
Feb 17, 2019, 02:37 AM

f1 and Nacelle01

one printed on a mk3 the other a A8...

might need to do some "fine tuning" on the A8 settings (last time that thing was used this was considered good....)

Do you have target weight for these parts ?

Feb 17, 2019, 10:18 AM
Thread OP
The nose should weigh around 30 g. Those nacelle-parts shoud veigh about 6,2 g each.
Feb 17, 2019, 03:25 PM
The current STL files for the wings have two of each wing part, mirrored. I have access to a large format dual extruder printer capable of printing a mirror of whatever is being printed. It's large enough to print all but the tip of the wing in one go, so I'd like to assemble a file in S3D containing the first three wing parts lined up properly to print them as a single piece, and then I'll have the printer mirror print it. Currently, with both the mirror and non-mirror in the STLs I can't make them line up properly.

Any chance you can upload STL files for the wing parts without their mirror so that I can assemble them?

Thanks.
Feb 17, 2019, 03:30 PM
Thread OP
Well, if you print something that tall it will wobble and make the part unuseable unless it has a tree supporting it on its side, just from the nozzle interaction even without a moving bed. Tevo Little Monster?

You should be able to separate the the wing parts in your slicer. In Simplify 3D it's calles "Separate Connected Surfaces" un der the Mesh menu.
Feb 17, 2019, 04:00 PM
Thread OP
I attached a wing where the three inner parts are together. Are you able to print all four pieces in one go?
Feb 17, 2019, 06:23 PM
Quote:
Well, if you print something that tall it will wobble and make the part unuseable unless it has a tree supporting it on its side, just from the nozzle interaction even without a moving bed. Tevo Little Monster?

You should be able to separate the the wing parts in your slicer. In Simplify 3D it's calles "Separate Connected Surfaces" un der the Mesh menu.
Formbot T-Rex 3 700.

As you say, I don't know if it'll work with such a narrow object but I'd like to give it a try. Thanks for the S3D tip! I didn't know about that feature. It worked perfectly.

Quote:
I attached a wing where the three inner parts are together. Are you able to print all four pieces in one go?
Thanks for this too. That makes it easy to give it a try.
Feb 18, 2019, 09:03 AM
Lynxman, thank you so much for posting your wonderful designs
Feb 18, 2019, 11:07 AM
Thread OP
The finished wing weighs 170 g. That's a 390 g weight for the full printed plane. I guess the all up flying weight with drone motors will be about 600 g. I could get it to 500 g is fI went for ultra light motors and a small 2S battery.

Quick Reply